What bourbon did you miss out on today - Q2 2021

parksmart
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

8 hours ago, JvW said:

I am from out of town as well; this was the 1st time for me to enjoy 33 Staves, but usually we stay at Lexington Green where Palmers has a great selection of Bourbons.  I did see another Bourbon Bar at the Summit, but haven’t explored it yet. 

Palmer's is outstanding!   Must visit when eating/drinking staying in Lexington!

Busy, busy busy. We were out and about today. More than once. 🙄 The short version is that on the way back home from our last trip out, we stopped to grab a few things at a local grocery store that we don’t normally stop at. Of course I checked out the liquor department. In the bourbon section, there was an empty spot on a shelf with a tag that read, “Clearance: MM 101-$33.00”. I guess I wasn’t sent the notice. 😒

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

I didn’t miss out on all of these per se, as had I managed to get in I’d only have been able to purchase one (and could have been stuck with something I don’t really want), but the thread seemed appropriate enough.

Anyway, my local is doing a special sale for their top customers, where 50 people got to partake in some entry contests (trivia, best joke, fastest response email, stuff like that) for 12 tickets to the sale of 12 special bottles. I’m usually pretty on top of their emails, but had a busy week so I wasn’t always at my computer and didn’t manage to win one of the tickets. Some of the bottles in the sale include: PVW 23, 4RSmB LE, Blanton’s Gold, 2020 GTS, 2020 THH, EC18, W12, VW 12 Lot B.

Kind of disappointed I didn’t get in, but my wallet’s not, even though they were all priced at a reasonable markup over MSRP. Oh well 🤷‍♂️ 

• I like it 2

Passed on ECBP A121 for $80; didn't realize they bumped the MSRP up to $70 this year!  

Got a couple bottles of this for $65 a few weeks ago, thought that was reasonable.  Now I'm going to have to slow my roll on the bottles of WOW, as I just can't see paying $80+ for it moving forward.  

Passed on KC12 for $60.  Had one in the cart but had to put it back in favor of a few bottles of Fernet from the widest selection I've seen since State Line.  

This store in Danbury, which I stop by every time I'm up at the BI campus, is one of my favorites.  

Passed on a Bookers Country Ham for $80... now I’m feeling the regrets! Will prob go back. 

On 4/27/2021 at 6:47 AM, TheSherpa said:

Passed on a Bookers Country Ham for $80... now I’m feeling the regrets! Will prob go back. 

Not for $80, I'd let it sit IMO.

• I like it 3

On 4/27/2021 at 5:47 AM, TheSherpa said:

9 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Not for $80, I'd let it sit IMO.

Made a stop on the way home just to take a look see. I saw a Booker’s on the shelf for $94.99.  😒

Biba! Joe

On 4/27/2021 at 3:47 AM, TheSherpa said:

Go back!  That's not bad for Country Ham.  It's considered one of the best batches in the past five years.  In the top five, I'd say.  Any other 2019/20/21 batch, leave it on the shelf at that price..

55 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Go back!  That's not bad for Country Ham.  It's considered one of the best batches in the past five years.  In the top five, I'd say.  Any other 2019/20/21 batch, leave it on the shelf at that price..

For a 6 year old bourbon that has been marked-up on purpose?  Maybe I'm cheap but I wouldn't reward that for that price.  For $60, go for it, but not when it's creeping towards $100.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, PhantomLamb said:

For a 6 year old bourbon that has been marked-up on purpose?  Maybe I'm cheap but I wouldn't reward that for that price.  For $60, go for it, but not when it's creeping towards $100.

I don't think you will ever see it for $60 again.  I think $80 is basically Booker's MSRP now. 

• I like it 3

8 hours ago, Clueby said:

I don't think you will ever see it for $60 again.  I think $80 is basically Booker's MSRP now. 

Yep, until the “bubble” busts 😂.

• I like it 2

I think for most people it may depend on whether you have other Booker's in your bunker or not.  For anyone who does not have Booker's on hand, then it's reasonable to buy it at that price, just for the experience if nothing else (we all are slaves to something called 'curiosity' after all). 

But if you already have some bottles that you paid $40 to $60 for, then ... easy pass, even if that particular batch is considered marginally "better" than others (p.s. I've had a fair number of Booker's and find the variations mentioned online to be quite overexaggerated).  IMO there is a "need" for new enthusiasts to seek out variations in different batches to justify their desire to chase special bottles (disclaimer I was guilty of this in my early journey.  This is called tater behavior,  and it's quite common and normal in the current environment).

Bottom line, let's not forget to enjoy ourselves while sipping our favorite bourbons 😀

• I like it 6

8 hours ago, Kepler said:

I think for most people it may depend on whether you have other Booker's in your bunker or not.  For anyone who does not have Booker's on hand, then it's reasonable to buy it at that price, just for the experience if nothing else (we all are slaves to something called 'curiosity' after all). 

But if you already have some bottles that you paid $40 to $60 for, then ... easy pass, even if that particular batch is considered marginally "better" than others (p.s. I've had a fair number of Booker's and find the variations mentioned online to be quite overexaggerated).  IMO there is a "need" for new enthusiasts to seek out variations in different batches to justify their desire to chase special bottles (disclaimer I was guilty of this in my early journey.  This is called tater behavior,  and it's quite common and normal in the current environment).

Bottom line, let's not forget to enjoy ourselves while sipping our favorite bourbons 😀

Very well said!   If you like it and are happy - who cares?

12 hours ago, Kepler said:

4 hours ago, geclbxf said:

Very well said!   If you like it and are happy - who cares?

Yes, and yes.  I agree all around.  Like many, I did the same things.  The thrill of searching, finding, buying, opening, and tasting, was so fun in the early years of my journey in this hobby.  Those days were so fun.  I certainly can’t judge others negatively for doing the same thing in their own journey.  

• I like it 3

Despite all of my Walton Mountain Christmas Feel Good Episode spiel above...we can still poke a little fun at them on occasion though, right??...🤣.   

• I like it 5

MM101. 

It was reasonably priced, but I snagged a bottle of MM46 cask strength instead. I do not regret that decision.

I passed on buying more than one of these. KCSB ryes.  Someone at Beam hit it out of the park by selecting this barrel for the VA ABC.

20210502_140224.thumb.jpg.8745bb1b646a5baa2dc02b4f2f6799fc.jpg After a couple of pours, I do regret that decision.  It's very good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.