mross

everclear

mross

If you put Everclear 190 prrof into a charred barrel to age will anything happen flavor wise? I am curious because I came into possession of 1.75 liters of Everclear this weekend. Have you tried to find hand sanatizer? Well Everclear is 190 proof , so that plus some aloe and wa-la homemade hand sanitizer that you can do jello shots with. Anyway I was wondering what to do with the rest and barrel aging came to mind.

JCwhammie

I think you'd be better off using it in a tiki torch than putting it in a barrel. 

Last time I drank everclear I was 20 years old, and it destroyed my gut. Cut your losses and toss it. 

flahute
13 hours ago, mross said:

If you put Everclear 190 prrof into a charred barrel to age will anything happen flavor wise? I am curious because I came into possession of 1.75 liters of Everclear this weekend. Have you tried to find hand sanatizer? Well Everclear is 190 proof , so that plus some aloe and wa-la homemade hand sanitizer that you can do jello shots with. Anyway I was wondering what to do with the rest and barrel aging came to mind.

Something will happen flavor wise but the question is what.

Certain flavors are more soluble in alcohol while others are more so in water. We'd need someone like Nancy to tell us which ones though I know that generally speaking, the sugars are more soluble in water. So, your everclear may be a tannic mess.

tanstaafl2

If you really wanted to do this I would suggest you cut it to about 125-140 first and check its progress frequently. But I don't think for me that it would be worth the effort to have small barrel likely heavily tannic flavored aged vodka.

But hey, that's just me! :blink:

mross

Thanks all, it's either gonna be a try at this or hand sanitizer, still deciding.

Kane
Posted (edited)

It's also not the best possible disinfectant or sanitizer. 60-70% is ideal, more is NOT better, actually worse. We've just established that Eversource sucks on every level.

Edited by Kane

PaulO

I would pass on the small barrel idea.

You could steep fruits, herbs, or spices.  Then add water to proof it down to 100 or so.

Find a lemon cello recipe, or make gin, or bitters.

Kane
2 hours ago, Kane said:

Eversource sucks on every level.

This is how you know I've been fighting my gas supplier to drag their asses down here and fix my heating for two days now.

But Everclear also sucks.

mross

One other thing to do with Everclear, tincture of Elderberry at 101 proof!

tinacture.jpg

• I like it 2