What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Summer 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

13 hours ago, flahute said:

You are being remarkably casual about water in the basement. Hasn't happened here in a while but it's a big deal when it does!

It's only happened four or five times in the 40+ years we've lived here.  The first time was 3 inches deep inside and was the day AFTER we closed on the house - thunderstorm water flowed in through a window well and couldn't get out the back door to the outside drain.  Fixed that by having all window well walls raised and grading the dirt near the house so water runs away instead of toward and enlarging a drainage gap under the back door sill.  The other flood times the drain just outside the basement door clogged and flowed in through the gap; I now monitor and clean the drain regularly.  Even this time (6 inches of rain in under an hour), the water only covered about two square feet of floor near the door maybe 1/4 inch deep, and we long ago stopped putting stuff near the door.  Wife said that, after 30 minutes or so of pummeling, the rain and flow in stopped. It never got deep enough for a sump pump I put in near the door to turn on.  Floor was damp when I got home so a quick Shopvac pass sped up the drying process.

OVER-ENGINEERING is my watchword although it took about 35 years for me to get all this phased response in place.

• I like it 3

On 9/11/2020 at 11:12 PM, BigSkyDrams said:

Couldn’t agree more! It makes me excited for the future knowing there are still whiskies as great as those two in general circulation (even if they can be sparse and highly coveted) with all of the expansion and aging that’s going on to catch up to the bourbon demand.  

We had a friend over for dinner last night, and sat around the (gas) fire afterwards. I offered a pour of whatever he wanted, and by category we drilled down to a wheated bourbon. I poured a round of W12 for both of us. He liked it and asked where I had found it. Skipping forward a few beats, that got us talking about what is available on shelves nowadays. I went inside and brought out a RR10 and a Rare Breed (116.8). He was impressed with the RR and is probably a buyer now. So... I’m sorry, I guess. 

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, evasive said:

We had a friend over for dinner last night, and sat around the (gas) fire afterwards. I offered a pour of whatever he wanted, and by category we drilled down to a wheated bourbon. I poured a round of W12 for both of us. He liked it and asked where I had found it. Skipping forward a few beats, that got us talking about what is available on shelves nowadays. I went inside and brought out a RR10 and a Rare Breed (116.8). He was impressed with the RR and is probably a buyer now. So... I’m sorry, I guess. 

Sounds like a great set of pours for the night... I’m not sure I get what you’re sorry for. Adding another figure to the demand? 

I have a bottle of KCSiB for which I just couldn't find the happy spot. So I decided to proof it down to 100. I over shot and ended up at 94 proof. I am enjoying it much more at 94 proof than I did at 120 prrof or anything in between 94 and 120 proof.

19 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Sounds like a great set of pours for the night... I’m not sure I get what you’re sorry for. Adding another figure to the demand? 

It seems like RR is widely expected to be one of the next tatered bottles. But at least now I can find it in any store, any day. 

• I like it 1

Next to last pour of a WT American Spirit.  This one has been open for a while, and there has been absolutely no ill effects.  Cork was snug, and from the dark recesses of one of the “opened” bunkers.  Goetze’s Caramel Cream, Rickhouse Wood, and a gorgeous, subdued leather note.   Great Turkey.  Interesting, that I had forgotten that this was a BIB offering.  

4DF33686-33AA-42F6-B25B-BE86CF23083E.jpeg

• I like it 1

MM46 in the glass.  :P I hope it’s still on sale the next time my wife and I go to Sam’s Club. ^_^

Biba! Joe

2 hours ago, evasive said:

It seems like RR is widely expected to be one of the next tatered bottles. But at least now I can find it in any store, any day. 

I'd better stock up on a couple now then!

On 9/13/2020 at 3:33 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Broke out the big boy today, to celebrate a very unexpected win over the Iggles!

HTTR!!!

Don't you mean HTT . . . WFT!!! ?

:)

Just for sh*ts and grins I decided on a sbs of two 107 proof SiBs. The EB is sweet with very little finish. The Bakers was twice the price, but I can say I like it twice as much. The EB has a nice label, so it's something easy drinking that i could throw on a cube and it give it to my non-bourbon enthusiast friends. 

20200914_194833.jpg

• I like it 3

This is a pretty decent Manhattan but, if I had to drink it neat, it would be a drain pour.  Kind of a hot mess for a BiB. 

new riff manhattan.jpg

Out of OGD BIB this evening so going with Baker's 107 7YR with water while watching movie "shorts" on TCM.  My OGD BIB arrives tomorrow.  I may not sleep tonight, but I SHALL sleep tomorrow.  Maybe starting late afternoon.

• I like it 3

I once again added more to my handle of Weller Blend. When all was said and done, I had just a little Weller 12 left. Soooo...... ;) 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I once again added more to my handle of Weller Blend. When all was said and done, I had just a little Weller 12 left. Soooo...... ;) 

Biba! Joe

Looked at my unopened W12, 107, and WSR in the dining room earlier today and decided to save them for vatting as both my SB Blend and Grandpa Weller 4 grain are just below the middle of their bottles.  Opened one of MY BRAND NEW OGD BIBs which arrived at 4:07PM ET today.

• I like it 1

On 9/13/2020 at 3:09 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

OVER-ENGINEERING

Esquire Engineering LLc and manaboutbourbontown. :) 

• I like it 1

On 9/14/2020 at 5:50 PM, BigSkyDrams said:

I'd better stock up on a couple now then!

I dont think people have enough dough for another bottle to enter the tayter ranks. Theyll need the extra funds for Weller Yellow Label

Edited by FasterHorses
  • I like it 1

Drinking an Ace Sprits (Minneapolis, MN) pick of RRSiB, a 9+ year barrel aged in Warehouse E, floor 4.  Interestingly there is a sister barrel (same distillation date, same warehouse, same floor, and sequential barrel numbers) at Top Valu Liquor in Columbia Heights.  Great to compare!  I *may* have to pour a glass of the Top Valu.  At any rate, RRSiB is always a great pour.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.