Pick One Bottle?

Not_That_Fancy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As my collection grows, it seems that each bottle comes with a story or meaning. So I’m throwing this out there. Do you have one bottle, maybe not the most expensive, sought after, hard to find... or maybe so. But one bottle with a story or meaning? 

Hopefully this thread is filled with a few good “there I was” stories. 

My bottle isn’t a Bourbon but holds a special place on the shelf. Only cracked when a brother is lost in the career field. 

0039729B-0F81-45D7-BAFC-EF3FDEDA4490.jpeg

Edited by Not_That_Fancy
Can’t spell
  • I like it 3

At my age (creaky, GODDAMMIT!), I cannot pick one bottle carrying as much personal weight as the USAF "Fallen Comrades" you posted.  I do have a college classmate who worked for Seagrams after he left the Army who gave each of the attendees of our 40th college/Army reunion (or was it the 45th?) a 750ml cabernet with a special label.  My wife and I drank that with hot dogs and Kraft dinner mac and cheese on my next birthday.  That happens to be my all-time FAVORITE DINNER.

I do not recall any spirit or red wine tasting as good as that one did.

BUT, I do recall something similar.  During Army basic training, we were given insufficient time to consume our "lunch" before a ten hour forced march that started circa 3AM. Temp at 3 AM was about 75F.  By Noon the next day, it was close to 100F. Guys were falling out left and right.  We had no water stops.  Late PM that next day when it was about 90, "they" made us pitch tents and then . . . (complained) about how the tents were not aligned front to back, left to right, so we spent another hour lining the front tent poles up so the grid was perfect.  THEN, they told us food and water would be available in an hour.

I had not finished a can of apricots in sugar syrup before the march.  I opened it and found six apricot halves inside.  I split them all in half and gave them away.  I drank the syrup.  I know the name of every one of those twelve guys today.  Some died in Viet Nam, some died later.  I have goddamn loved apricots ever since.

• I like it 14

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

At my age (creaky, GODDAMMIT!), I cannot pick one bottle carrying as much personal weight as the USAF "Fallen Comrades" you posted.  I do have a college classmate who worked for Seagrams after he left the Army who gave each of the attendees of our 40th college/Army reunion (or was it the 45th?) a 750ml cabernet with a special label.  My wife and I drank that with hot dogs and Kraft dinner mac and cheese on my next birthday.  That happens to be my all-time FAVORITE DINNER.

I do not recall any spirit or red wine tasting as good as that one did.

BUT, I do recall something similar.  During Army basic training, we were given insufficient time to consume our "lunch" before a ten hour forced march that started circa 3AM. Temp at 3 AM was about 75F.  By Noon the next day, it was close to 100F. Guys were falling out left and right.  We had no water stops.  Late PM that next day when it was about 90, "they" made us pitch tents and then . . . (complained) about how the tents were not aligned front to back, left to right, so we spent another hour lining the front tent poles up so the grid was perfect.  THEN, they told us food and water would be available in an hour.

I had not finished a can of apricots in sugar syrup before the march.  I opened it and found six apricot halves inside.  I split them all in half and gave them away.  I drank the syrup.  I know the name of every one of those twelve guys today.  Some died in Viet Nam, some died later.  I have goddamn loved apricots ever since.

Incredible story Harry. As a Navy brat I have the utmost respect for everyone who has served.

I also have to point out that we have an appearance from @squire here. Haven't seen him in a very long time.

24 minutes ago, flahute said:

Incredible story Harry. As a Navy brat I have the utmost respect for everyone who has served.

I also have to point out that we have an appearance from @squire here. Haven't seen him in a very long time.

I miss that warm body (a Physics/thermodynamics term, you all).  He may be lurking, but that’s not the same as heating us up.

Edit - And so to bed.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 1

Thank you Harry and Not That Fancy for your service to our country.  I do miss Squire both here and at Beer Advocate, hope all is well in the Magnolia State.

OK, here's my pale-in-comparison story of a bottle that means a bit more to me than others whose contents may have been better appreciated...

About 10 or 12 years ago, I had just gotten interested in Bourbon in a more inquisitive and explorative way (before that it was just better whiskey than CC).   

I was given an "inside tip" by someone who I thought was informed and knew what brand to try that would really blow my hair back.   ...The Pinnacle of Bourbonia" (which I thought at the time was a thing).     He said to get a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve, 23-years Old.    I'd never even heard of it.      That made me think it must be VERY Special.     After a little more investigation, I found out how hard that was to obtain, and began a fruitless search placing 'special orders' with about 6-high-end liquor stores in my area, shortly before the annual release period.     I waited anxiously at home for what I hoped would be at least a few calls.    Uh, no calls at all.   

The following spring, I decided to do a little further research, and being just naive enough not to know any better, I obtained a telephone number for the Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery.    Calling the number, I expected to get a recorder, or a secretary, and probably some hoops to jump through.    Guess who answered the call?   Julian himself!   ...Who turned out to a very cordial, accommodating fellow.    He and I spoke for a few minutes after which an agreement was reached.   He'd reserve the only two bottles he had available (a 23, and a 15) in my name, which he'd leave at Buffalo Trace's Frankfort Distillery for my pick up the following month when I could get down there in person.      I made the trip, and I paid for 'em, picked 'em up, opened 'em up, looked at the 23, and found Julian's signature in gold marker on the bottle!   Wow!    The acquisition story and the nature of my personal contact with Mr. Julian Van Winkle makes this a special bottle for me.    I still have that bottle prominently displayed, though the whiskey is long gone.

• I like it 12

Well my "special bottle" stories aren't even close to Harry & NTF's but, here they are anyway.

I didn't get into bourbon until about 3.5 years ago.  My wife used to get bottles (mostly MM) from contractors every Christmas (she's a claims adjuster) and she gave most of them away.  There was one bottle she kept, I don't even know why, but it had never been opened.  She received it in December 1981 and it moved with her and then me a total of 4 times.  Fast forward to April 2017 and I'm getting ready to retire.  I had already obtained a bottle of EC 18 and WT Decades to open on the day of my retirement.  However, I thought, "Hey, retirement is a special occasion so let's open your bottle."  I was unceremoniously informed that my retirement was not special enough to warrant opening said bottle.  "What's special enough", I inquired and was answered with her retirement.  The special bottle waiting for her to retire,  Old Ezra 101 15 year old.  It was distilled in 1966 and bottled in 1981.  I anxiously await her impending retirement.

OLD EZRA 2.jpg

OLD EZRA 1.jpg

• I like it 6

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.