Bridge Score Pad from Lawrenceburg, KY (Free History Lesson)

CL
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I bought this bridge score pad because of its possible connection to the 1950s in Lawrenceburg, KY.   I wrote a description for my family and thought it would be worth copying here, well, at least so I can search for this and never have to recap all this information again.  ?

I place this score pad between 1958 and 1971.  

(I hope all the info below is accurate. My books are boxed up.)

In 1949 Robert and Alvin Gould bought the Anderson County Distillery in Tyrone, KY from the Ripy Family.

In 1955, the Goulds bought the JTS Brown Distillery in Nelson County. They moved the distillery to the Anderson County Distillery in Tyrone. They changed name of the Anderson County Distillery to the JTS Brown Distillery. In Tyrone, the federal distillery number was DSP-KY-27.

In 1971 the Goulds sold the JTS Brown Distillery (DSP-KY-27) to Austin Nichols who bought it to make Wild Turkey. The Tyrone distillery was then registered as DSP-KY-67.

The Goulds moved DSP-KY-27 to the Old Joe Distillery (DSP-KY-35) nearby in Lawrenceburg, KY.  The Goulds had bought Old Joe (DSP-KY-35) in 1958. 

Ok, back to the score pad in the photos.  It has JTS Brown, Anderson Club, and Dowling Deluxe. All those labels were associated with DSP-KY-27 in Tyrone. It also has Old Joe which at that time was associated with DSP-KY-35.

The only overlap between all those labels is the Gould brothers.

My grandfather was at DSP-KY-35 from 1951 to 1957/58. He was general manager. After that, he moved to DSP-KY-27 and stayed there until 1961.  I can't remember off hand why he moved, whether he did b/c the Goulds moved him or whether he moved before the Goulds bought Old Joe. 

I've often thought about filling in all the blanks and writing all this down (yes, even more than this), but several years ago I decided I was just happy with the memories of Grandpa and the memorabilia we had in the house growing up.

P.S. It's a lot of work. For example, the Brown family of JTS Brown in Nelson County built the Old Prentice Distillery in Lawrenceburg. This is the modern day Four Roses Distillery (DSP-KY-8). Before it was Four Roses, it was Old Joe before Old Joe moved across the river to the Bonds Mill site (DSP-KY-35).

Is your head spinning yet?  ?  Mine is.

jtsb-bridge01.jpg

jtsb-bridge02.jpg

Edited by CL
Correct type.
  • I like it 1

Cool item, Chuck!   ...And, thanx for the recap of transitions, moves, etc. back in the day.   

I was just an apple-cheeked lad in the 50's; but, had 'sampled' a little Bourbon by the time the 70's rolled in.   Never had much interest in collecting memorabilia until recently, though.    I wish I'd had the foresight to grab some of that common stuff in the 60's, 70's & 80's.    Welcome Back!

6 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Cool item, Chuck!   ...And, thanx for the recap of transitions, moves, etc. back in the day.   

I was just an apple-cheeked lad in the 50's; but, had 'sampled' a little Bourbon by the time the 70's rolled in.   Never had much interest in collecting memorabilia until recently, though.    I wish I'd had the foresight to grab some of that common stuff in the 60's, 70's & 80's.    Welcome Back!

Thanks, Rich.   I regularly look for things associated with my grandfather's career at many different distilleries.  It's fun collecting the stuff.  Mostly bottles (empty are much cheaper!).  I'll grab some swag like the score pad when it's unique.  I thought it was very cool to have labels from both JTS Brown and Old Joe distilleries on the pad.

Most of my stuff is boxed up from the last move.  When I finally get it out, I'll put it in the display cabinet and post photos here, probably under Collectibles.

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, CL said:

I bought this bridge score pad because of its possible connection to the 1950s in Lawrenceburg, KY.   I wrote a description for my family and thought it would be worth copying here, well, at least so I can search for this and never have to recap all this information again.  ?

I place this score pad between 1958 and 1971.  

(I hope all the info below is accurate. My books are boxed up.)

In 1949 Robert and Alvin Gould bought the Anderson County Distillery in Tyrone, KY from the Ripy Family.

In 1955, the Goulds bought the JTS Brown Distillery in Nelson County. They moved the distillery to the Anderson County Distillery in Tyrone. They changed name of the Anderson County Distillery to the JTS Brown Distillery. In Tyrone, the federal distillery number was DSP-KY-27.

In 1971 the Goulds sold the JTS Brown Distillery (DSP-KY-27) to Austin Nichols who bought it to make Wild Turkey. The Tyrone distillery was then registered as DSP-KY-67.

The Goulds moved DSP-KY-27 to the Old Joe Distillery (DSP-KY-35) nearby in Lawrenceburg, KY.  The Goulds had bought Old Joe (DSP-KY-35) in 1958. 

Ok, back to the score pad in the photos.  It has JTS Brown, Anderson Club, and Dowling Deluxe. All those labels were associated with DSP-KY-27 in Tyrone. It also has Old Joe which at that time was associated with DSP-KY-35.

The only overlap between all those labels is the Gould brothers.

My grandfather was at DSP-KY-35 from 1951 to 1957/58. He was general manager. After that, he moved to DSP-KY-27 and stayed there until 1961.  I can't remember off hand why he moved, whether he did b/c the Goulds moved him or whether he moved before the Goulds bought Old Joe. 

I've often thought about filling in all the blanks and writing all this down (yes, even more than this), but several years ago I decided I was just happy with the memories of Grandpa and the memorabilia we had in the house growing up.

P.S. It's a lot of work. For example, the Brown family of JTS Brown in Nelson County built the Old Prentice Distillery in Lawrenceburg. This is the modern day Four Roses Distillery (DSP-KY-8). Before it was Four Roses, it was Old Joe before Old Joe moved across the river to the Bonds Mill site (DSP-KY-35).

Is your head spinning yet?  ?  Mine is.

jtsb-bridge01.jpg

jtsb-bridge02.jpg

1) Thanks for the history lesson! I love this kind of information.

2) I have cousins in northern Ohio with the Gould last name. I wonder if they are related?

On 7/7/2020 at 3:53 PM, flahute said:

1) Thanks for the history lesson! I love this kind of information.

2) I have cousins in northern Ohio with the Gould last name. I wonder if they are related?

1)  Glad you enjoyed it. 

2) Only one way to find out.   ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.