ECBP Early Gift Shop Only Releases

Buckeye82
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hello,

I was hoping to obtain some information.  Wondering if anyone has information on the releases of ECBP from 2012 and before, the gift shop only releases with the white/cream labels.  Just wondering if there's a list out there of those.  I'm not looking for the release catalog from 2013-current, but the earlier releases.  Any assistance or guidance would be appreciated.  Couldn't find anything online or thru searching the forums.

Cheers!

As far as I am aware the very first ECBP was showing up around the Country in 2013.     If anybody is aware of any in 2012, or before, I'd also love to hear about it.

4 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

As far as I am aware the very first ECBP was showing up around the Country in 2013.     If anybody is aware of any in 2012, or before, I'd also love to hear about it.

There were 6-7 releases prior to the national releases in 2013.  These were available in the GS only.  They were the older white/cream labels.  Just wondering if anyone has a list of the proofs and releases of these specific ones.

You have any pics? I’ve visited HH at least once a year since 2007. I don’t remember seeing ECBP back then, but I do have CRS disease ya’ know. :huh:

Biba! Joe

14 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

You have any pics? I’ve visited HH at least once a year since 2007. I don’t remember seeing ECBP back then, but I do have CRS disease ya’ know. :huh:

Biba! Joe

I think I’m able to discern the proofs from the pic.

1914D387-392F-4524-9C9B-AE913EA639C8.jpeg

• I like it 1

So I’m guessing you aren’t in possession of these? :huh:

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

So I’m guessing you aren’t in possession of these? :huh:

No, I was literally just able to find that picture, so, I’ve answered my own question.  I’ll be hunting them down hopefully!  Obviously not on this site as I respect these forums for what they are.  Cheers!

• I like it 1

Here is one I got to try at a party a few months ago.

Of course it was delicious!

7EA8BF4B-75A7-4EA9-A979-A0F4E49ECF0F.jpeg

764A21E1-3F54-4500-9D7F-73E45DF216CA.jpeg

• I like it 2

Not sure when this was bottled, but I got it at the HH gift shop in April 2013

ecbp.jpg

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 4

49 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Not sure when this was bottled, but I got it at the HH gift shop in April 2013

ecbp.jpg

Cool bottle!  Must have been the last release before they started the 2013 annual releases!

Mind blown!  Learn something new everyday.

I will add this to my mental list of never going to happen dream bottles!   Right next to CGF, WT101 Split, and ER101 10 year.  

The gift shop only 12 year William Heaven Hill  Barrel Proof was absolutely sublime and in my mind that is what the GS only ECBP would taste like!

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Mind blown!  Learn something new everyday.

I will add this to my mental list of never going to happen dream bottles!   Right next to CGF, WT101 Split, and ER101 10 year.  

The gift shop only 12 year William Heaven Hill  Barrel Proof was absolutely sublime and in my mind that is what the GS only ECBP would taste like!

Honestly, the one I tried was equal to some of the early ECBP national releases in the old style bottle.  It was really darn good, but I wouldn't say it's any better than some of those really good old bottle batches.

Still not sure why the bottle change seemingly resulted in them not being quite as good.

A119 was the first one for me that really even got close to those old bottles.

Perhaps the stupid new bottle is having an effect on the whiskey (shrug).

It's all still good though.

I'm splitting hairs.

You should've tried some of those older releases of WHH.  There was one that was around 136 proof /15 years (fourth edition) several years back with a green label, that is literally the best whiskey I think I've ever had in my life.

Edited by 0895

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Still not sure why the bottle change seemingly resulted in them not being quite as good.

Purely coincidence, but the bottle change coincided with their stocks being depleted. Not as much whiskey to work with. Barrels that didn't use to make the cut now do. 

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, Buckeye82 said:

There were 6-7 releases prior to the national releases in 2013.  These were available in the GS only.  They were the older white/cream labels.  

A hundred years ago when I was buying dusties online, I would see these for sale. I always thought that they were too expensive for what they were and never bought any.

The bottle I posted the picture of was $54.99, but when you buy at the HH gift shop you're going to pay retail. That same month I bought an A313 at Binny's for $39.25 during one of their 15% off sales.

• I like it 1

Could the aftermath of the DSP 31 fire have anything to do with some apparent change, or was that too far in the past?  I'm assuming HH's last DSP 31 made distillate was 12 years old around 2009.  Granted they could have put something older than 12 years old in a bottle labeled 12.  Then there is the issue of some contract distilling that occurred before DSP 1.

21 hours ago, 0895 said:

Honestly, the one I tried was equal to some of the early ECBP national releases in the old style bottle.  It was really darn good, but I wouldn't say it's any better than some of those really good old bottle batches.

A119 was the first one for me that really even got close to those old bottles.

Perhaps the stupid new bottle is having an effect on the whiskey (shrug).

It's all still good though.

I'm splitting hairs.

You should've tried some of those older releases of WHH.  There was one that was around 136 proof /15 years (fourth edition) several years back with a green label, that is literally the best whiskey I think I've ever had in my life.

There is an interesting blind taste series on r/bourbon comparing the old batches of ECBP to the new: 

It's anecdotal, but I've heard from a number of people that the new batches are more readily available than the old.  I wonder if more mediocre barrels are making the cut to increase quantity.

^^^^Anything’s possible, but I’m currently drinking the A120, which just happens to be damn near, if not, the best batch I’ve ever tasted.

I’m still evaluating!?

• I like it 1

51 minutes ago, Paddy said:

^^^^Anything’s possible, but I’m currently drinking the A120, which just happens to be damn near, if not, the best batch I’ve ever tasted.

I’m still evaluating!?

I love the A120, as well as the A119 and C919.  And I've never had a bottle of the earlier batches, just the newer ones..  I've had drinks from the old ones in bars, but it's hard to judge from one drink.  So I can't really compare.  But there does seem to be a general consensus among experienced drinkers that the old are better.  

My favorite ECBP I've ever tasted was a 134 proofer I had in a bar in Louisville several years ago, but I don't know if it was batch #1 or 5.  Like an idiot I didn't take a pic or jot it down.  I wasn't as geeky back then.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.