Buffalo Trace $1.2B expansion

liquidbarrels
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, liquidbarrels said:

Saw this and wanted to post. 

https://www.lanereport.com/129517/2020/08/buffalo-trace-distillery-continues-1-2b-expansion/

Looks like they're "trying" to meet the world demand by beefing up their infrastructure. What are your guys' thoughts?

Most of the larger producers have been ramping up production for the last several years by either expanding their own facilities like this BT situation, or building out brand new facilities (Michter’s, Willett, Lux Row, etc. to name a few).

This topic has been discussed in other threads here in the past. I think there is some consensus that if the demand keeps increasing the way it has been for several years now, and especially if demand ever takes off in Asia the way people have projected it would, these expansions and new construction won’t necessarily be enough to keep up. But if Asia never takes off and domestic demand finally plateaus or even starts dropping off, in a few years we could see excess supply, at least on the standard shelf products that are aged around 4-8 years on average. 

Hard to say either way, but regardless of what happens with demand the increased production is better for us as consumers

• I like it 3

Here’s a couple of past threads from here on the subject. There may be a couple more, but I’m too lazy and tired to look for ‘em. :unsure:

https://www.kentucky.com/news/business/article78606642.html

BT actually/kinda started their expansion earlier. Many years ago when Sazerac first bought the distillery, they sold two rickhouses to the state. They bought them back and started refurbishing and filling them before or about the time their $1.2 billion dollar expansion was announced.

Back in 2018, a few of us visited BT to do a barrel pick. We were very fortunate to be privy to a private tour and looks behind the scene of what was going on. It was remarkable to say the least.

Yes I’m an admitted BT fanboy, and Weller Whore. All that aside.......?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

14 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Yes I’m an admitted BT fanboy, and Weller Whore. All that aside.......?

Biba! Joe

Same here! Drinking BT as i type. I like the weller line up as well, but won't pay the crazy amounts. Where abouts in IL are you? 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.