another silly Q...hmmmmm?

mountainman1840
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Are the liqueors' such as wild turkey and jeremiah weed true bourbons? If so how is the sweetness of these drinks obtained? yum.gif

Not bourbon and they have sugar (or sweetener) added.

Liquor labels don't have to list ingredients like other food products. While Wild Turkey liqueur surely contains some honey, most likely the main sweetener is corn syrup. That's the sweenenter in most sweet beverages, such as soft drinks, because it's the cheapest. I believe Jeremiah Weed and Wild Turkey Liqueur both contain a little actual whiskey. Southern Comfort does not. It's a good example of the fake "whiskies" that were so popular in the 19th century, which were concoctions of grain neutral spirits and flavorings and colorings, but no actual whiskey of any kind. Southern Comfort encourages retailers to place it in the bourbon section and most do, but the label is honest about what it really is (as it has to be by law).

I keep my Southern Comfort in the liqueur section, where it belongs. I've always thought the idea for Southern Comfort came from folks soaking peaches in their bourbon Southern Comfort History. Although who knows what's in a commercial bottle of this these days as the recipe is a "secret." The bottle does state that it has caramel coloring.

I've had the Wild Turkey Honey but Jeremiah Weed isn't sold here in NYC. Maybe when I'm down South sometime I'll have to try it. I don't like the thought of drinking Wild Turkey Corn Syrup Liqueur

The research I did suggested that Heron was trying to make raw, frontier whiskey taste like Cognac. Southern Comfort is grain neutral spirits, sweetener and a fruit concentrate that is mostly apricot.

Wow. Really interesting. I love getting to the bottom of things. I guess it's sort of like that idea that Disaronna is an almond liqueur, but they actually make it from apricot pits. Everything I've ever read about SC always talks about the "bourbon and peach" thing. So there's no bourbon in it at all, huh? Amazing. I wonder how much bourbon is in WT Honey Liqueur, and if they really use corn syrup more than honey.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.