What's Open On Your Bar? 2020 to........

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 minutes ago, B3Nut said:

Just 3...and it's all that's there in the house: EWB, EWSB, FC103. 

No WT 101 Todd? ;)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Probably about 30 bottles....off the top of my head, (bear with me, I still don't know all of the acronyms)5 variations of KC, WT101, EWB,  EWBIB,  Stagg Jr,  McKenna 10yr, MMCS, BT, MM101, Fighting Cock, Rittenhouse Rye, Baby Saz, OF1920, OGD114, VOB90, Mellow Corn,  OGBIB, 5-6 bottles of New Riff, JW Dant, 3 variations of Starlight rye, JDBP, ECBP,(3 releases), EC rye, Dad's Hat rye, VOB86, Old BardstownBIB...there's more, but I'm too lazy to check..

Edited by Skinsfan1311

Attrition and replacements have hit the Open Dozen:   The Lagavulin 16 toasted its last, and was succeeded by Ledaig 10.  It seems to lack some of the unique brininess of old.  The EHTayLor Single Barrel earned its rest  and stepping up is Garrison Brothers Small Batch.    For some reason this goes great with  vanilla ice cream.    And the Willett Rye was swapped out for John J. Bowman.     

Moved into a new house this month and turned one of my library shelves into a bourbon shelf/home bar.  Prior to that, I just kept 10-12 open in my pantry at my old home.  These are my current open bottles.

bourbon shelf.jpeg

• I like it 4

On 8/19/2020 at 11:28 PM, Kepler said:

I just counted 74 bourbon and ryes opened at home

I looked at my spreadsheet and my current opens are exactly 74 too (I see you since had to one up me).  I try to limit my opens to what I can fit on the bar (probably less than 5 unopened bottles in there).

IMG_3218.jpg

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I looked at my spreadsheet and my current opens are exactly 74 too (I see you since had to one up me).  I try to limit my opens to what I can fit on the bar (probably less than 5 unopened bottles in there).

IMG_3218.jpg

Nice bar!  I really like the tile work.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, BigRich said:

Nice bar!  I really like the tile work.

Thanks.  My wife has an eye for design.  I'm responsible for the contents of the whiskey bar and wine room though.

• I like it 2

I only like to have a few bottles open at once and usually a mix of stuff. 

Wild Turkey 101 rye

Catcher's Rye (was a gift...yikes!)

Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof

Old Tub

Dickel 12 yr

Neely's "Honey Pass The Biscuits" Single Barrel

Lagavulin Offerman edition

Oban 14

22 hours ago, FlounderinDC said:

I only like to have a few bottles open at once and usually a mix of stuff. 

Wild Turkey 101 rye

Catcher's Rye (was a gift...yikes!)

Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof

Old Tub

Dickel 12 yr

Neely's "Honey Pass The Biscuits" Single Barrel

Lagavulin Offerman edition

Oban 14

I'd be interested in your thoughts of the Neeley.  I liked mine a lot.

I guess I'm an outlier.  I don't know for sue, but it's safe to say I have somewhere between 100 - 120 open bottles.  Majority bourbon, but a fair number of other whiskies as well (I'm not counting other liquors/liquers, probably another 10 -15 of those).  Multiple iterations from every major distillery.  I do have a lot of bottles that probably only have a couple of pours out of them.  If a bottle gets less than half full I tend to either start working on it more diligently, or I transfer it to a smaller bottle, like a .375.  What can I say, I like variety.

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2020 at 9:38 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

No WT 101 Todd? ;)

Biba! Joe

I should remedy that, especially since right now all I have on deck is EWSB and MM! LOL....

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2020 at 6:57 PM, Bret Bret said:

I'd be interested in your thoughts of the Neeley.  I liked mine a lot.

Sorry I'm just now getting back to this. Man...that Neeley....was interesting. I got one at my local shop since it was fairly inexpensive and something different. I really thought it was just going to be young corn slapping me across the face, I didn't think I was going to like it. But I did...I was pretty surprised. I thought it was young, but not in an off putting way. It had the bread and butter notes and kinda crept up to that line of the youngness overwhelming it, but it didn't cross it. And they nailed the name...it was like hot biscuits, butter and honey. Something a little different...not great but good. 

Sipping a John J. Bowman here at the beach bar.     The  open choices for exploration:

1.  OF Statesman.    This has become a staple lately for me.   Quintessential OF,  with that wonderful vanilla/leather flavor,  at the perfect proof.

2.  John J. Bowman.    Good well-aged, rye-forward bourbon with balance and character.   

3.   Baller from St. George.   This was a mistake -  it tastes of linoleum.    Its future lies in plastic bottles mixed with Diet Coke for transport to the beach.   If it's lucky.

4.   Woodinville.   Doggone great bourbon that just happens to be craft.   A gift from my wife,   bless her.   

5.   Old Weller Antique 107.    This is  a dusty from Stitzel -Weller days.    It got passed around at a wedding reception a couple weeks ago and was loved by all.   

6.    Great King Street Glasgow Blend.     I like this a lot;  reminds me of Johnny Walker Swing

7.   Bruichladdich "The Classic Laddie"    I haven't opened this one yet;  it's the NAS version of the old 10-year staple.    

8.    Kilchoman Machir Bay.     My neighbors like to smoke cigars.  This is for them.    

9.    Belle Meade Reserve.     This is well-aged MGP juice, expertly blended at a hairy-chest proof.   Just fantastic stuff.

10.   WT Russell's Reserve Single Barrel.    I just polished off a Rare Breed, and this is the next man up.    A bar without an open bottle of Turkey  is unthinkable.   

11.    Buffalo Trace Kosher Rye.     It's Saz rye at a higher proof with a 7-year age statement.    I love these Kentucky-style ryes,.

12.    Buffalo Trace Kosher Wheat .   The is 7-year Weller at a unique proof,   and the bottle is down to its last pour.    Fun while at lasted.    

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 4

32 bourbons

7 ryes

7 single malts

Plus a Mellow Corn and a Redbreast 12 cask strength. Focusing on open bottles during Covid has done wonders to bring down the open bottle count (not as much progress on the overall count, but some).

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.