What are some good $250-300$ USD bourbons?

columbiasand
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had a bottle of Blanton's to pick up for a gift, but due to corona that won't be happening. I can't find it anywhere around me. In exchange I  wanted to buy a bottle that someone wouldn't buy themselves -due to price. I know absolutely nothing about bourbon, except what I've read while searching for this unicorn bourbon. Are there any that you guys would suggest that are in the $250-$300 range? 

1 hour ago, columbiasand said:

I had a bottle of Blanton's to pick up for a gift, but due to corona that won't be happening. I can't find it anywhere around me. In exchange I  wanted to buy a bottle that someone wouldn't buy themselves -due to price. I know absolutely nothing about bourbon, except what I've read while searching for this unicorn bourbon. Are there any that you guys would suggest that are in the $250-$300 range? 

I've seen more Blanton's over the past two weeks than in the last ten years. The closure of the on-premise accounts has the distributors dumping it off-premise. I'd hold out for your original premise.

• I like it 1

Unfortunately, during this crazy time (The Bourbon insanity, not the Covid-19 pandemic) you could probably find any number of pretty ordinary Bourbons "priced to sell" at well over $200 that would have been available 9-years ago for under $50.     So looking at price alone won't necessarily get a gift that is exceptional or special in any way, other than being over-priced.   I don't suppose that is helpful for you; but it is worthwhile information.

All that said any bottle you acquire from a large scale distillery (not from the secondary market, or from an an unscrupulous retailer) that is sold by them (if such can be done during this pandemic) will be more likely to be a very nice Bourbon in the price range you mention...one such as Old Fitzgerald 15-year in that fancy decanter bottle is impressive looking ... and wonderful Bourbon!

• I like it 4

Where do you live?  FWIW, there are times that location plays a rather large part in being able to find certain products.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, columbiasand said:

Bourbon is a funny world. Most of the bottles are under about $80 still. Much of what is priced over that is way over that, or really hard to find, and way over priced if you do find it. Some of the higher priced products that do sit around are stinkers that many people in this community pass on, or make fun of occasionally. There is also a crazy amount of inconsistency of distribution of products so availability, timing, and pricing all vary wildly.

OK, if we understand that and you still want to spend up to $300 on something you might be able to find, that I (and hopefully some of my comrades here) might agree with as a reasonable purchase? @Richnimrod mentioned the Old Fitzgerald 15 year and that would be a great choice, although may be hard to find as it’s been out for a while now. Another suggestion that I would have would be to see if you can find any of the Wild Turkey Masters Keep releases. There have been 4 different versions and for the most part a lot of us think they are pretty good, they have cool packaging, and if you find them they are likely $150-$200. Another idea I would throw out is the Remus Volstead Reserve, which gets pretty good reviews, also has cool packaging, and is about $200 if you find it. One more idea if you’re open to multiple bottles, think about Four Roses barrel picks. Four Roses has 10 distinct recipe combinations, and you could find 2 or 3 different recipe bottles in your budget and give your friend a set that would be fun to taste side by side and compare, etc.

My opinion only, if you see something readily available over and over again for over $200 there is often a reason, and many of us aren’t buying them. That includes many releases from the Orphan Barrel series, Whistle Pig, Kentucky Owl, and Jefferson’s to name a few. 

Final thought is look for the places that will ship to your location, or the recipient’s location, in addition to what you can find locally in stores.

good luck! 

• I like it 3

55 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Where do you live?  FWIW, there are times that location plays a rather large part in being able to find certain products.

Biba! Joe

Right, sorry I should have mentioned that.  I live in Vancouver, British Columbia. 

53 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

Bourbon is a funny world. Most of the bottles are under about $80 still. Much of what is priced over that is way over that, or really hard to find, and way over priced if you do find it. Some of the higher priced products that do sit around are stinkers that many people in this community pass on, or make fun of occasionally. There is also a crazy amount of inconsistency of distribution of products so availability, timing, and pricing all vary wildly.

OK, if we understand that and you still want to spend up to $300 on something you might be able to find, that I (and hopefully some of my comrades here) might agree with as a reasonable purchase? @Richnimrod mentioned the Old Fitzgerald 15 year and that would be a great choice, although may be hard to find as it’s been out for a while now. Another suggestion that I would have would be to see if you can find any of the Wild Turkey Masters Keep releases. There have been 4 different versions and for the most part a lot of us think they are pretty good, they have cool packaging, and if you find them they are likely $150-$200. Another idea I would throw out is the Remus Volstead Reserve, which gets pretty good reviews, also has cool packaging, and is about $200 if you find it. One more idea if you’re open to multiple bottles, think about Four Roses barrel picks. Four Roses has 10 distinct recipe combinations, and you could find 2 or 3 different recipe bottles in your budget and give your friend a set that would be fun to taste side by side and compare, etc.

My opinion only, if you see something readily available over and over again for over $200 there is often a reason, and many of us aren’t buying them. That includes many releases from the Orphan Barrel series, Whistle Pig, Kentucky Owl, and Jefferson’s to name a few. 

Final thought is look for the places that will ship to your location, or the recipient’s location, in addition to what you can find locally in stores.

good luck! 

This is all really helpful, I will write all of those down for next time I go to the liquor store. Thank you. I definitely would not be buying anything without checking on a forum like this though. 

1 minute ago, mross said:

Try one of the online stores, I have seen many that have it.

I had found one from New Jersey that was going to ship to Blaine so I could dip across the border and pick it up, but not with corona. I'll take another look and see if I can have anything shipped from another part of Canada. 

10 hours ago, columbiasand said:

Just to clarify, are you buying a bottle in the $250-300 range as a gift because somebody gifted you the Blanton's and that is what it cost? If so we perhaps have a very different concern! I know bourbon is harder to come by in Canada but that is a little spendy for a Blanton's that should cost $60-$70 tops in the US! Not counting the absurdity that is Washington State liquor tax...

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Just to clarify, are you buying a bottle in the $250-300 range as a gift because somebody gifted you the Blanton's and that is what it cost? If so we perhaps have a very different concern! I know bourbon is harder to come by in Canada but that is a little spendy for a Blanton's that should cost $60-$70 tops in the US! Not counting the absurdity that is Washington State liquor tax...

Haha, with everything included (the actual liquor, the crappy exchange rate, paying duty on it, gas to go pick it up etc.) it would have cost me a couple of hundred dollars at least. 

18 minutes ago, columbiasand said:

Haha, with everything included (the actual liquor, the crappy exchange rate, paying duty on it, gas to go pick it up etc.) it would have cost me a couple of hundred dollars at least. 

Ouch. I enjoy a Blanton’s pour, but it wouldn’t be worth that much to me by any means. But all of our situations (taste buds, budgets etc.) are different. I’d also suggest looking for the Blanton’s “cousins” Elmer T Lee and Rock Hill Farms just in case you might get lucky and find one of those while on a Blanton’s Hunt. They are the same distillery, same mashbill, same general retail ballpark if you can find them. There are quite a few people, including myself, that would take a RHF over a Blanton’s any day. 

Also, if you look for stores that ship from Europe you might try to also spot the Blanton’s “big brothers”, Gold or Straight From The Barrel

• I like it 1

There are not many bourbons with an MSRP of $250+ and, at least in Virginia, none of them are likely to be found on a shelf. In fact, in my opinion there aren't any bourbons that cost more than $65 and are likely to be found on a shelf here that are worth buying.

If you are instead looking at marked up store prices, they are all over the place. Secondary market online prices should be more consistent, but likely lower than online stores with actual available product.

I agree with the posters above that an Old Fitzgerald decanter from the last few years would make a good present, but frankly you will be lucky to find that for $300 or less from an online store. Your best bet might be to wait for the Spring 2020 release (if and when that happens) and try to get that.

More realistically, the Wild Turkey Master's Keep suggestion is a good one. The last three releases (Decades - a wonderful "regular" bourbon, Revival - a sherry finished bourbon, and Cornerstone - a rye) are reasonably available and can be found within your price range. They come in a very nice looking bottle (and a box) and contain excellent whiskey (to be fair, I have not opened my Cornerstone yet).  Basically, if they like traditional bourbon, I'd get them Decades and if they like sweeter whiskey, I'd get them Revival. Even with shipping, it should be less $300, at least before taxes (no idea what those will be for you).

4 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

Ouch. I enjoy a Blanton’s pour, but it wouldn’t be worth that much to me by any means. But all of our situations (taste buds, budgets etc.) are different. I’d also suggest looking for the Blanton’s “cousins” Elmer T Lee and Rock Hill Farms just in case you might get lucky and find one of those while on a Blanton’s Hunt. They are the same distillery, same mashbill, same general retail ballpark if you can find them. There are quite a few people, including myself, that would take a RHF over a Blanton’s any day. 

Also, if you look for stores that ship from Europe you might try to also spot the Blanton’s “big brothers”, Gold or Straight From The Barrel

I've finally found one site that will ship it to me within Canada. Is the single barrel a safe bet? Or should I go with the gold?

Edited by columbiasand
pressed enter too soon

14 hours ago, columbiasand said:

I  wanted to buy a bottle that someone wouldn't buy themselves -due to price.

Bourbon is a strange market with a vast disparity between MSRP and Secondary pricing.  At MSRP the above situation does not exist.  The reason people are not able to buy the bottles they want is because those bottles are extremely allocated and get sold within hours of delivery.  Scarcity is the issue not shelf price.  Now if you are willing to pay secondary (I do not recommend) then there are plenty of bottles that fit into your price range.  The question then becomes are you ok with shelling out $250 for the bottle someone just paid $40 for?  For the few with $250 plus MSRPs I recommend the following "test".  If it is priced at MSRP and still on the shelf 1 week later it is probably not that desirable.  Everything allocated, limited,  or fantastic tasting will be snapped up within a week!  

Maybe shift your focus from value to uniqueness?  Bourbon is great in that Single Barrel picks are all over the place.  Find a honey barrel and it truly is priceless.

2 hours ago, columbiasand said:

I've finally found one site that will ship it to me within Canada. Is the single barrel a safe bet? Or should I go with the gold?

Personally I find the Gold to be a nice step up from the regular single barrel, and if the price isn’t too much higher I’d go Gold if it was me. Some people don’t care as much about the higher proof, or don’t even know about the Gold or SFTB so they don’t look for them.

• I like it 1

Blanton's Gold, and Straight From The Barrel are not sold in the U.S.A.  We either pay dearly to order it, or bring it home in luggage.

Early on, I was somewhat baffled to find out - several major distillers in Kentucky bottle some high end brands that aren't sold here.  They just ship them overseas. ?

My parents live in Blaine. I have a bottle of Blantons in their pantry. I found it at a grocery store for $60 in Bellingham. Out of habit I purchased it even though on my visits up their I tend to drink local beers. And Oregon Pinot. Anyway, I would give it you. But, you know, Rona.  

Lots of bourbons sell in the secondary for $300 or more.  But very very few have an MSRP that high.  

Frankly, bourbon is like most commodities.  You pay for what you get.

Therefore, in general, is it safe to say a bourbon that has an MSRP of $300 is, by and large, superior to a bourbon that has a secondary market cost of $300 but a retail of only between $50 and $100??????

18 hours ago, PaulO said:

Blanton's Gold, and Straight From The Barrel are not sold in the U.S.A.  We either pay dearly to order it, or bring it home in luggage.

Early on, I was somewhat baffled to find out - several major distillers in Kentucky bottle some high end brands that aren't sold here.  They just ship them overseas. ?

Yeah, it was 119 CAD to order the original or 299 for the gold. Ridiculous. 

19 hours ago, PaulO said:

JApanese company owns the Blantons brand.  That is why .

I feel like the obvious answer here is Redbreast 21 year Irish, even though it’s not bourbon.

Falls into the price range and is a fantastic pour.

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

I feel like the obvious answer here is Redbreast 21 year Irish, even though it’s not bourbon.

Falls into the price range and is a fantastic pour.

Lately I have seen the Redbreast 21 priced at over $300. As much as I love it that is too much for me. But then I managed to buy a fair amount when it was first released for under $200. When I finally run out of those I may change my mind!

I do see Barry Crockett Legacy for about $250. Still spendy but and equally nice whiskey and less than $300. Of course that isn't bourbon either.

• I like it 1

Since nobody’s brought it up, I’d suggest considering some dusty (aka older but unoxidized) bourbon.  If you can find a bottle of Wild Turkey 8 year from the 80s or 90s in your price range, I think you and your friend will be very happy with the result.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.