Bourbon Country Nostalgia pt II

angelshare
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There has been a lot of discussion lately regarding the word "free" and what it means in the context of the distillery tour. I take the point that nothing is free. It comes out of the marketing budget if nothing else.

Having said that, we have a few worthless trinkets and souvenirs that hold significant sentimental value because they were handed to us during a memorable tour. For example:

1) Okay, this was not really a tour, but the Dickel keychain was a consolation item. We visited the distillery, but there had been some flooding. We were shown what we could see, but a very pleasant and apologetic person gave us this "free" keychain to make up for the missing part of the tour. We appreciated the gesture, and this keychain is in use to this day.

2) Two used Wild Turkey bungs. I'm sure these cost nothing, but we remember the smell of those freshly soaked bungs. They were handed to us (seemingly) whimsically as we were watching some barrels being dumped.

3) LG lapel pin (upper left corner of the frame) and certificate. We were each given a set. Okay, these were part of the "free" LG tour, worked into the marketing budget, I'm sure. "Society of Bourbon Spokespersons?" Did we deserve it? NO, not at all, in the realm of Bourbonia. However, after years of preaching the merits of bourbon to our friends and peers, we were drawn to the idea of being recognized as a spokesperson. Note: it doesn't say "educated" spokesperson.

4) MM label - worthless, I know. But there was something about being offered something that was just plain unavailable anywhere else. A piece of paper. But we still have it.

Is this good marketing? I'm sure it is, at least in part. But perhaps I just want to believe that buried in this marketing is a modicum of genuine sentiment that the distillery is just plain happy we took the trouble to visit.

I will add that, even though I'm not staunchly opposed to the LG tour fee, LG loses this kind of marketing by charging. I hope it evens out at $5 a head.

post-553-14489811485299_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.