McAfee's Benchmark Old No. 8

Three quarks
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had been drinking AA90, but I like this one even better! No doubt! Yes, I realize it has the dreaded "at least 36 Months" disclaimer (which they need to remove), but it really is very good! The key is that BT oily texture. Mmmm! I admit that my preference is Weller, but I can't get that, so this low rye recipe is the next best thing! Definitely meets the "Cost vs. Benefit" ratio.    

McAfees.jpg

Edited by Three quarks

46 minutes ago, Three quarks said:

I had been drinking AA90, but I like this one even better! No doubt! Yes, I realize it has the dreaded "at least 36 Months" disclaimer (which they need to remove), but it really is very good! The key is that BT oily texture. Mmmm! I admit that my preference is Weller, but I can't get that, so this low rye recipe is the next best thing! Definitely meets the "Cost vs. Benefit" ratio.    

McAfees.jpg

Why do they need to remove the “at least 36 months” ?

45 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Uhh . . . can there be any doubt? It gives people the wrong impression. There is no way this is 36 months! No way! But I do appreciate the $11 price! 

• I like it 1

How old do you think it is?

8 minutes ago, Paddy said:

So you’re saying that they’re lying?

Objection. Leading.

9 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Older. Have you tried it recently SJ?

40 minutes ago, Three quarks said:

Objection. Leading.

So...what’s the issue with ‘at least 36 months old’?  You have the floor, now defend you’re previous statement.

23 minutes ago, Paddy said:

So...what’s the issue with ‘at least 36 months old’?  You have the floor, now defend you’re previous statement.

Lighten up Francis! I don't have to defend anything to you, You know damn good and well the issue with the age statement.

Edited by Three quarks

12 minutes ago, Three quarks said:

Lighten up Francis! I don't have to defend anything to you, You know damn good and well the issue with the age statement.

I know enough to understand that they can’t call it anything over the age of the youngest aged whiskey that actually went into the in the batch!  

I understand that you’re implying that it tastes older, and you may be right in that some older distillate is mixed in, but I’m not the one  accusing them of giving folks the wrong impression.?

11 bucks a bottle and you’ve got an issue with them?  I’m afraid they’ve got bigger fish to fry...

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Three quarks said:

Have you tried it recently SJ?

A day older?

Hey Three quarks,

If you're into Sazerac's value brands, go to Walmart and get a family size of Stedman's Select.  It's 36 month age stated Barton at 86 proof, even a real glass bottle.  You can thank me later.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

A day older?

OK SJ, go drink your ERSB (in your brandy snifter, with your pinky extended).

Edited by Three quarks

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

Hey Three quarks,

If you're into Sazerac's value brands, go to Walmart and get a family size of Stedman's Select.  It's 36 month age stated Barton at 86 proof, even a real glass bottle.  You can thank me later.

Thanks PaulO! That's the kind of advice I appreciate!! I had no idea about that brand. I will definitely look for it,

29 minutes ago, Three quarks said:

OK SJ, go drink your ERSB (in your brandy snifter, with your pinky extended).

ER is high end now?

3 hours ago, flahute said:

ER is high end now?

3X the Cost = Relatively Expensive = Upscale. So uhhh, yes . . . Guru! 

45 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Asked and answered . . ."Sheldon J."  Give my best to "Karen."

This whole discussion is probably moot, since they have product lines in the works to release Benchmark in different versions now.  BiB, SiB, FP, SmB, Top Floor.  Looks like there is no 36 months on the TTB filings, so you got your wish.  Say goodbye to the value pour...

• I like it 1

27 minutes ago, gurgalunas said:

This whole discussion is probably moot, since they have product lines in the works to release Benchmark in different versions now.  BiB, SiB, FP, SmB, Top Floor.  Looks like there is no 36 months on the TTB filings, so you got your wish.  Say goodbye to the value pour...

Wow! In that case, I may stock up. Thanks for the info! I passed it up previously, because of the 80 poof and "at least 36 mos," but that was my mistake. It's much better than I expected. It has a really great texture and flavor!

Edited by Three quarks

14 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

13 hours ago, Three quarks said:

Uhh . . . can there be any doubt? It gives people the wrong impression. There is no way this is 36 months! No way! But I do appreciate the $11 price! 

Now BT is getting bashed for understating an age statement, good grief

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Three quarks said:

Asked and answered . . ."Sheldon J."  Give my best to "Karen."

No.  No you haven’t.  I’ve asked you a simple question in good faith to try and understand your position, and all you’ve managed to come back with with are lame juvenile level responses.  No matter.  As your opinion no longer interests me.  

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Now BT is getting bashed for understating an age statement, good grief

Thanks for your input "Grumpy." I have nothing against any of the 7 dwarfs. In fact, most of you are hard workers. And I am sure BT appreciates your defense against my outrageous comment. :unsure:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.