Mini Barrel Batch #1 - Blended Bourbon

PhantomLamb
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just got the 1L barrel yesterday to eventually dump into my decanter.  Currently filled with water on day #2 of sealing.  Will seal it until Sunday and then fill with Lil' Dilly (me) Blend, which consists of some parts Evan Williams, FRYL, BT, Ezra Brooks, and KC9.  Honestly, I've lost track. lol

Hoping to age it for 3 months and not lose too much to evaporation.  For those of you that are bored enough to follow this misguided journey, welcome!  Will update once barrel is sealed and probably on a bi-weekly basis with pics and tasting.

Thanks,

IMG_6265.jpg

• I like it 1

Week 1 update:

Done sealing the barrel.  No evaporation (I guess to be expected), but was surprised how quickly the water took on color and nose, both really nice.  Putting my mystery blend into oak for 3 months and will probably post updates bi-weekly or monthly.

IMG_6277.jpg

IMG_6278.jpg

IMG_6279.jpg

• 3 months later...

Since @fishnbowljoe linked to this in another thread, thought I would resurrect it.

Dumped the barrel this weekend and it turned out tremendous.  What started as a mess that reminded me of cheap Irish whiskey turned out to be an oaky start with a mellow body and lasting spicy finish, I couldn't be happier.  I tried it straight and mixed and both performed perfectly.  Aged exactly 3 months with almost no angel's share, now, on to the rum!

IMG_6607.jpg

• I like it 7

2 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Since @fishnbowljoe linked to this in another thread, thought I would resurrect it.

Dumped the barrel this weekend and it turned out tremendous.  What started as a mess that reminded me of cheap Irish whiskey turned out to be an oaky start with a mellow body and lasting spicy finish, I couldn't be happier.  I tried it straight and mixed and both performed perfectly.  Aged exactly 3 months with almost no angel's share, now, on to the rum!

I’m really glad your barrel project turned out okay. 👍 It’s things like this, and success’s with our other “projects”, that help keep things fun and interesting. Keep up the good work. ;)

Biba! Joe

47 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I’m really glad your barrel project turned out okay. 👍 It’s things like this, and success’s with our other “projects”, that help keep things fun and interesting. Keep up the good work. ;)

Biba! Joe

Thanks man, I got the idea from @marshall9779, thanks for the direction on where to get the barrel, how to seal it, etc.

This community has been great not only in helping me make smarter purchases but in educating too. Appreciate the help!

• I like it 1

16 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Thanks man, I got the idea from @marshall9779, thanks for the direction on where to get the barrel, how to seal it, etc.

This community has been great not only in helping me make smarter purchases but in educating too. Appreciate the help!

For some reason, I just can’t bring myself to do a barrel project. Deep down, I honestly think that in one way or another, I’d just f**k it up. 😐 That’s why I’ll just stick to my blends. Kudos to y’all that are doing the barrel projects. 👍

Biba! Joe

17 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

For some reason, I just can’t bring myself to do a barrel project. Deep down, I honestly think that in one way or another, I’d just f**k it up. 😐 That’s why I’ll just stick to my blends. Kudos to y’all that are doing the barrel projects. 👍

Biba! Joe

Honestly I thought the same thing but tasting it each week gives you a safety net so it doesn’t taste like trash. 

I need the recipe for grandpa wellers four grain, only problem is that here weller is almost impossible to get.

12 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Honestly I thought the same thing but tasting it each week gives you a safety net so it doesn’t taste like trash. 

I need the recipe for grandpa wellers four grain, only problem is that here weller is almost impossible to get.

I must be getting old. 🤔 For the life of me, I can’t remember who gave me the Weller 4 Grain recipe. Maybe Frank/GeeTen? Bueller!? 😆 

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I must be getting old. 🤔 For the life of me, I can’t remember who gave me the Weller 4 Grain recipe. Maybe Frank/GeeTen? Bueller!? 😆 

Your wish is my command!  3xWSR:2xOGD114.

Enjoy!   😋

• I like it 2

6 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Your wish is my command!  3xWSR:2xOGD114.

Enjoy!   😋

Thank you sir, may I have another? :ph34r:

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.