Alcohol content

mountainman1840
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

How is it that a stronger proof bourbon can have less of a alcohol smell than a lesser proof? Also if all bourbons have to meet certain standards and are made in new charred oak barrels, how are the flavours and aromas so different? toast.gif

One possibility why flavors and aroma's are different is that each bourbon has a different mashbill which is made from different percentages of ingredients and each bourbon is aged for different periods of times. Another factor could be where the bourbon is aged in the rickhouse. Yet another is the level of char inside the barrel. The list can go in I'm sure...

jeez.......thanks for the quick reply. In addition does cost of the beverage really reflect how good it is? skep.gif

No problemo lol.gif I don't think many would disagree, but in general price does not really reflect how good a bourbon is. I mean yeah, some cheap bourbons suck like McCormick's but there are many bourbons available that are relatively cheap (say under $20) and can stand up to some pours that are in the $35-$50 range... Weller 12yo, Old Forester 100 proof, EC12yo and Buffalo Trace are just a few picks that are 'worth their price'. Then you have some that are a bit more money like Eagle Rare 17 yo that sells for about $45 and, in my opinion, is a phenominal bourbon at that price. And some, in my opinion, are overpriced but if people are willing to spend it the distilleries will keep charging alot for them... Bookers; Yeah it is good, but a 'little' high, maybe $10 less and its a good buy. I personally find Woodford Reserve a bit steep, but many like it and think its prices nicely. To each his own, hey, we can't all like the same thing and that's good or else we'd all be complaining that we cannot get out favorite pours anymore!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.