Hypothetical liquor store: $80

k-train
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hypothetical liquor store: $80  

37 members have voted

1. 1. You've got $80 to spend & this is what's on the shelf. Which bottle are you leaving with?

• Stagg Jr. - $79.95
    • Blanton's SiB - $79.95
    • OWA - $79.95
    • ECBP - $65.95
    • IWH15 - $74.95
    • HW Bourye - $79.95
    • EHTSmB - $79.95
    • RH Dareringer - $74.95
    • WP Homestock - $72.95
    • W12 -$74.95

6 minutes ago, k-train said:

You are tasked with buying a bottle & given $80 to do so. Which of these do you pick?

The Weller 12 - simply because it is delicious and a Lottery item in my state - therefore never on my bar.  The others I can find - many tough choices here with ECBP being almost a toss up.   Makes me appreciate its availability.

• I like it 1

I picked the W12; however, I'm pleased to say I've never paid over $55 for it, so your poll gives me some perspective and makes me appreciative that my local has been willing to keep it reasonably priced despite being "kept in the back" and allocated.  

• I like it 1

Zero, sorry I would put this whole list as well as the 100 & 125/bottle lists in the "what did you pass on today" thread.  I must be an old faht and stingy at that because I don't shop at these price levels, except perhaps a nice 4RSB PS or some extremely rare purchase such as WTMK. Just to be a good sport and play along I'd take a WTRB ( bourbon OR rye and an OGD BiB). Play on playahs!!

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

ECBP, the rest of those prices are ridiculous.  

I also picked ECBP, but IRL I would likely walk out empty handed as everything is marked up way too much for me to support this store.   

Ten bottlings listed, ten passes. I’m gettin’ too old for this s**t.  ?

Biba! Joe

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

I'm good with the ECBP but all the rest are passes.

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

If anyone were our Sgt. Hulka, it’s you Joe!  ?

• I like it 1

Nice Joe. Yes, I admit that I resemble that remark. As a side note, the Chapeze distillery to boot. Cool.  ?Win, win!

Biba! Ken

PS  My nephew, Galvin0791 can explain the Ken refrerence.  

• I like it 1

None and I'm not returning to this store. EHTSmB is on the shelf all day every day for $40 +/- here, and the rest are similarly overpriced.

(I don't mean to sound cranky ?)

Just now, fanostra said:

None and I'm not returning to this store. EHTSmB is on the shelf all day every day for $40 +/- here, and the rest are similarly overpriced.

(I don't mean to sound cranky ?)

You’re not cranky, you’re just completely missing the simple intents of these exercises from the OP.  ?

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, Kepler said:

All of these are well over MSRP.  Pass.

The pricing for all of non-BT items are exactly what they cost at state-controlled ABC stores here in NC. So they are in fact very, very, very close to srp.

I added $20 onto the prices of what the BT stuff costs here, because that is all highly allocated here (and for a lot of other places). I figured offering things of that nature at the srp would be pretty obvious choices for most folks compared to the other things listed... and that would kinda defeat the purpose.

The entire point of this exercise is to get folks thinking outside of their comfort zone a little bit, as well as to see just where that line of "this is too much to pay for that" lies with a lot of the more hyped up items. SO I didn't add a "pass" option to the poll because that seems like a bit of an easy out. It is a hypothetical situation after all, so there really shouldn't be much of a problem with someone looking at the list and choosing what's the least of all evils available if they think these are all too expensive. That... is way more interesting than a cop out IMO.

Edited by k-train

4 hours ago, k-train said:

The pricing for all of non-BT items are exactly what they cost at state-controlled ABC stores here in NC. So they are in fact very, very, very close to srp.

I added $20 onto the prices of what the BT stuff costs here, because that is all highly allocated here (and for a lot of other places). I figured offering things of that nature at the srp would be pretty obvious choices for most folks compared to the other things listed... and that would kinda defeat the purpose.

The entire point of this exercise is to get folks thinking outside of their comfort zone a little bit, as well as to see just where that line of "this is too much to pay for that" lies with a lot of the more hyped up items. SO I didn't add a "pass" option to the poll because that seems like a bit of an easy out. It is a hypothetical situation after all, so there really shouldn't be much of a problem with someone looking at the list and choosing what's the least of all evils available if they think these are all too expensive. That... is way more interesting than a cop out IMO.

Sure I understand this, no problem. The lower priced hypothetical liquor stores had more realistic pricing in my neck of the woods compared to the 80 and higher ones. In this $80 category every bottle is a good 20 bucks higher than I'm used to, with the lone exception of ECBP which is at least $10 over. That's why I pass.  But Im nitpicking, because all of these are a very fun exercise, well done!

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

There aren’t too many stores left that mark stuff up a medium amount. Either they don’t or they try to capture secondary like prices. The NDP/craft stuff I’m not paying this much for. The BT stuff depends on your tolerance for markups. EC BP is $60 MSRP but really good so $6 wouldn’t stop me if I wanted one.

• I like it 1

The only three that are remotely interesting to me there are Stagg Jr, ECBP, and W12.  I'd probably choose the Stagg Jr of the bunch as I usually find I enjoy that one the most of those.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.