Liquor Stores - Indianapolis

SteveoT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey All!  I searched and couldn’t find what I was looking for.  I’m in Indianapolis for the weekend.  Can anyone recommend some liquor stores for me?  

Thanks!

Vine & Table in Carmel is a nice store-- just don't tell them I sent you (it was a rather interesting experience to say the least).

Pappy, Blantons, EHT, Stagg Jr, OWA.... the usuals.

orrrr just some great store picks and pricing!  I’m sure there are a lot of things that aren’t in stores around me in NY.  In example I shopped in Oklahoma a few weeks back and grabbed Weller SR and Remus Repeal which I can’t get.

Over the last couple years, it seems any of the BT brands that people chase are in short supply.  We get such a small amount, and those never make it to shelves.  They either go into lotteries, or hidden away and disposed on the down low.

I can find regular BT Bourbon, no problem.  I also see the new versions of Benchmark.

Big Red Liquors does many barrel selections of other stuff.  Under the Krogman's brand, they have all the different MGP recipes.

Crown Liquors also does barrel selections.

Total Wine recently opened a store on East 86th Street.  (I have yet to visit).

Do not neglect Meijer or Kroger either.

I have heard good things about Vine & Table in Carmel, but never been there.

I'm here on the South side.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, SteveoT said:

orrrr just some great store picks and pricing!  I’m sure there are a lot of things that aren’t in stores around me in NY.  In example I shopped in Oklahoma a few weeks back and grabbed Weller SR and Remus Repeal which I can’t get.

For store picks, I have found few places on par with Rural Inn. The bottles that I have bought from them have been solid, but moreover they have tons of picks. My first stop a few years ago they must have had a half dozen RR SiBs, as many 4R picks, a couple Blanton's, some ER, 1792, and I can't remember what else. I had to get out of there to save my wallet. These days with the bourbon craze in full swing I'm guessing that some of these don't last long on the shelves so your mileage may vary. But either way they should have some decent picks. Don't be put off by the janky surroundings. If Ray is there, he's great to talk with.

Good luck!

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, fanostra said:

For store picks, I have found few places on par with Rural Inn. The bottles that I have bought from them have been solid, but moreover they have tons of picks. My first stop a few years ago they must have had a half dozen RR SiBs, as many 4R picks, a couple Blanton's, some ER, 1792, and I can't remember what else. I had to get out of there to save my wallet. These days with the bourbon craze in full swing I'm guessing that some of these don't last long on the shelves so your mileage may vary. But either way they should have some decent picks. Don't be put off by the janky surroundings. If Ray is there, he's great to talk with.

Good luck!

The Market District in Carmel always has a bunch of barrel picks, and they pick well by my pallet.   There is a Peerless Double Oak there that I bought a few weeks ago that is crazy good.

• I like it 1

Rural Inn is another place that gets a lot of good feedback, but I've yet to visit.

One suggestion - going there, I'd make sure to visit early, in the daytime. :ph34r:

• I like it 1

On 2/5/2021 at 3:49 PM, Marekv8 said:

Vine & Table in Carmel is a nice store-- just don't tell them I sent you (it was a rather interesting experience to say the least).

I seem to recall you mentioning this.  What happened?

On 2/5/2021 at 3:43 PM, SteveoT said:

Hey All!  I searched and couldn’t find what I was looking for.  I’m in Indianapolis for the weekend.  Can anyone recommend some liquor stores for me?  

Thanks!

What side of town will you be visiting?

Northside - Vine & Table, Big Red Liquors, Crown Liquors, Market District, Total Wine and 21st Amendment are located in Carmel.  They usually have store picks and are in relatively close proximity to one another.  The Big Red in Westfield and Crown on 106th Street are the best options for those chains.    There is also a Kroger on Rangeline Road in Carmel (close to Vine & Table) that usually really good selection.

Eastside or Downtown - Rural Inn is the top pick if you are looking for store picks.  It is at Rural and Michigan.  The Crown Store on Delaware Street or the Big Red store on Pennsylvania is the best option.  

Southside - I actually prefer Kroger or Meijer on the southside.  Big Red has a store on South East Street south of I-465 and also one by the Greenwood Mall.

Westside - The best option is Crown Liquors on US36 just west of Rockville Road across from Meijer.  There is a Victory Liquor at Raceway Road and 10th Street that sometimes has something unique (e.g., ECBP).  The Big Red Brownsburg North has some decent barrel selections.  The 21st Amendment by Eagle Creek sometimes has some interesting bottles. 

If you are looking for Remus Repeal, PM me and I can tell of a couple of locations on the NW side of Indy that has it.  One place has it for 20% off is you buy two 750 ml or more bottles this weekend.

Unfortunately, you probably won't find OWA, Blanton's, Pappy or anything limited in Indy, especially this time of year.  Most of the Indy stores keep these bottles for lotteries.

• I like it 1

Anyone have experience with WestClay Wine snd Spirits?  

3 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

What side of town will you be visiting?

Northside - Vine & Table, Big Red Liquors, Crown Liquors, Market District, Total Wine and 21st Amendment are located in Carmel.  They usually have store picks and are in relatively close proximity to one another.  The Big Red in Westfield and Crown on 106th Street are the best options for those chains.    There is also a Kroger on Rangeline Road in Carmel (close to Vine & Table) that usually really good selection.

Eastside or Downtown - Rural Inn is the top pick if you are looking for store picks.  It is at Rural and Michigan.  The Crown Store on Delaware Street or the Big Red store on Pennsylvania is the best option.  

Southside - I actually prefer Kroger or Meijer on the southside.  Big Red has a store on South East Street south of I-465 and also one by the Greenwood Mall.

Westside - The best option is Crown Liquors on US36 just west of Rockville Road across from Meijer.  There is a Victory Liquor at Raceway Road and 10th Street that sometimes has something unique (e.g., ECBP).  The Big Red Brownsburg North has some decent barrel selections.  The 21st Amendment by Eagle Creek sometimes has some interesting bottles. 

If you are looking for Remus Repeal, PM me and I can tell of a couple of locations on the NW side of Indy that has it.  One place has it for 20% off is you buy two 750 ml or more bottles this weekend.

Unfortunately, you probably won't find OWA, Blanton's, Pappy or anything limited in Indy, especially this time of year.  Most of the Indy stores keep these bottles for lotteries.

I appreciate the thought out response!  To be clear I was being sarcastic with the Blanton’s and the like.  I visited all of those locations in Carmel today and came up with a few unique bottles to me although didn’t see anything special or rare.  OF 100 rye, Remus series 4 and Buffalo Trace.  Happy with those three although I would be lying if I wasn’t crossing my fingers for a ECBP or JD SBBP as those are never seen in NY.  I come back in a few weeks and will maybe check out the other parts of town.

Kahn’s might be another good place to stop and have a look see. Over the years, I’ve stopped their a few times on my way down to Bardstown. They used to have fairly decent selections and pricing, not to mention some pretty good private picks. On separate trips, I stopped their and bought private picks of OWA and RHF that were pretty darned good. Admittedly, I haven’t been there in a few years, so things might have changed a bit. Maybe my Indy brethren could chime in more about this store.

Biba! Joe

19 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Kahn’s.  I stopped their and bought private picks of OWA and RHF that were pretty darned good. 

Biba! Joe

Private picks of RHF?  I hadn't heard of that one. (Although, not  too surprising given there was a SB pick of PVW23 😃.)

Anyway, boy howdy , RHF PS sounds very interesting indeed. 😁 

Cheers

On 2/5/2021 at 2:43 PM, SteveoT said:

Thanks!

On 2/5/2021 at 5:50 PM, PaulO said:

What are you trying to find?

On 2/5/2021 at 6:48 PM, SteveoT said:

Flaming tater.  Someone help him put out the fire!

• I like it 1

15 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Flaming tater.  Someone help him put out the fire!

🥔🔥🔥💦💦💦💦 There fixed it 🤣🤣🤣

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Anyone have experience with WestClay Wine snd Spirits?  

I had never heard of West Clay Wine and Spirits.  They look to be associated with Victory Liquors.  I have been to some of their stores including the ones mentioned above on Raceway and also the one on 86th Street.  The one on 86th has a pretty good selection including some difficult to find bottles.  However, everything in that store is behind a glass counter so it sometimes difficult to read labels and prices.

As mentioned Kahn's is a good option too.  

9 hours ago, SteveoT said:

I appreciate the thought out response!  To be clear I was being sarcastic with the Blanton’s and the like.  I visited all of those locations in Carmel today and came up with a few unique bottles to me although didn’t see anything special or rare.  OF 100 rye, Remus series 4 and Buffalo Trace.  Happy with those three although I would be lying if I wasn’t crossing my fingers for a ECBP or JD SBBP as those are never seen in NY.  I come back in a few weeks and will maybe check out the other parts of town.

Gotcha, no issues.  Indy is a pretty well shopped area so run across something special or rare is often a matter of luck.  Even bottles like OF 100 Rye aren't available everywhere.  I really like the Remus Series 4.  I picked up a second bottle last weekend.  I was lucky to find it for $68.  

As you note, store picks are often the best option for something different.  

12 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I seem to recall you mentioning this.  What happened?

I caught them off guard and they couldn't recover. I obviously didn't fit their profile and pushed things well out of their comfort zone.

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I caught them off guard and they couldn't recover. I obviously didn't fit their profile and pushed things well out of their comfort zone.

I’ve never done that before. 🤔🤫🙄   🤞

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Interesting.  I am sure there is a story.  Hopefully, you were, at least, able to find something to make it worth your while for stopping in.

15 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Interesting.  I am sure there is a story.  Hopefully, you were, at least, able to find something to make it worth your while for stopping in.

Of course. It wasn't a random stop, and it was my only one in the state. I had identified the bottles in question before I left home.

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Of course. It wasn't a random stop, and it was my only one in the state. I had identified the bottles in question before I left home.

Ah yes...... a classic Marekv8 special ops targeted hit.

• I like it 4

5 hours ago, flahute said:

Ah yes...... a classic Marekv8 special ops targeted hit.

Dressed in black as always. 

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.