Anyone got any info or opinions on this?

DanP
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I got this bottle as a gift today.  It's J. Mattingly 1845 Wheated Wonderland, Limited Edition Private Barrel Select Small Batch.  119 proof.  It's a beautiful bottle, color looks a little light so I'm guessing it might be a young-ish bourbon.  A little concerned that with so many descriptors on the bottle the bourbon itself will have a hard time living up to the label.  My friend who bought it for me knows nothing about bourbon, but she had heard me talking with someone about my affection for Weller's so she went looking for that for me.  Not finding it, a liquor store owner advised her that if I like Weller's  then I might like this one.  

Does anyone know anything about this distillery?  How about this particular bourbon?  Would love to learn a little more about it before cracking it open.

Photo on 1-11-21 at 5.01 PM.jpg

Slightly off topic but................I've not their bourbon, but I've recently had their 13 yr old, 137 proof rye.  Excellent stuff in my opion.  

From what I found, its a 4 year old wheated bourbon from MGP, sold as a gift shop exclusive.

• I like it 2

A few years ago there was talk of them allegedly artificially inflating prices on secondary for some blends they did.

I believe their main blender is or used to be a member here.

I've never had any of their stuff, but some if the blends they did a few years ago got nice reviews. 

Edited by JCwhammie
  • I like it 1

Limited Edition Private Barrel Select Small Batch

That’s quite a mouthful.

Edited by mal00768
  • I like it 1

Label says "Distilled in Kentucky and Indiana".  I assume that means product from somebody in KY blended with the wheat recipe Bourbon from MGP in IN.

I see no mention of age.  That means it can't contain anything less than four years old.

I was gifted a barrel proof MGP rye for Christmas.  I liked that quite a bit.

• I like it 1

Did not see the word Straight on the label so there is probably younger whiskey mixed in.  The label is mostly marketing. "Small Batch" has no legal designation and usually no bearing on quality. "Private Barrel Select" could or could not mean single barrel. Regardless, it sounds like whoever Winter Wonderland is selected this particular one versus some others. The main determining factor of the quality will be whether or not you like it.

The cool part of this is a young lady went out of her way to find you something that was in line with what she overheard you say to someone else. 

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, Old Hippie said:

The cool part of this is a young lady went out of her way to find you something that was in line with what she overheard you say to someone else. 

Yeah!! and it probably cost her a fair bit to purchase... based on what Small Batch is going for these days.

Give her a big kiss for that!

• I like it 2

Thanks for all of the replies!  I'm opening it tonight, we'll see how it is.  Honestly, I like a whole lot more bourbon than I dislike, so the odds are pretty good that I'm going to enjoy it.

• I like it 2

Isnt J Madingly the blender/bottler that mixes very small batches in trash cans?

Could be something like a 4-yr MGP mixed with a younger KY wheater?

• I like it 2

On 1/15/2021 at 9:05 PM, Whiskeythink.com said:

Isnt J Madingly the blender/bottler that mixes very small batches in trash cans?

Could be something like a 4-yr MGP mixed with a younger KY wheater?

Yeah, I had read something about that.  I think he stirs the mix with his weenus and farts in the bottle just before sealing it. 

Anyway, I have really enjoyed it!  It's got a bit of a kick, but not like you'd expect with 119 proof.  Fairly sweet, easy to sip on neat.  I'm not disappointed.

On 1/17/2021 at 1:04 PM, DanP said:

Yeah, I had read something about that.  I think he stirs the mix with his weenus and farts in the bottle just before sealing it. 

Anyway, I have really enjoyed it!  It's got a bit of a kick, but not like you'd expect with 119 proof.  Fairly sweet, easy to sip on neat.  I'm not disappointed.

Glad you’re liking it. What matters most is that someone put a lot of thought into getting you this bottle and it was an incredibly kind gesture. The fact that you like it is a bonus.

On 1/11/2021 at 5:10 PM, DanP said:

I got this bottle as a gift today.  It's J. Mattingly 1845 Wheated Wonderland, Limited Edition Private Barrel Select Small Batch.  119 proof.  It's a beautiful bottle, color looks a little light so I'm guessing it might be a young-ish bourbon.  A little concerned that with so many descriptors on the bottle the bourbon itself will have a hard time living up to the label.  My friend who bought it for me knows nothing about bourbon, but she had heard me talking with someone about my affection for Weller's so she went looking for that for me.  Not finding it, a liquor store owner advised her that if I like Weller's  then I might like this one.  

Does anyone know anything about this distillery?  How about this particular bourbon?  Would love to learn a little more about it before cracking it open.

Photo on 1-11-21 at 5.01 PM.jpg

Never seen this one but color does not always come from age. Color can come from char level and proof and some other factors.

Curiosity got me looking around on their website. There’s a number of other J. Mattingly 1845 products of various names, but all with the “limited edition private barrel select small batch” language included. It is the premium label of “Bourbon 30” spirits.  The site says each barrel (which I presume from context constitutes the whole batch) is meticulously and individually crafted and never replicated, sourced from various distilleries. So, it seems like each batch will probably be subject to a ton of variation and uncertainty, given the undisclosed sources, ages, and apparently somewhat-experimental  nature of the blending approach. 

They also provide a “blend your own bottle” experience at their facility, which seems like it could be a kind of fun activity. 

On 1/11/2021 at 2:10 PM, DanP said:

I don't know anything about this particular expression, but I have a few J.Mattingly whiskies and have had quite a few samples.  Most of what he has is MGP.  The "distillery" is a mess.  It's basically a single floored facility with a roll-up door and about a 75-100 barrels all sitting in this space with the bungs pulled out.  He has some other barrels in a small storage container out in front of the place.  In my opinion, he got lucky with some aged MGP whisky he purchased.  Some light whiskey, American whiskey, bourbon and rye.  The complete mess aside, a lot of what I've tasted has been pretty delicious.  I had some friends go there last year to blend some bottles (they'll let you blend anywhere from one bottle to several barrels).  One of my friend's opinion of the place was that it was a public health hazard and was surprised it hasn't been shut down.  I'd crack it open and see what you think.  I doubt Weller will be in your mind when you taste this though.

• I like it 1

I didn't think people stored barrels "with the bungs pulled out".  I would imagine whiskey would evaporate and oxidize, maybe fruit flies go in. 😬

• I like it 1

25 minutes ago, PaulO said:

maybe fruit flies go in. 😬

Suddenly chill filtering seems pretty good to me... 🙂

• I like it 1

37 minutes ago, PaulO said:

maybe fruit flies go in. 😬

Oh you KNOW they will.

• I like it 2

My sister in law used to work high end entertainment type events in L.A.

They'd let her bring bottles that had been opened home afterwards.

I remember seeing some expensive Tequila, with many small bugs (fruit flies) rolling around on the bottom.  I suggested, dump it.  I gather, bars have this problem too, with the pourer tops - flies go in, don't do out.  🤢 

On 1/27/2021 at 8:43 PM, PaulO said:

I didn't think people stored barrels "with the bungs pulled out".  I would imagine whiskey would evaporate and oxidize, maybe fruit flies go in. 😬

Oh, he thinks oxidation is a myth.  I mean...science isn't a core belief in the region?  I can't with this guy, but he has dumb lucked himself into some decent tasting whiskey.

• I like it 1

I’ve been to Bourbon 30. Mattingly does believe oxidation is a myth, I heard him say it. Without trying to sound mean, the guy has no idea what he’s talking about. The guy is a sham and lucked on to great whiskey from MGP
they don’t have a still at their “distillery” . I could go on and on about how much of a fool the guy is but I’ll just leave it with what’s been already said.

Edited by Cigarguy

18 hours ago, Cigarguy said:

I’ve been to Bourbon 30. Mattingly does believe oxidation is a myth, I heard him say it. Without trying to sound mean, the guy has no idea what he’s talking about. The guy is a sham and lucked on to great whiskey from MGP
they don’t have a still at their “distillery” . I could go on and on about how much of a fool the guy is but I’ll just leave it with what’s been already said.

The beauty of this post is that after 16 years on the board, this is CG’s first and only post!  Welcome to the fray old timer!!  😁

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.