Ridgewood Reserve 1792 in VA!?!?

OneCubeOnly
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Okay, with it being the first of the month and all, I check the monthly VA ABC specials, and lo and behold, look what shows up: Ridgewood Reserve 1792! Not only that, but it's on SALE! I haven't verified that it's actually ON THE SHELF, but what a weird surprise...particularly in light of the court ruling!?! confused.gif

http://www.abc.state.va.us/Pricelist/DISCOUNTS.html

Our local ABC store is very small, so the selection is limited. They CLAIM they can still get it. I'm skeptical, but I'll let you know. I ordered 2 bottles.

Barton really did win in a way. I don't even care too much for it, and I'm scrambling to get it.

The federal court's ruling ordered RR off the shelves "immediately" (KY got 60-days for pre-suit bottles only) in the three non-KY states where it had been launched -- Tennessee, Florida, and Missouri -- because none had had product on the shelf before B-F's suit was filed. So, I gotta figure Virginia's launch is aborted, since it certainly is past the suit's filing (and settlement!). Of course, I've still seen it in a few stores around here as late as Thursday -- distributors, while not accepting any new orders, haven't been removing it from shelves, either -- but they won't last long even if allowed to find new homes naturally.

I hope you get it in VA, but I think somebody's in trouble if you do.

Predictably, when I called to check on my order of RR today, I was told that "it hasn't gotten to our warehouse yet." I take that to mean it's distribution was (as expected) stopped.

They asked if I wanted them to keep trying to get it. Why not? I said. So they will "keep trying." My tax dollars at work!

• 5 months later...

We have lost a lot of fine bourbons in Alabama (an ABC state) over the past couple of years, but this weekend I found the Ridgewood 1792 here, too. I'm not thrilled about the price ($31), but I picked up a bottle, anyway.

I haven't tasted it, yet, but I hope to do so later this evening.

Tim

If it is indeed Ridgewood, that might explain the price -- it's an original bottle the dealer has decided to price as premium because it's no longer available. It was anywhere from $20-$25 when first issued in Middle Tennessee. And, there are still scattered bottles around -- I know one store which still had a case+ (@ $19.99 per) on its shelf last time I was in. Apparently, despite orders, the distributors never picked up those bottles already distributed.

If it's the Ridgemont you've gotten, you're correct -- that seems high-priced, since it's the same stuff sold lower earlier.

Just so, Chuck. I never even thought about it. To me, it was just Ridgewood Reserve.

So, precisely, it is labeled "1792" in large, centered characters and in smaller characters centered under that, "Ridgemont Reserve".

Thanks for pointing that out.

Tim

I got all excited again that there would be this big rollout in Virginia, as their website listed it in their September sale items (as Ridgemont). Alas, the shelves are still devoid of it, at least in my area.

I have to disagree with whoever posted that VOB BIB was a better bourbon--I own both, and 1792 is in a totally different league.

I said Very Old Barton was better, not the BIB, but rather the 86 proof (they are quite different to my taste).

And yet, "de gustibus non est disputandum".

Gary

I got all excited again that there would be this big rollout in Virginia, as their website listed it in their September sale items (as Ridgemont). Alas, the shelves are still devoid of it, at least in my area.

I haven't seen it on the shelves, but I got two bottles via special order - the RidgeWOOD bottles I tried to get in April came in as RidgeMONT in September. I still bought them. Don't want to get on the local ABC store s**t list for future special orders.

I have to disagree with whoever posted that VOB BIB was a better bourbon--I own both, and 1792 is in a totally different league.

Oh, I agree they're in a different league all right! I think we just have two different impressions of which is in which league! grin.gif Personally, I think ALL expressions of VOB are better than RR 1792.

Please Gary, I have to break out the Webster's enough when reading your eloquent posts in English let alone try to figure out Latin quotes. crazy.gif

Sorry Dane, I just like to have a little fun. smile.gif

"There is no disputing taste". But here's the rub: the motto is ambiguous, and could as well mean, there is only one true standard as well as, each to his own. I think the Romans meant the latter, though, and I meant the quote in that sense. smile.gif

Gary

Just a little ribbin Gary, You have to remember I'm just one of those hicks from the sticks. The last time I actually used a dictionary was to be able to reach the top shelf in the cupboard (along with A-L editions of Funk and Wagnalls). lol.gif

Hey Dane speaking of the heartlands I was reading about this vanilla taffy that is a specialty of state exhibitions including in southeastern Missouri. It comes in a red and white carton. Terry Teachout, a well-known writer and essayist, gives a touching account of re-acquainting himself with it in his blog at www.artsjournal.com. To the right of the page, you will see his name and the heading, About Last Night, which refers to plays and other cultural activities he reviews for various media. But it is a blog and this Missouri native gives a cool account of this traditional snack in SEMO (scroll down to the October 7, 2004 entry). Have you ever had this?

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.