2020 WTF

ENYAW
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I can honestly say that so far I am not a fan of 2020. COVID keeps us from gathering for our Spring Bash, then an 80 foot oak tree falls through our house. But don't worry guys, everyone is safe and the bourbon survived! 

20200607_170812.jpg

20200603_143047.jpg

• I like it 2

Scary to witness, but glad we are safe.  Here is a pic from the outside. 

20200603_145501.jpg

19902.jpeg

Wow, glad you guys are ok. What a mess. You must have gotten a lot of rain to soften the ground so much that the wind ripped the tree right out of the ground. Best wishes to both of you as your house gets repaired.

15 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Wow, glad you guys are ok. What a mess. You must have gotten a lot of rain to soften the ground so much that the wind ripped the tree right out of the ground. Best wishes to both of you as your house gets repaired.

We were hit by part of a unusual weather event called a derecho. It ripped that healthy tree right up. Damage to many houses around us too unfortunately. Thank goodness for insurance.

The ultimate revenge. You cut up the tree into about 4 foot long chunks. You take those to someplace that will mill those chunks down into staves. You have a cooper make you a full sized barrel out of those staves. You talk to someone at a distillery and get them to fill your barrel and put it in their rick house for about 10 years. You get it bottled through legal process with a distributor and your local store but you get most of the bottles of this “barrel pick”. You also had split and stacked some of that wood for firewood. Once your bottles are ready you invite your local SB people and have a party to taste the whiskey around a bonfire of that wood........

But seriously, good luck with the repairs or rebuilding or moving, etc. 

Edited by BottledInBond
  • I like it 5

Sorry about the bad news. Glad it wasn’t worse. Thoughts are with you both. If you need a place to store your Wellers for a while, I’d be glad to help you out. ;)But seriously, take care, be well, and keep us posted.

Biba! Joe

WOW!   Talk about your bad luck, eh?   This just hasta be the last bit of bad luck for you folx this year.   ...I mean unless the law of of averages has been repealed...

Hell I'd even risk a buck on a lottery ticket if I were you kids.   I mean just in case that pendulum is really swinging, ya' know.

Seriously, I really do hope you have only good fortune for a good long time, and not too much difficulty, or too long a delay, in getting everything back in order.

Hang in there!   I'll say a prayer for your good fortune later this evening, though I may have already used up all my good will with the 'Big Guy'.... But, Hey! Who Knows? Right?

Man, that's a tough one to swallow. Glad you guys are ok. Gonna make for a great story down the road! Sending good vibes and prayers. 

derechos are crazy.  sort of like a super big tornado with winds moving in straight line for a long time, not circles.  We had one about decade ago and it brought down monster oak at father-in-laws.  It missed the house, but nothing in danger since no whiskey inside

• I like it 2

Damn that's awful.  I'm glad you both are okay.  Oh, and the bourbon too!

The best part is that you and your family are safe.  Secondly, the bourbon survived.  We had a huge storm take the roof off our house in 1993.  We used that time to make some upgrades, etc. to the house.

Bummer that happened to your house.  Good news is that you & family are safe, and that things can be replaced (that was a case of Pappy that was crushed, right?)  :) 

6 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

derechos are crazy.  sort of like a super big tornado with winds moving in straight line for a long time, not circles.  We had one about decade ago and it brought down monster oak at father-in-laws.  It missed the house, but nothing in danger since no whiskey inside

I see how highly you think of your in-laws!

Sorry, couldn’t help myself knocking that softball outta the park.......?

3 hours ago, kwshannon said:

Bummer that happened to your house.  Good news is that you & family are safe, and that things can be replaced (that was a case of Pappy that was crushed, right?)  :) 

If ever there was a time to put those empty soldiers to good use, here the OP is!

1 hour ago, parksmart said:

I see how highly you think of your in-laws!...

They say you can chose your friends but not your family.  Not true.  I chose my in-laws over my own any day o' the week.

9 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

They say you can chose your friends but not your family.  Not true.  I chose my in-laws over my own any day o' the week.

Ahhh, you're a lucky person, indeed, BBB!    I can't quite say the same; but my in-laws are fine enough folx, and I would've been proud and happy had I been born into their family.  I have been accepted and much loved by them as I've traveled life's road with their daughter for . . . a very, very long time.

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

Ahhh, you're a lucky person, indeed, BBB!    I can't quite say the same; but my in-laws are fine enough folx, and I would've been proud and happy had I been born into their family.  I have been accepted and much loved by them as I've traveled life's road with their daughter for . . . a very, very long time.

If only… my in-laws refused to pay a dime for our wedding and threatened to boycott the entire proceedings because alcohol was to be served at the reception and dancing was a distinct possibility.

9 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

If only… my in-laws refused to pay a dime for our wedding and threatened to boycott the entire proceedings because alcohol was to be served at the reception and dancing was a distinct possibility.

My in-laws, both passed now, were paying for our wedding and reception.  My wife and I, as well as most of their family and our friends were social drinkers and alcohol was going to be served.  A lot of my side of the family didn't drink and were anti alcohol.  I was worried about it and mentioned to my mom that alcohol was going to be served at the reception.  Her response, "If they have a problem with it that's there problem, it's your wedding."  Good ole mom.

To make a long story mercifully short, Mom passed from ALS about 19 years ago.  Dad remarried and after my dad passed his side of family, who was told a bunch of lies about my brother, sister and I by wife #2, basically disowned us.  I haven't spoken or seen any of them since the day after dads funeral (May 2017).  The way I look at it is that it's their loss.

We appreciate all your thoughts and prayers. I hope it all goes quickly although nothing will be fast enough I'm sure. Events like this have a way of putting things in perspective. 

That’s a tough one, adding good thoughts and wishes for a speedy and smooth path on the road of rebuilding and repair. The best news is that everyone is OK.

For both of you, but due to Wayne’s profession.

I had pt today. I asked my therapist how he was doing. He said he was glad it was Friday. He said he’d been pretty busy since last weekend. We had the remnants of a tropical storm come through our area, and also another storm with heavy winds came through. Trees, branches and a few power lines we’re downed. He lost a couple  of good sized branches off a tree in his yard. Fortunately they didn’t hit anything, but he had to do a bit of clean up.  I said what a strange coincidence and told him your story. My therapist is a good guy, and was genuinely concerned. He was also glad y’all weren’t hurt. Jason sends his well wishes. :)

Biba! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.