organization?

Clay34
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

17 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I have been waiting for this post since this thread popped up!  ?You didn’t disappoint Harry, but I feel you’ve only scratch the surface with us...?

Uh, wife asked me a couple days ago WHY there's a partially consumed OF Rye in the closet next to my shoes.  ANSWER - So I don't have to make a special trip downstairs for refills if the OGD BIB in my trash can next to my TV chair in the other room suddenly runs dry.  Her response - classic eye-roll.

Note to self - Ever considered whether you have a stash problem if not a drinking problem?  ANS - Yeah, thought and think about BOTH a lot.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Kepler said:

You come on down too 0895.   And yes, In & Out Burger is here now so yes by all means put it on your list, but only if you also add Whataburger too.  It's a Texas thing...

IT IS!  Vacationed for two weeks in Texas a few years ago - drove from El Paso to Big Bend NP to San Antonio to Austin to Ft. Worth to Houston.  In Austin we hit Whataburger for lunch while driving around looking for Threadgills for chicken fried steak.  Went to Threadgills for dinner that day.  Slept until Noon the next day and didn't eat until the next breakfast.  MAHVELOUS even if I did limit my drinking to one beer at dinner.

• I like it 1

I got a small liquor cabinet/bar in my dining room.  The cheaper daily drinkers go on the top of the bar/cabinet and the more expensive stuff goes behind the doors.  I got a bin in the garage for some unopened stuff.

7 hours ago, BigRich said:

By distillery in alphabetical order.

Pics, or I call BS Rich. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

On 9/13/2020 at 3:31 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Uh, wife asked me a couple days ago WHY there's a partially consumed OF Rye in the closet next to my shoes.  ANSWER - So I don't have to make a special trip downstairs for refills if the OGD BIB in my trash can next to my TV chair in the other room suddenly runs dry.  Her response - classic eye-roll.

Note to self - Ever considered whether you have a stash problem if not a drinking problem?  ANS - Yeah, thought and think about BOTH a lot.

Heehee!  Eye roll was all she could muster after your quick reply that made perfect sense to all of your friends, here...  ?

I finally did realize a stash problem when I was very close to legitimizing creating a stash in Littlesmokinjoe’s nursery closet when she was in her crib.  I figured that would be an ideal spot, but Mrssmokinjoe wasted little time moving me off of my position...  ?

• I like it 5

organized by whatever I'm drinking lately sits by my desks.  The bulk organized by however bottles fit in boxes and the boxes fit on 4'x8' shelves.

• I like it 3

I have two shelves behind my bar. The space between the bottom shelf and the top is 1 inch taller than a bottle of ER. Tall ones I like go on the bottom, my favorite short ones go on top. The rest go in a cabinet above the bar (along with all my other spirits).

No order in the bar. As far as the bunker goes, I will group bunches together in boxes (e.g. a case or two of RR SiB) for a good fit whether or not they have a common source. And I am always on the lookout for good boxes, particularly to hold high/odd sized bottles. The folks at Liquor Barn didn't know how to process my excitement when I asked if I could have the empty Blanton's and Col EHT boxes that I saw on the floor. Frankly, I was more excited to find the boxes than if I would have found what they had originally contained. Yes, I have problems...

1 hour ago, fanostra said:

...The folks at Liquor Barn didn't know how to process my excitement when I asked if I could have the empty Blanton's and Col EHT boxes that I saw on the floor. Frankly, I was more excited to find the boxes than if I would have found what they had originally contained. Yes, I have problems...

nah, just shows great organizational skills.  are you married to Marie Kondo?

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

nah, just shows great organizational skills.  are you married to Marie Kondo?

The boxes bring you joy. 

Note, my wife learned how to fold my T-shirts from Marie and life is good.  We probably have too much organization in the house - no not really.  Organization is an attempt to settle a cluttered mind.  A way of imposing control over chaos.  This is what you get when you have a degree in psychology and think too much on a Wednesday morning. 

Note, this is with no alcohol in my system. 

I am influenced my caffeine this morning and I'm in love with the espresso machine.  Off to work.

On 9/14/2020 at 6:09 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Pics, or I call BS Rich. ?

Biba! Joe

It's a bitch when I buy a new bottle that I don't want to open right away.  I have to shuffle around a bunch of crap to get them reorganized.  Being honest, I've bought about a half dozen bottles this year that didn't get opened right away.  They are all just on the top shelf because I haven't had the energy to go through the hassle.  2020 is doing a number on breaking down my OCD. 

I HAD a system for several years, which was mainly to group them by type (bourbon, rye, Scotch, Irish, other), with all unopened bottles on the bottom shelf, and others based on bottle height (BTAC and some others are too tall for some of cabinet shelves).  Within each group, the lower fill bottles were near the front, higher fill near the back.  Didn't worry about distillery other than FR, as all FRSBs were lined up in one area. 

Where my cabinet is, hard to get a picture of it that shows everything - but found some pics from 2013 when I first got this cabinet (which reminded me that I did even group the bourbon by rye-mash vs wheaters initially - forgotten about that!)  Being a geek, I had created a model with a roughly 'average' bottle size to calculate how many bottles I could fit, and figured about 120 (leaving some space between them).  Wound up crushing that with over 150 in there (but virtually NO space between bottles).  

Top shelf was all rye mash bourbon

Top_shelf_rye_mash_bourbon.thumb.JPG.3ba7a0fb2dd8458dddea03e1d4a50b39.JPG

Middle shelf was "tall bottles", bourbon on the left that were too tall for first shelf, rye on the right (and all "rye" at the time, regardless of height)

Shelf_2_tall_bottles_bourbon_rye.thumb.JPG.a80e89e9dd59f51a3317a7a1e5b47698.JPG

3rd shelf is taller than the first, but not as tall as the 2nd (couldn't fit BTAC on that one) but was wheated bourbon, and "everything else" (scotch, Canadian - apparently hadn't found Irish yet by 2013).

Shelf_3_wheaters_scotch_other.thumb.JPG.3feb2ba417641007dc9704f2a4f21232.JPG

My "bunker" at that time was the 3 bottles on the bottom shelf (a first release ECBP, dusty BDL, and contemporary/not special Old Fitz 1849).

I gave up on that about a year or two ago when the struggle got real just to FIND space, and I had more Scotch (including some taller bottles) than I could fit in the one area.  Frankly, it became just way more work than it was worth.  

Took a pic this morning of the disorganized mess it is (or most of it,  cuts off  at the top another row of FRSBs).  Note it no longer holds all bottles (have some boxes in the closet with GBS pick extras, etc - and keep some open bottles & mingles in a couple of other places, although not up to Harry's level by a long shot!)  The bottom shelf is still just unopened bottles, but those are tightly packed in there.  Way less method to the madness, but still keeps the bottles upright and out of sunlight - so mission accomplished :)  

Disorganized.thumb.jpg.6209c4a186a149c6d5319512a530f441.jpg

• I like it 5

20 hours ago, GaryT said:

- so mission accomplished :)  

from pics, mission definitely accomplished - you cleared the hardest hurdle and put quality stuff in the larder.

• I like it 1

I posted earlier on this topic, but was thinking about it again when I shuffled a few things around yesterday.  I will add that my somewhat loose attempt at organization was made significantly easier when I moved into a new house a little more than a year ago.  Before I had bottles stashed in about six different places, but when we moved I had custom shelving built near the bar that would hold most of it in one spot (I still have a bit of overflow storage in a cabinet, almost all of it duplicate bottles).  I'll admit I had an enjoyable time organizing it all after that.  There are a lot of ways one can go.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.