2020 PHC

BottledInBond
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm glad to hear this year's release is good. I would love to find a bottle close to MSRP, but not going to chase too hard. I liked last year's quite a bit, but that was a single bar pour.

As for the broader commentary on the series, I think this is a reflection of the incredible (and very difficult to replace) talent of Parker Beam. To me, Promise of Hope was a nearly perfect bourbon. It's not some crazy age, it's not a proof monster, it's just a beautifully balanced expression of what top quality bourbon can be. Parker knew where to find the barrels that met his ideal. The man is a legend for a reason.

I agree with The Black Tot, it is very strange that they have had so much turnover at Heaven Hill. It seems like one of the best places to be: private family ownership, tremendous stocks of whiskey, and great variety in products. I too wonder what is going on there. The company's overall offering seems to be generally in decline, although they still put out some good stuff at good prices (Elijah Craig BP I'm looking at you).

Edited by Jazz June
Forgot that PoH was a single barrel product, so no blending required
  • I like it 1

2 hours ago, Jazz June said:

I'm glad to hear this year's release is good. I would love to find a bottle close to MSRP, but not going to chase too hard. I liked last year's quite a bit, but that was a single bar pour.

As for the broader commentary on the series, I think this is a reflection of the incredible (and very difficult to replace) talent of Parker Beam. To me, Promise of Hope was a nearly perfect bourbon. It's not some crazy age, it's not a proof monster, it's just a beautifully balanced expression of what top quality bourbon can be. Parker knew where to find the barrels that met his ideal. The man is a legend for a reason.

I agree with The Black Tot, it is very strange that they have had so much turnover at Heaven Hill. It seems like one of the best places to be: private family ownership, tremendous stocks of whiskey, and great variety in products. I too wonder what is going on there. The company's overall offering seems to be generally in decline, although they still put out some good stuff at good prices (Elijah Craig BP I'm looking at you).

I agree, Promise of Hope was just a perfect bourbon.  Was lucky to find 3 bottles on release, and would open 1 a year, it’s long gone now, but there are hints of the flavor in some Elijah Craig store picks from the Deatsville warehouses.  Good memories!

• 1 month later...

Sorry I have no real feedback...

Because I did pick one of these up in January, I hunted for reviews and found nothing negative. I have not opened mine yet, but stopped by the LS this past week and offered to open it on site so the owner could have a taste. He has been good to me so this is a payback and bribery if you will. I will try it soon and give a review at that time. I'm guessing if you get a chance below $130, take it... JMHO

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.