Remember the SB Weller Blend?

Kyjd75
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recently, for the first time in a long time, I picked up a bottle each of Weller OWA and Weller 12.  Opened them both, and after a few pours from each (not all at the same time!) started thinking about the good old days and the popularity of the "SB Blend" wherein we combined the Weller 12 and the OWA into our own blend.  So, I couldn't resist it, and now have a bottle of SB Blend along side a half bottle of Weller 12.  Have to say it is good stuff.  Now I'm staring at a bottle of MMCS and wondering how a MMCS/W12 blend would work.  Has anyone tried this?

It's still all the rage with the newbies to the hobby, only they call it Poor Man's Pappy.  I made it once and thought it was a waste of W12

I haven't done MMCS/W12 before, but I've done a Makers Medley of equal parts MMCS, MM46, and MM. that I enjoyed.  It is ironic that MM probably has a closer lineage to the original Pappy than any Weller product at this point.

5 hours ago, dcbt said:

It's still all the rage with the newbies to the hobby, only they call it Poor Man's Pappy.  I made it once and thought it was a waste of W12

I haven't done MMCS/W12 before, but I've done a Makers Medley of equal parts MMCS, MM46, and MM. that I enjoyed.  It is ironic that MM probably has a closer lineage to the original Pappy than any Weller product at this point.

Well, there's a good illustration of palate difference.  I ONLY drink W12 in vattings and just made up a new SB Blend batch (along with GW4G, sort of, after I hit a Weller jackpot - in the store as the stuff arrived) in mid-October, having concluded that the 12 by itself is not worth what I have to pay for it.  I am now trying to figure out what to do with the mismatched dregs of my WSR sitting next to the OWA and W12 remainders now that the batch bottles are full.  Maybe I should retaste the W12 by its self . . .  And then the OWA and then the WSR . . .

That MM medley does sound good.  I have plenty of basic and several CSs on hand but don't happen to have a 46; it does go on sale in WashDC on occasion so maybe soon . . .

So much to do and remember, so little time to remember and do, and it is so easy just to pour from a bottle somebody else filled.:D

• I like it 3

The interesting thing is that after revisiting OWA and W12, I'm not sure that MMCS and MM101 aren't better than either of the Weller variants.

I haven’t tried MMCS and W12, but I have vatted MMCS and MM 46. Not bad at all. 

I've considered vatting OGD 114 with some version of MM (since no Weller comes here anymore).  Maybe a very small amount comes, but people are ridiculous.

I found that the sum of the parts was not as enjoyable to me as the parts on their own. I love the red hots in OWA and the sweetness, especially on the nose, of W12. Because my supplies of both are dwindling, I likely won’t vat them again. 

Ive had good luck with a blend of MMCS & Weller SR. Its not to the level of SB blend, but it is tasty

I'm with Harry in using W12 for vatting only (or 95% of the time, I set aside 200 mL of W12 the last time I opened one so I can revisit it neat from time to time in case my tastes change; hadn't happened yet).  Now OWA I do enjoy neat, but I enjoy it a lot more in the SB Blend.  I have three SB blends at the moment (60/40 & 70/30, always heavier on OWA).  Why three?  Last OWA I bought was a private pick family size (one might call it a handle, but the lack of a handle on the bottle makes that name an odd choice here!) 5 yrs back.  Still have a couple of W12s in the bunker, estimating that I may never need to buy another bottle to keep myself in stock of SB Blend.  I wonder if the SB Blend of the current varieties isn't as stellar as it was years ago?  Not that everyone loved it back then, but it seemed like a strong majority did.  Or maybe we have so many different options available to us that by comparison it isn't as special.

Hmm . . . may have a pour this afternoon and ponder the level of importance this has in the universe . . . or just drink it ;)  

• I like it 3

I haven't tried the SB blend yet. Which is funny because I splash everything else into everything else!

I think I'm waiting to see what the new fermentation tanks and warehouses at BT do to the supply of the younger stuff before I get cavalier with what W12 I have left.

Even when I get back down to my bunker, I've got plenty of drinking-my-worst work to do before this becomes an actual issue.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I haven't tried the SB blend yet. Which is funny because I splash everything else into everything else!

I think I'm waiting to see what the new fermentation tanks and warehouses at BT do to the supply of the younger stuff before I get cavalier with what W12 I have left.

Even when I get back down to my bunker, I've got plenty of drinking-my-worst work to do before this becomes an actual issue.

This here is zen.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.