What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Summer 2020)

CardsandBourbon

On 9/17/2020 at 5:27 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

My wonderful wife did some grocery shopping today.  And wouldn’t ya’ know it, she bought something for me too.  Yeah, she’s a keeper. I’ve known that for  38+ years now.  ?

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.3b1f4a7268897dcec3e156ec7b672a67.jpeg

Yes!

68626999-F420-4CFF-BE29-EAB45652B463.jpeg

• I like it 2
  • Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kepler

• fishnbowljoe

• flahute

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy Birthday to me, I'm friggin' seventy, Opening this BTAC, Now makes good sense to me.

Celebrated a long awaited promotion last night.  

Before and after dinner pours of Eagle Rare last night on a very balmy evening here in the SF Bay Area.  I've really been enjoying ER lately.  Lots of flavor and complexity for "only" 90 proof.  You c

Posted Images

The wife was wearing her Very Old Barton t shirt today, which ked me to tonight's first pour. I decided to finally open my last bottle of VOB BIB. I suppose I now need to be on the lookout for the crafted 100 proof. 

20200918_205340.jpg

• I like it 3

So I jumped on the bandwagon here of having a bottle of 4RYL in the freezer.  It’s dangerously smooth, and I’ve just about crushed a bottle in less than 2 weeks (whilst drinking other libations as well during that time).  Gonna have to refill this one now........ ?

Bottle kill weekend. Several getting low, so I went with a side-by-side-by-side to start clearing some room.  I had my wife mix them up to start the tasting blind.  

OF1910 was the most obvious, it has an oaky essence that comes off as almost bitter, but in a good way. It’s a very unique profile I’ve only really picked up before in WR Double Oaked, which I also really like. Not quite sure how to describe it other than it has a unique character that is not common in most bourbons I drink. I really dig it, but it’s the type of bourbon I couldn’t drink all the time, but is great for mixing up the taste-experience once in awhile. 

Had some doubt while still blind as to which was which between the KC and HMcK, but ultimately chose correctly. The HMcK was, I think, my overall favorite of the three, just very solid from nose, all parts of the palate, and finish, which had a sort of dark chocolate note that was really tasty.  

And the KC was tasty too. I am starting to pick up on the nuttiness, which is what tipped my guess in the right direction. Can’t complain about it for a casual pour. 

Happy Friday!

C086822B-0AFC-4646-B39E-766D3FABB1AB.jpeg

Liking standard Maker’s just fine, this cask strength expression has been a favorite of mine since its introduction.  At $49.99 pricing it has been a real deal to me and just a welcome side note to the whiskey.   But, at $39.99 for which I picked it up today, it may have just gone to the top of my Best Value in Bourbon category!  I’ll ding them for the new packaging, though.  I liked the stronger presentation of the previous design better.  But, if the pricing stays the same, I’ll just decant it into an empty older one..  ?

18F1C557-569E-43C5-ADB2-0D13EA234DC1.jpeg

• I like it 9

I've got some Wilderness Trail BIB in the glass, football on TV, veggies roasting in the oven, and some Sucklebusters Clucker Dust dry-rubbed chicken quarters on the grill. It's 61 degrees out, sunny with no humidity, and a curious dog eyeballing my grilling, patiently waiting for a delicious morsel to drop. 

• I like it 1
1 hour ago, silverc said:

I've got some Wilderness Trail BIB in the glass, football on TV, veggies roasting in the oven, and some Sucklebusters Clucker Dust dry-rubbed chicken quarters on the grill. It's 61 degrees out, sunny with no humidity, and a curious dog eyeballing my grilling, patiently waiting for a delicious morsel to drop. 

Amen! ?

Biba! Joe

Anniversary weekend. Opened a bottle of Blanton's from 2018. Since it is my last bottle, I held onto it for a special occasion.  It is one of the better bottles of Blanton's I have had. Smooth creamy cherry with a hint of toffee.

I also opened up another special bottle, at least for me. I opened a Smooth Ambler Old Scout 8 year bourbon.  It is a Crown Liquors store pick from around 2015 when they had a few great whiskey pickers. I went through several bottles at the time and put this one back  108 proof with a strong cherry and oak profile. Drinks well below its proof. This the best of the best from MGP during that period. Sometimes a barrel just has the right profile.

• I like it 4
27 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

image.thumb.jpeg.c4888d03a580a792a7696f375c25b57a.jpeg

Had to try it. 4 yr MGP SB. Not bad. Better than Piggy Back 6. Plus i got the last Sarah. 

I've never seen a 4 year. They must have brought it back?

Having som Russell's Reserve single barrel PS from rickhouse A tonight. This bottle is getting real low, I think I'll kill it off tonight.

• I like it 2
5 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I've never seen a 4 year. They must have brought it back?

Theyve rereleased it. What a shocker to see it on the shelf. Really thick, not red hot like willett 4yr. This Doesnt need to be proofed down like i feel the willett needs to be. Its like a less refined whistlepig. 

4 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Theyve rereleased it. What a shocker to see it on the shelf. Really thick, not red hot like willett 4yr. This Doesnt need to be proofed down like i feel the willett needs to be. Its like a less refined whistlepig. 

That's cool. I didn't realize.

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Anniversary weekend. Opened a bottle of Blanton's from 2018. Since it is my last bottle, I held onto it for a special occasion.  It is one of the better bottles of Blanton's I have had. Smooth creamy cherry with a hint of toffee.

I also opened up another special bottle, at least for me. I opened a Smooth Ambler Old Scout 8 year bourbon.  It is a Crown Liquors store pick from around 2015 when they had a few great whiskey pickers. I went through several bottles at the time and put this one back  108 proof with a strong cherry and oak profile. Drinks well below its proof. This the best of the best from MGP during that period. Sometimes a barrel just has the right profile.

That 8 year 108 proof from Crown is the one SA bottle I still have unopened in the collection.  I went through several of those too. ?

• I like it 1
7 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Liking standard Maker’s just fine, this cask strength expression has been a favorite of mine since its introduction.  At $49.99 pricing it has been a real deal to me and just a welcome side note to the whiskey.   But, at $39.99 for which I picked it up today, it may have just gone to the top of my Best Value in Bourbon category!  I’ll ding them for the new packaging, though.  I liked the stronger presentation of the previous design better.  But, if the pricing stays the same, I’ll just decant it into an empty older one..  ?

18F1C557-569E-43C5-ADB2-0D13EA234DC1.jpeg

I picked up one of these for the first time ever a few weeks ago (thanks largely to the advice from several folks here who replied to a thread I started asking about MMCS & MM101). I also got it for $40. I know I've seen where some people in Texas & Ohio have mentioned that the price may have been permanently dropped to $40 in those places, but unfortunately for me it appears to still be $49.99 here in NC unless they feature it as a monthly sale item. This was good from the first glass & I really have been enjoying it immensely. So, while $50 is reasonable, I agree that at $40 it's a bargain that's hard to beat.

• I like it 1

EWSB a bit ago, finishing off with some standard MM. I normally don't keep regular MM around as pre-Covid it was at every bar I played at, but gigs are few and far between these days and MM tastes to me like a gig, so I've been buying it here and there especially when it goes on sale. 

• I like it 2
2 hours ago, Kepler said:

Having som Russell's Reserve single barrel PS from rickhouse A tonight. This bottle is getting real low, I think I'll kill it off tonight.

I was having some RRSiB PS from rickhouse G earlier. Here in NC, we can be pretty limited in what's available, especially when it comes to PS offerings... and I haven't done much traveling in the past few years. So, I'm nursing this bottle since I don't know when I'll realistically be able to get my hands on another.

• I like it 1