Buffalo Trace Mashbill #2

bonvivantva
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I live in Virginia, but I also buy bourbon out of state, online, etc.  Just about 10 years ago or so, you could still buy Elmer T Lee for about 30-ish dollars at the VA ABC store.  I have a pretty sizable bourbon collection, but I used to do a lot of entertaining, so I'd buy Very Old Barton by the case as a mixing bourbon, and Elmer T Lee was more or less my go-to bourbon.  It breaks my heart to think about how many times I used Elmer in a julep or an old fashioned when I could have saved it.  Over the last few years it's gotten to where I can't find Blanton's even once a year, and I've never seen Elmer.  In fact, the only mashbill #2 product I've seen on a shelf is Ancient Age.  Is there just too much demand, or a supply side issue, or what?  

Due to being stuck at home during covid, my collection has been dwindling.  I'd like to at least maintain my stocks, but I can't find many good replacements.  VA ABC is having a 20% off online sale tomorrow, and the only in stock product I found that I particularly like is Four Roses Single.

So should I just give up hope on having access to mashbill #2 products?  What are mashbill #2 fans drinking in lieu of the real deal?

Thanks! 

There certainly is demand for #2 products. BT has been working on production expansions for years but that is a few years off from helping with anything that is aged longer. If I were really wanting to scratch a #2 itch, I’d probably be ordering Blanton’s internationally. It seems like that’s the easiest way these days, although not the cheapest. But it does allow you to get the gold or SFTB barrel versions, which is a bonus. 

good luck

23 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

There certainly is demand for #2 products. BT has been working on production expansions for years but that is a few years off from helping with anything that is aged longer. If I were really wanting to scratch a #2 itch, I’d probably be ordering Blanton’s internationally. It seems like that’s the easiest way these days, although not the cheapest. But it does allow you to get the gold or SFTB barrel versions, which is a bonus. 

good luck

Yeah, the international shipping looks pretty crazy.  I have a bottle of unopened gold, and most of a handle of ancient age left.  I also have some A Smith Bowman products, but I'm not positive of the mashbill used.  I was just thinking about a cigar bar in DC I used to go to pretty regularly before covid.  They used to have blantons for 8 or 9 dollars a pour.  I think at that price it was only a dollar or so more than Jim Beam.  I used to feel like I was robbing them every time it was served, and they provided a pretty generous pour.  But man, do I miss that #2 taste.  Nothing better.

Edited by bonvivantva
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, BottledInBond said:

good luck

What sites would you recommend for getting SFTB consistently?

51 minutes ago, clearmoon247 said:

What sites would you recommend for getting SFTB consistently?

I get SFTB regularly, but I don’t order it. I get friends who are traveling to just bring it back or ship it to me themselves generally. I know there are other members here who have ordered from European stores/sites in the past so maybe they can chime in.

Also, this may not be super helpful but in my state (MN) the place I most consistently see Blanton’s sitting on the shelf is at the duty free store at the airport here. Of course you have to be flying internationally to buy it. But flights are dirt cheap these days if you’re truly craving some #2

Most people say it’s MB 1, but I find that Bowman brands taste more like MB 2, to me.

YMMV...

2 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

I know there are other members here who have ordered from European stores/sites in the past so maybe they can chime in.

I know 5 or 6 sites that used to have it in regularly and none have had it in for a good year or so, thanks to the secondary. 

If you want to order from UK/EU, I’d suggest trying to form a buying consortium with a few other folks.  A single bottle is damn expensive to ship, but subsequent bottles up to about qty 10 total brings it down to a manageable cost per bottle.  

Retail locations are hit and miss.  There are a number of solid auction outfits that are well-versed in shipping to other countries.  

the total wine  store in my area got 5 cases of hancocks in yesterday. while its kinda the poor cousin of MB#2, its decent. but at $50 there are other things I would prefer to drink over it.

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, beasled said:

I know 5 or 6 sites that used to have it in regularly and none have had it in for a good year or so, thanks to the secondary. 

This. I think that ship has sailed, for now.

Got a Blanton's last month at my local Safeway supermarket for $54.  I see it there a few times a year.  Sometimes it's $63...  

23 hours ago, bonvivantva said:

So should I just give up hope on having access to mashbill #2 products?  What are mashbill #2 fans drinking in lieu of the real deal?

Thanks! 

The only mash bill #2 product I've seen in years was a plastic handle of AA 80 proof.

So, that leaves me to explore other brands.  They won't be exactly the same as ETL.  Many are quite good.  Some even better.  My recollections of ETL are an easy drinker, very approachable.

I say try the mid shelf brands from all the legacy distillers.  See what's in your wheelhouse.  Four Roses Small Batch or 80 proof comes to mind.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard that the new BT Kosher Rye Recipe (not to be confused with the Straight Rye) is mash bill #2. Not sure how available that is where you live, but might be worth a shot if you can locate it. 

On 8/4/2020 at 6:10 PM, Paddy said:

Most people say it’s MB 1, but I find that Bowman brands taste more like MB 2, to me.

YMMV...

I’ve heard the distillate used to make the Bowman brands is actually a blend of the BT mb1 & mb2.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.