Gonna treat myself - help required.

Ambernecter
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi guys.

I have been working in Iraq for the last few months and am back home for a few weeks. To celebrate my safe return I feel like stocking up the bunker with several premium bottles of Kentucky's finest.

I have had limted access to a pc for the last year or so and would appreciate any suggestions you have. Oh yes it WILL be one bottle to bunker and one to taste by the way!

Van Winkle 23 and Stagg are already on the list. I have good access to Bourbon but as I live in England please keep things realistic.

Thanks in advance guys.

Am not sure Jim Beam Black is distributed overseas but, if so, give it a try -- a great bargain, basic bourbon. Anything by Buffalo Trace ( Buffalo Trace bourbons or Van Winkle ( Van Winkle bourbons/rye) is a get, but I think you'll need a stateside friend. Hard to know just what to recommend because of availability -- I'd think the several export-only Wild Turkey offerings would be worth your while, too.

I agree that anything with VW is a sure winner. Maybe check out Eagle Rare 17 in the Buffalo Trace antique collection. And if you grab any of those WT export bottles we require you to post on 'em just to tease us. grin.gif

Thanks guys - just what I was after.

I can get my hands on just about anything in London (at a price that would nake you shudder) but screw it - this my time to splash out!

Completely forgot about Eagle Rare 17 (one I have not tried) so that is added to the list. I remenber getting Jim Beam Black duty free about 15 years ago. It was okay as I remember.

I got a couple of Rock Hill Farms yesterday (My all time fave) and will get Stagg 2003 if possible.

The VWFRR and VW 23YO are getting bought without question, and I'll check out what Wild Turkey is available.

Any more suggestions? Is AAA 10 YO any good?

Most all of our VW whiskeys are available in London.

Here is a list of the stores that carry our whiskey.

I would also suggest our 12-year Van Winkle Special Reserve and 13-year rye. There is also some 20-year Pappy available, you want to be sure and try that one.

Liquor Stores

Milroys-contact Matt Harris/Marc Wise

The Soho Wine Supply Ltd.-contact Peter

Vintage House-Contact Malcolm

Gerry's Wines & Spirits-contact Michael

Good Luck!

Julian

Many people like AAA, but you probably have enough BT whiskey on your plate already. Try to get something from another distillery, such as Woodford Reserve.

I agree that there is a certain leaning towards Buffalo Trace Chuck - (not ever really thought about it. You drink what you like I guess.) As for the steer from Julian I will treat that as gospel. A couple of Van Winkle 20 YO are added to the list for sure.

Also I think a replacement for the Hirsch 16 I am quaffing as I type is in order as well.

Does anyone have an opinion about Blantons? I have had a bottle of original but have not tried straight from the cask or Blantons Gold - worth the money or not?

Interesting you should mention Woodfords Reserve Chuck - that along with Wild Turkey 8 YO and Makers Mark are becoming more and more available in both wine stores and bars. Not a bad thing at all I'm sure you'll agree!

You got me there Chuck!

The lean towards BT continues!

There has always been a tractor beam locked on me (think Star Wars) towards Bourbon from an early age. I feel for sure that BT is where the tractor beam leads!

That will NOT stop me from accepting recommendations from THE most educated bunch on the block! (You guys!)

Any more info or faves please send to me 'cos I'm going shopping in a couple of days - I wanna make it the trip of a lifetime!!

After your help this is the tentative list thus far ...My only gripe is that I don't think I can get any new Stagg!

Come Monday they will be all mine!!

Anything you guys can see that I should try as well? Please no one say Evan Williams!

AAA 10YO

Bookers

Hirsch 16

Blantons from the cask

Eagle Rare 17

Van Winkle 20+23

VWFRR 13YO

VW Old Rip 1985

Rare Breed

Kentucky Legend

Rock Hill Farms

Well -- and, you know, recommendations could go on and on, there's no shortage of great bourbons, just places to find them all -- what jumps out at me is that if you can get Eagle Rare 17yo, you might also find Sazerac 18yo rye (again, a Buffalo Trace bottling!) to taste side-by-side with the Van Winkle rye.

From that list, definately Eagle Rare 17. Also from that list, the Blanton's Straight from the Cask since it is not available here.

The last time I was at the LB about a week ago they had about 10 ER 17s on the shelf. So they are available.

Yeah, I have a couple of bottles of the ER 17, and know where there are still some around here, too -- I was commenting on my surprise at their availability in England, and suggesting maybe Saz is then, too.

Hey Tim.

I saw a bottle of the aforementioned culprit, why only the other day. My knowlede of Rye is limited to say the least. I know I like Van Winkle FRR (very much) and don't like Wild Turkey, Rittenhouse and Jim Beam Rye.

I am certainly thinking about picking up a bottle or two. I havn't tried it before so I am more than tempted to take the plunge - I guess I can justify it by putting it down to "education!"

If you like VWFRR and do not much care for WT rye and JB rye, I think you will really like the Sazerac. Go ahead, take the plunge, and let us know what you think! toast.gif

Thanks for the comments Mark - consider my arm well and truely twisted! (Any excuse)

Not another BT bottling - well yes but I know it's gonna be good!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.