is there a price you would pay for somthing you are not a big fan of?

john E
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

"Bargain" whiskey is a very slippery slope for the flavor enthusiast.

The temptation to score on a great deal is strong, especially when many of us are wired to aquire in the first place.

Mediocre whiskey gets in the way of you enjoying your good whiskey.

I'm usually very good at this, but even I fell victim to a sale last week where Jim Beam Black was on for 18 euros for a 1L bottle. Over here in Europe, that's a silly deal. I bought 6.

Steve is right (as usual) that if one doesn't like a whiskey, no deal is good enough. I find I get into trouble with the ones I thought are "solid pours" or just "good". 

The truth is there are too many solid pours at killer deals to get through. So at some point, you have to ask yourself if you have a pathway/plan to get to enjoying your monster bottles, or if good deals will perpetually hold your best stuff at arm's length.

There is always a justification, of course - I'd have never bought those JBBs in the US, because I already bought enough "deal whiskey" years ago and it's still in the Western bunker. 

But I have fewer bourbons here, so I felt some "cellar defenders" (well coined, parksmart) were in order for a boring Covid-19 Tuesday night.

Maybe set a rule for yourself - no more than 10 cellar defenders in the inventory at any one time. Or 20 if you think deals are rare. But it might help to have a number in mind.

• I like it 3

I have more than a handful of friends who like bourbon, but aren’t keen on getting educated to chase and throw down for the allocated stuff that many of us prefer.  These friends are quite happy to stock up on deals that I encounter and advise them of.  It’s a win-win, as I at least get to consume something better than Kessler (seriously) when I’m a guest at their homes.  

The JD Legacy green label edition deal would be right up their alley.  I’d prefer that over Kessler 100 out of 100 times......

If I am not a fan of something I do not want it no matter the price...even if it did not cost me anything.  Time is to valuable to waste with things you do not enjoy...if you have a choice.

There are several brands (not legacy distillers) that have unscrupulous business practices - stealing a copyright, or generally being dishonest.  I wouldn't want to buy those brands.

Then we have a lot of the craft distillers.  Stuff from small barrels, two years old, 80 proof, it's just not going to taste good.  Plus the people making this are inexperienced, don't really know what they're doing.  When the going out of business sale comes, no thanks.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

There are several brands (not legacy distillers) that have unscrupulous business practices - stealing a copyright, or generally being dishonest.  I wouldn't want to buy those brands.

Then we have a lot of the craft distillers.  Stuff from small barrels, two years old, 80 proof, it's just not going to taste good.  Plus the people making this are inexperienced, don't really know what they're doing.  When the going out of business sale comes, no thanks.

Yep. There is a certain amount of the “I want to support local” people but eventually the drink in the glass has to be worth the price and for most it isn’t realistic long term

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

Yep. There is a certain amount of the “I want to support local” people but eventually the drink in the glass has to be worth the price and for most it isn’t realistic long term

I guess in any terms of food/drink, I never understood the "support local" movement?  If it's good, buy it, if not, don't.  Who cares if it's local?

I dont think Old Fitz 9 is great to me at 99 but I bought it and ended up getting some 4R picks and a RR SP which I really like... So, I guess I would buy anything if I knew I could trade it for something I like.

8 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

I guess in any terms of food/drink, I never understood the "support local" movement?  If it's good, buy it, if not, don't.  Who cares if it's local?

Make it a life's aspiration to spend the bulk of your support on that which would, in your own unexpected hard times, support you back.

• I like it 3

9 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

I understand your sentiment PL, and I agree with that part about not buying stuff (of any sort) that isn't good.    But, taking care one's neighbors is a good idea.   Consider those businesses paying taxes in your city, township or county.  It would be nice if they stayed in business, yes?   

Now, I don't advocate paying stupidly expensive prices for anything (part Scottish don't ya' know).     But all things being equal, or even within say 15%, I'll always decide on local brands, and/or buy at local establishments, manned by my neighbor folx making their living serving me and my other neighbors.   Call it "enlightened self-interest", if you want.

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.