2020 WTF

ENYAW
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

14 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

For both of you, but due to Wayne’s profession.

I had pt today. I asked my therapist how he was doing. He said he was glad it was Friday. He said he’d been pretty busy since last weekend. We had the remnants of a tropical storm come through our area, and also another storm with heavy winds came through. Trees, branches and a few power lines we’re downed. He lost a couple  of good sized branches off a tree in his yard. Fortunately they didn’t hit anything, but he had to do a bit of clean up.  I said what a strange coincidence and told him your story. My therapist is a good guy, and was genuinely concerned. He was also glad y’all weren’t hurt. Jason sends his well wishes. :)

Biba! Joe

Please tell Jason thank you.  How is your PT going?

20 minutes ago, ENYAW said:

Please tell Jason thank you.  How is your PT going?

Doing well Wayne. Appreciate your asking. I have almost my full range of motion back. I just have a little more work to do on reaching behind my back. Two or three more weeks of pt,  then on to work conditioning. I’ll be sure to pass along your thanks to Jason. You and Diana take care. Hope to see you one of these days. 

Biba! Joe

• 8 months later...

Seems like it's been forever... 

After months of back and forth, we ended up selling the house as-is (not fixing it) and moving. We bought a new beautiful house in Jim Thorpe, PA. Winter in he Pocono Mountains has been snowy and cold and beautiful.  Hopefully as life continues to settle we can make more regular appearances again. Miss you guys and we hope everyone is healthy and happy! 

PS the stash will come out soon! 

20210202_102524.jpg

20210206_110014.jpg

• I like it 8

Wayne and Diana, I can’t believe I missed this thread, but that happens sometimes when I go AWOL from the forum for a few weeks sometimes. Anyway, glad things worked out for y’all in the end...Hope to see both of you in Bardstown again someday!

Glad things worked out for you. Nice new place!

This is how 2021 started at my daughter's house about 6am on Jan. 1st. Still dealing with trying to get repairs done.

20210101_121649.jpg

20210101_121445.jpg

11 hours ago, Clueby said:

Glad things worked out for you. Nice new place!

This is how 2021 started at my daughter's house about 6am on Jan. 1st. Still dealing with trying to get repairs done.

20210101_121649.jpg

20210101_121445.jpg

I hope everything works out smoothly for them. Getting contractors was a huge challenge for us and a part of why we walked away. Thankful for insurance and blessed with wonderful family and friends.

• I like it 1

On 2/22/2021 at 8:01 PM, lilsweetpea said:

Seems like it's been forever... 

After months of back and forth, we ended up selling the house as-is (not fixing it) and moving. We bought a new beautiful house in Jim Thorpe, PA. Winter in he Pocono Mountains has been snowy and cold and beautiful.  Hopefully as life continues to settle we can make more regular appearances again. Miss you guys and we hope everyone is healthy and happy! 

PS the stash will come out soon! 

20210202_102524.jpg

20210206_110014.jpg

Is that a Newfie??  

Last night sitting in the living room watching TV we were greeted with the almost simultaneous flash bang of a lightning strike. This is a VERY rare thing here in the PNW but having grown up in Ohio, I knew exactly what it was and boy was it close. When it struck, the cats on our laps dug in their claws fully for the leap to safety and the sound their claws made on the hardwood floors was the equivalent of the cartoon wheels that can't gain traction. Would have been hilarious if we weren't so shocked!

Took a while to get the whole story but eventually found out that the strike was only two blocks from our house and it hit a 90'+ tall sequoia tree and split it down the middle.

Luckily the falling tree only destroyed a deck but did not fall on any houses.

• I like it 1

15 minutes ago, flahute said:

Last night sitting in the living room watching TV we were greeted with the almost simultaneous flash bang of a lightning strike. This is a VERY rare thing here in the PNW but having grown up in Ohio, I knew exactly what it was and boy was it close. When it struck, the cats on our laps dug in their claws fully for the leap to safety and the sound their claws made on the hardwood floors was the equivalent of the cartoon wheels that can't gain traction. Would have been hilarious if we weren't so shocked!

Took a while to get the whole story but eventually found out that the strike was only two blocks from our house and it hit a 90'+ tall sequoia tree and split it down the middle.

Ah, Geez.  FLASHBACK!  In the early 1960s before central A/C or even window units were common in Alexandria, VA, we had our windows cracked and door to the back porch opened mid-Summer.  We were ENJOYING the breeze caused by the thunderstorm.  Our back porch was at the bottom of a hill (the rest of our city lot) which had some HUGE trees.  As the thunderstorm rolled through, we kept the door and casement windows opened for the breeze.  We then heard a HUGE crack, and we watched a light streak run through the back door and across the living room to a lit lamp near the front door which flashed out with the rest of our lamps.  The bulb exploded, and the power went out and in the dark we listened to what sounded like leaves falling FOREVER.  After replacing the fuses and replacing a few more bulbs, we noticed that the back door porch screen had a MELTED hole in the metal screen about two inches in diameter.  The next morning, we found a 60' Sycamore tree that had been hit by lightning.  The tree was about five feet up the slope behind our house.  It took it about three more weeks to die.

I have not enjoyed a lightning storm since regardless of how beautiful or impressive.

Back in the late 1990s, our computer modem was a dial up, plugged into a phone jack.  One night during a thunderstorm, we were woken by what sounded like the roof being exploded off the house.  Then it seemed OK.  Next day, I noticed the computer wouldn't boot up.  We figured the big noise was lightning hitting the utility pole and following that phone line to the computer.

My sis in law lost a new tv similarly.  Power surged from the outlet in a storm.

After that, I found surge protectors that had an in and out for phone line.  

On 2/27/2021 at 2:24 PM, ThirstyinOhio said:

Is that a Newfie??  

Yes she is! She's in heaven up here in the snow! 

• I like it 1

On 2/27/2021 at 8:13 PM, flahute said:

The sound and experience of how that storm came on is something I will never forget.

And as @Harry in WashDC said, the dogs and I don't quite enjoy a "good" storm anymore.

On 2/28/2021 at 3:13 AM, flahute said:

Did you arrange to reclaim some of the wood for an architecture project?

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.