What bourbon did you miss out on today - Q2 2021

parksmart
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don’t recall a topic along these lines in recent memory, so let’s see if anyone else finds this thread worthwhile.  Kinda like the “one that got away” fishing stories, consider this the same for bottles and pours you just missed out on at bars, restaurants and stores.  

I’ll start with a pic from just last night that’s pretty self explanatory......😵

945B4B25-DCB0-42BC-B653-8D7E0FED3F70.jpeg

• I like it 1

Can you go back? That doesnt come around often.  (Heard its not that great)

I have so many misses i wouldnt know where to start. 
A couple years ago I left a shelf of Blaum Bros 12 yr Single Barrels on the shelf before I knew what the heck they were. Grabbed the Belle Meade 12 year instead which is not a bad consolation. Both 12 yr MGP

Edited by FasterHorses

I doubt they have bottles in storage waiting to come out...... 😐

Even if it’s not particularly tasty, would still like to give it a try just to confirm.

18 minutes ago, parksmart said:

Even if it’s not particularly tasty, would still like to give it a try just to confirm.

Thats a good price to try that.

Did you miss because they sold out, or you missed it on the menu?

Think Eagle Rare, but replace the cherry with strawberry.

That’s basically what it tastes like.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, parksmart said:

I don’t recall a topic along these lines in recent memory, so let’s see if anyone else finds this thread worthwhile.  Kinda like the “one that got away” fishing stories, consider this the same for bottles and pours you just missed out on at bars, restaurants and stores.  

I’ll start with a pic from just last night that’s pretty self explanatory......😵

I like the idea of the thread.  I actually think this fits in well right now.  I used to love the "dusty finds" thread, but since that ship has long past sailed, this thread should have some legs.

I loved the Makers Mark 101 and assumed it was a permanent line extension.   Turns out I haven't been able to replace my bottle because, well,  because it's apparently not.    

I remember passing on a few bottles of EHT Smb at a local grocery store a couple of years ago because I thought the price was a few $ to high. Now that I want more of it, I can't find it or it's a lottery item around here.

Took a quick trip to Baton Rouge this weekend and passed up a pour of Blantons at every stop we made without even asking prices. Had a Parrish Brewery Canebreak, of which I am a fan at two restaurants and good ole' Yeungling at another. Besides beer goes better with oysters, whether raw or charred...

• I like it 2

18 hours ago, parksmart said:

And here I thought you were going to say the Tincup! Jk, that’s incredible for the EHT

19 hours ago, 0895 said:

Thats a good price to try that.

Did you miss because they sold out, or you missed it on the menu?

Think Eagle Rare, but replace the cherry with strawberry.

That’s basically what it tastes like.

Saw it on the menu.  Ordered it and actually went inside (was seated outdoors) to see if they had the bottle on the shelves.  Only saw the CEHT SiB and SmB bottles amongst the couple hundred bottles they had behind the bar.  Server returned to confirm they were sold out.  Bah!

• I like it 1

On 4/10/2021 at 7:38 PM, parksmart said:

Beer Baron?  That's a great place to sample whiskey.  Great selection and reasonable prices.  And, great idea for a thread, BTW.  I recently missed out on Stagg Jr. batch 15.  My son wound up getting the last bottle from the store we've been getting it at for the last year or two since it's completely dried up everywhere else.  Of course, now reviewers are saying it might be the best batch ever...

3 hours ago, fosmith said:

Of course, now reviewers are saying it might be the best batch ever...

“They” say that for every new batch 😂

That nonsense started with 12, and I’ve yet to meet anyone who’s done all 15 sbs at once.

Let’s be honest...

They are all pretty good, even batch one if you dump enough water or ER10 into it.

😁

• I like it 8

missed some OF 100p store picks. the Oregon control board website showed 4 in stock at a store here in Portland. I go there, and was told " sure, we keep them in the back". The guy comes out of the back and says "no dice, 2 were damaged, and the owner is keeping the other 2". What BS. I was walking out frustrated when I saw they had JD SBBP for 54$, and ECBP for 69$. Ok, I'll take those. 

• I like it 1

29 minutes ago, steven s said:

missed some OF 100p store picks. the Oregon control board website showed 4 in stock at a store here in Portland. I go there, and was told " sure, we keep them in the back". The guy comes out of the back and says "no dice, 2 were damaged, and the owner is keeping the other 2". What BS. I was walking out frustrated when I saw they had JD SBBP for 54$, and ECBP for 69$. Ok, I'll take those. 

You won. No looking back.

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, 0895 said:

“They” say that for every new batch 😂

That nonsense started with 12, and I’ve yet to meet anyone who’s done all 15 sbs at once.

Let’s be honest...

They are all pretty good, even batch one if you dump enough water or ER10 into it.

😁

Here's a Youtube video of a guy that tasted batches 1 through 14 sbs.  It's over 2 1/2 hours long so not recommended unless you have plenty of free tome.  But, by the end, you'll see why professional tasters spit rather than swallow when tasting a large number of whiskies, lol. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJDycfLOsOQ

• I like it 1

The state of Ohio's liquor agency, OHLQ, posted up their results from their latest lottery which was held for the chance to purchase a bottle of their single barrel select Blanton's, Eagle Rare, or E.H. Taylor.  As of today, my perfect record still stands in these lotteries with zero wins....

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

The state of Ohio's liquor agency, OHLQ, posted up their results from their latest lottery which was held for the chance to purchase a bottle of their single barrel select Blanton's, Eagle Rare, or E.H. Taylor.  As of today, my perfect record still stands in these lotteries with zero wins....

I learned of the lotto a day after registration was closed. 

Although I took advantage of the price THIS ☝️time, but will be missing out on it next time since I can’t see them keeping stock at that price...nice pour nevertheless & yes KO was almost twice the price of GTS (which they were out of 😩)...

ADEE1138-E922-4DC9-9818-AE9EF8A560C8.jpeg

Edited by JvW

8 hours ago, JvW said:

Although I took advantage of the price THIS ☝️time, but will be missing out on it next time since I can’t see them keeping stock at that price...nice pour nevertheless & yes KO was almost twice the price of GTS (which they were out of 😩)...

ADEE1138-E922-4DC9-9818-AE9EF8A560C8.jpeg

Is this at the summit?

1 hour ago, Sgtspitter101 said:

Is this at the summit?

It is & within the Origin Hotel.

Edited by JvW

35 minutes ago, JvW said:

It is & within the Origin Hotel.

I spotted it one day driving by, i havent been. I live in Casey county and visit 2-3 times a month to lexington if you wish to share some places with a good bourbon bar.

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, Sgtspitter101 said:

I spotted it one day driving by, i havent been. I live in Casey county and visit 2-3 times a month to lexington if you wish to share some places with a good bourbon bar.

I am from out of town as well; this was the 1st time for me to enjoy 33 Staves, but usually we stay at Lexington Green where Palmers has a great selection of Bourbons.  I did see another Bourbon Bar at the Summit, but haven’t explored it yet. 

19 hours ago, Sgtspitter101 said:

OBC in Landsdowne has a very nice selection.  They are just down from the original Malone’s on Tate’s Creek.  

I also love the bar at Goodfella’s, in the distillery district.  The pizza’s pretty good too!😉

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.