Jump to content

What rye are you drinking or purchased in 2021


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

What year is the KC Rye? And how awesome is it?

So on the table are both the bottled 2009 and 2010 kcbp. Also from beam is an old ri1 and an oo bonded. I'll ignore the last two because you asked about the kc. The 2009 is very good, well balanced and complex. The 2010 is hot and very one sided, they are two very different pours. I think both are good, but the 2009 is great. I actually did a sbs but with very limited notes a few weeks back... With that said I could do a more indepth sbs if you really wanted to know, but I'd just recommend it for yourself. Final note. My favorite beam ryes ever, in order were booker's rye, little book ch2 (it counts, I swear), and old overholt 11 year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Mattk

    84

  • 0895

    46

  • Kepler

    35

  • Skinsfan1311

    34

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We are still cleaning up from Hurricane Laura (just some stuff we haven’t gotten to yet). I was in my shop and came across a wine box that was heavy, damn the luck, it has 5 Rittenhouse BiB Ryes (KY35

Wild Turkey Rye just goes so well with Fall.  

This showed up today, thanks to an eastern connection. Super excited about it!    

Posted Images

LvR Mike
10 minutes ago, Mattk said:

So on the table are both the bottled 2009 and 2010 kcbp. Also from beam is an old ri1 and an oo bonded. I'll ignore the last two because you asked about the kc. The 2009 is very good, well balanced and complex. The 2010 is hot and very one sided, they are two very different pours. I think both are good, but the 2009 is great. I actually did a sbs but with very limited notes a few weeks back... With that said I could do a more indepth sbs if you really wanted to know, but I'd just recommend it for yourself. Final note. My favorite beam ryes ever, in order were booker's rye, little book ch2 (it counts, I swear), and old overholt 11 year. 

Heard.

 

I saw both the 2009 and 2010 KCBP at a store, both quite pricey at $100 each. But I noticed a trend of, if I see it at one store, the rest of the stores in my area will have it sooner rather than later.

 

And what in the world is Booker's Rye? Sounds sweet. I'll also keep my eye out for Overhold 11 because that seems like I'm more likely to find it than the Booker's Rye and Little Book 2.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LvR Mike said:

Heard.

 

I saw both the 2009 and 2010 KCBP at a store, both quite pricey at $100 each. But I noticed a trend of, if I see it at one store, the rest of the stores in my area will have it sooner rather than later.

 

And what in the world is Booker's Rye? Sounds sweet. I'll also keep my eye out for Overhold 11 because that seems like I'm more likely to find it than the Booker's Rye and Little Book 2.

So booker's rye was a pricy bottle upon release, I never even got to own one if I recall. But my sips were superb. It's basically impossible to get now. The ch2 can still be found occasionally in shelves for about 150 around here. When I find one I generally buy it. The OO11 was a 50 barrel one and done released to PA and OH only. It was relatively inexpensive, but very good. If you are looking for a fantastic beam rye which is reasonably accessable I'd definitely go for one of the kcsp bottles from someone you like. Generally the store picks have outdone the barrel proofs for much less in my opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe this was discussed earlier.  Today I found WT 101 Rye @ $21.99 a 750ml. 🥳 That's a better price than the $25 I used to pay, back in the Austin Nichols screw cap days (before the long absence).  These were from different stores too.  I'm thrilled.

I noticed online, the image for this is the new WT package - small label near the bottom of the bottle.  What I found is the label we've had for several years, with the big turkey head.  I guess the new package for this is coming.

  • I like it 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
DeepCover

I tried the DS Rye (rum cask) earlier this week and I liked it quite a bit. For $43, I had a hard time passing it up today.

BA35704E-73B8-44E6-8071-B950FE3AD832.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally got a chance to pour some of the WT 101 Rye.  It's as good as I remember.  I'm glad to have picked up several.  It was a road trip.  We'll see if my local Greenwood stores start carrying it.  Regardless, no regrets a short road trip for this.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
LvR Mike

 

 

Was driving to the store to find a, I'm fully vaccinated celebration. Ended up leaving with more than I bargained for.

93545488-AE4A-42E8-8743-F2BFDFE0825A.jpeg

  • I like it 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
markandrex

Started the evening with a Rittenhouse, now on to some WT Cornerstone.

It is shaping up to be a really tasty evening.

  • I like it 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Skinsfan1311
14 hours ago, markandrex said:

Started the evening with a Rittenhouse, now on to some WT Cornerstone.

It is shaping up to be a really tasty evening.

I tried the Cornerstone a few weeks ago.  Damn, it's good!

Edited by Skinsfan1311
Link to post
Share on other sites
Skinsfan1311

KCSB..it states " Specially Selected By VA ABC", which doesn't mean squat,  except Beam selected it for them.

 

I like new style KC bottle design

 

20210429_203111.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had zero owls. Guess I'm building that set too now. Batch one I think will be the difficult one. Also haven't tried the kc, thought I'd give it a spin this weekend.

IMG_20210430_155307.jpg

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
LvR Mike
5 hours ago, Mattk said:

I had zero owls. Guess I'm building that set too now. Batch one I think will be the difficult one. Also haven't tried the kc, thought I'd give it a spin this weekend.

IMG_20210430_155307.jpg

Wouldn't it be ironic if you loved the KC more. Great haul here none the less.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mattk
2 hours ago, 0895 said:

😁 Love this stuff !

E75CEC48-FEBA-4C62-A3A6-BBB25DF204F3.jpeg

It's hard not too

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Kepler
3 hours ago, 0895 said:

😁 Love this stuff !

E75CEC48-FEBA-4C62-A3A6-BBB25DF204F3.jpeg

Nice.  Those are only available in certain states is that right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Wedelstaedt

WTRB Rye in my glass at the moment. I like it, but for me it is not up to the Rare Breed name. 

The NCF is a nice touch though. I wish they would give WTRB Bourbon the same treatment. 

 

Cheers

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Kepler said:

Nice.  Those are only available in certain states is that right?


I believe only in Pennsylvania.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Kepler
31 minutes ago, 0895 said:


I believe only in Pennsylvania.

Looking at flights now, lol

  • I like it 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Skinsfan1311

I love KC rye, and this is an exceptional one. I mentioned it to Mrs. Skinsfan, (who loves rye), and she agrees.

Someone at Beam selected a very good one for the VA ABC. Next time I swing through VA, I'll grab a couple more.  I hit a few of them, on the trip down, but only saw this one at the Tappohannock store.  If any of you are in that area, that's one of the stores that get selections that others don't, so check it out. One of the young ladies who work there is very knowledgeable about whiskey.

 

20210502_140224.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mattk

Get a bottle of skinsfans kc rye. It's better then this one. I've wanted to like it. But ultimately it's just not great. Good might be a reach. Highly dominant flavors of coconut and marshmallow. But not in a way that is balanced. It's in my mind a flavored whiskey. They just went with new oak flavor. Maybe higher proof, less time in the second barrel this would be an amazing pour. But at 100, and as incongruous as the flavor set is I'll not be replacing this one. Big plus though. The wax is perferated. Which makes for a still messy, but easy open.

IMG_20210502_160412.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
markandrex

Rittenhouse this evening.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Radioyada

2020 Michter's 10 Rye tonight.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
dwg13013
Posted (edited)

I have had only Knob Creek Rye and Russell 6 year

I have an unopened Jack Daniels single barrel

 

 

Edited by dwg13013
Link to post
Share on other sites
dwg13013

here is the JD single barrel

 

 

eSkHUVe.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.