Base Whiskey Recommendation for Boulevardiers??

Bob_Loblaw
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I want to get a new batch of Barrel Aged Boulevardiers into my 3L barrel this weekend.  Recipe will be 750ml sweet vermouth, 750 ml Bruto Americano and 1.75L (as fits) of bourbon.

Initial thought was BT for the bourbon, but then started outthinking myself that it may be a bit too low in proof when only half of the overall cocktail is bourbon.  Other thoughts are WT101 or OF100.  Has anyone ever done a Rye Boulevardier?  Maybe OF Rye would be nice. . .  

2 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I want to get a new batch of Barrel Aged Boulevardiers into my 3L barrel this weekend.  Recipe will be 750ml sweet vermouth, 750 ml Bruto Americano and 1.75L (as fits) of bourbon.

Initial thought was BT for the bourbon, but then started outthinking myself that it may be a bit too low in proof when only half of the overall cocktail is bourbon.  Other thoughts are WT101 or OF100.  Has anyone ever done a Rye Boulevardier?  Maybe OF Rye would be nice. . .  

Most of our Manhattans AND Boulevardiers are made with rye.  My wife’s uncle made Manhattans only with bonded rye for years, and we refuse to change.

WT 101 rye is our most used followed by OO bonded although OF 100 rye is pushing the OO aside lately.  All our Ms and Bs are served with rocks unless the recipient asks for up.

• I like it 3

I'm liking Rittenhouse Rye.  It's similar to a high rye Bourbon, bonded, 100 proof.  I think it would hold up well in a cocktail.  As a matter of fact, I've been considering using it for a Sazerac Cocktail (now that I know where I can get real Absinthe).  

• I like it 3

Here lately I've been doing boulevardiers and Manhattans with KC. It has the perfect amount of oak, and I feel the JB peanut thing lends itself well to a cocktail. Ive done a barreled cocktail, so I can't comment about how it performs there. 

• I like it 1

Rittenhouse was my go to until WT101 Rye became readily available in my area again, around 2017. Have only used WT101 since, aside from a few times using Pikesville (which I think is an unnecessary upgrade when going up against Campari). May pick up a Rittenhouse for old times sake.

• I like it 2

I used to be a regular customer of the WT 101 Rye.  When they came out with the current label (no Austin Nichols) they quit selling it in my market.  Everywhere has the 81.  Recently, WT 101 Rye appeared in one store.  They really jacked the price, more than doubled. 😧

• I like it 1

D-P, I feel the same way about Pikesville.  Back before WT 101 Rye became available again here and Ritt was hard to find, Pikesville filled the bill.  Once Ritt recovered, I stopped buying the Pikesville as Ritt in cocktails or neat tasted about the same to me, not surprising as they are both HH, and Ritt had a lower price.  THEN, finding Ritt became a game again, but WT 101 and OO BIB became readily available.  Recently, OO BIB joined Ritt so OF Rye 100 at a comparable price got the nod.

I sometimes wonder if the Majors are playing games just to keep bourbon and rye geeks awake.:o:wacko:

• I like it 2

Made plenty of Boulevardiers with rye.  Like others Ritt would be my go to but recently has been harder to find.  OF rye, or JD rye have been some of my substitutes but WT101 worked well too.

• I like it 2

On 3/19/2021 at 3:04 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Most of our Manhattans AND Boulevardiers are made with rye.  My wife’s uncle made Manhattans only with bonded rye for years, and we refuse to change.

WT 101 rye is our most used followed by OO bonded although OF 100 rye is pushing the OO aside lately.  All our Ms and Bs are served with rocks unless the recipient asks for up.

Went with the OFRye and they were out of Bruto so I grabbed an Amaro. Age for about 2 weeks then bottle and add bitters. Not sure if it’s actually a Boulevardiers, but confident it will be delicious and go very quickly. 

DF0518C0-C726-46C1-955C-2D9B0EBBD537.jpeg

Edited by Bob_Loblaw
  • I like it 1

I topped off the barrel on Sunday with more OF Rye and by Monday it was clear that I overfilled and liquid was being forced out.  Poured some directly over a large cube and it already tastes great!  The wife really enjoyed.  I received a set of Woodford reserve bitters awhile back which includes Aromatic, Orange, Spiced Cherry, Chocolate, and Sassafras Bitters.  Plan is to do 5x 500ml bottles each with a different type of bitters.  

I'm usually of the opinion that it's a waste to use premium/expensive whiskey in cocktails but this really popped.  1 1/2 oz bourbon and 1oz each of vermouth and Campari. 

boulevardier3.jpg

• I like it 4

23 hours ago, MadGoodPour said:

W107 is great in all cocktails.

I did a batch of W017 Barrel Aged Manhattans a few months before the price jumped from $19.99 to $49.99.   It was a really good cocktail, but unlikely to be replicated now.  I actually have not bought any W107 since that jump.  Stocks are getting low though so I will probably have to cave soon.  I'm trying to get my local to flip back to a W017 barrel instead of sticking with another Full Proof this year.  There has been a dearth of good W107 bottles since everyone wanted the new shiny WFP toy these past two years.  And I'll pony up for a pick. 

Edited by Bob_Loblaw

• 2 weeks later...

Came home from Easter a bit tipsy, but went ahead and bottled up the Boulevardiers.  After a few samples to gift we ended up with 3x 500ml bottles and one full 750, less after making a few drinks. 

Not sure exactly what the cocktail is called but it’s damn tasty. I think I’ll need to bump it up to a 5L next time I purchase a new barrel. 

33E45EE3-0211-40A2-BDCA-8C3C55D93F4B.jpeg

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.