Early Times Private Stock

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

80 proof. Looks oldish 1980’s or 90’s maybe. Says one bar liter. Anyone know about this?

Tax strip?  Bar code somewhere on label?  Metric or imperial measurement?

Pic would of bottom of bottle may also shed light on the year the glass was manufactured.  

I’ll grab one.. its in a weird place... would have got one  for $27.99 but the 80 proof scared me away. I saw a locked thread on it from 2001 but were just talking about the meaning of one bar liter....Anyway  no pics of it on the net. If its a nothing i can live with that.. will post when i get it. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b4df17a253ef3b7b2c73d73235ad96e4.jpeg
theres a bar code and a faded laser code or pronted code on/in the glass. Ill see if I can decipher it. 

Edited by FasterHorses

DSP switched from 414 to 354 in what, the mid 1990s?  So, it can't be older than that.  Also, at some point, Early Times changed from bourbon to "Kentucky Whiskey" due to some percentage of used cooperage in the batch.

I recall in some places bars use only one liter bottles.  It helps with inventory or something for excise.

• I like it 1

29 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

So probably not that old.. just different packaging for a bar?

Yeah, or it could be package meant for export market.

I doubt it's any older than late 1990s.  You could try and decipher the laser code, or look for a two digit number on the bottom of the bottle.

• 11 months later...

Private Stock is a higher end variety of Early Times stock Kentucky Whiskey. Its a fantastic whiskey for mix-drinks if you like decent Kentucky flavors. These were popular in the late 90s and early 2000s, and just becoming vintage in today's marketplace. Since Private Stock had a lower production than their standard stuff... It tends to be about double the price. So whatever regular Early Times from 1998-2002 sells for today... Private Stock is roughly twice that. I would estimate a 1000mL bottle of Early Times: Private Stock that was bottled about 20 years ago... to be roughly $75-$100/bottle.

Edited by RedManaBattery
  • I like it 2

4 hours ago, RedManaBattery said:

Private Stock is a higher end variety of Early Times stock Kentucky Whiskey. Its a fantastic whiskey for mix-drinks if you like decent Kentucky flavors. These were popular in the late 90s and early 2000s, and just becoming vintage in today's marketplace. Since Private Stock had a lower production than their standard stuff... It tends to be about double the price. So whatever regular Early Times from 1998-2002 sells for today... Private Stock is roughly twice that. I would estimate a 1000mL bottle of Early Times: Private Stock that was bottled about 20 years ago... to be roughly $75-$100/bottle.

I remember when they were coming back with a 'straight bourbon' maybe 7-8 yrs ago (Early Times 354, odd square bottle?) I took a flyer and it was pretty bad.  When they released the BIB, folks were impressed and it was cheap enough to take another chance - and boy was that a different story.  But I can honestly say that was the only ET I've tried that I'd drink again if offered a pour.  The non-straight whiskey I thought was pretty bad, although that isn't to say there aren't folks tripping over themselves to buy it because it's "old and therefore must be good" :lol: 

21 hours ago, RedManaBattery said:

Thanks RedManBattery.. appreciate the info. My cousin raved about it and there should be a couple more on the shelf.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.