Vintage bottle of Bourbon

Labor53
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My father was born and raised in Kentucky. When cleaning out the house this bottle was found. The date on the seal is 1953. 
Not looking to sell but trying to find out the value of the bottle. It is in the original box as well. 

BDD214E4-C08F-4A77-90A6-8FF3BF2BB5D2.jpeg

AF43626F-1877-4000-8323-F2C22C3E8AAD.jpeg

10 hours ago, Labor53 said:

My father was born and raised in Kentucky. When cleaning out the house this bottle was found. The date on the seal is 1953. 
Not looking to sell but trying to find out the value of the bottle. It is in the original box as well. 

BDD214E4-C08F-4A77-90A6-8FF3BF2BB5D2.jpeg

AF43626F-1877-4000-8323-F2C22C3E8AAD.jpeg

For insurance purposes? Here's a link you might find interesting (keep in mind auction fees can be 20-25%):

https://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/2984T/lots/1539

https://abandonedonline.net/location/john-a-barry-distillery/

Your tax stamp should confirm if it is 14 years.

For drinking consideration, you can also use the search function here and find people pretty "meh" on the quality of Dowling bourbons. Aside from being a snippet of history, it's generally not a sought after brand for enthusiasts.

I found the second link about the distillery that made this bourbon, Old Poindexter to be pretty interesting. They went of business, and Schenley bought the stock and bottled under their Dowling brand. The more interesting part to me is the note that Old Poindexter used a 60% corn mash with unmalted barley being a part of the remaining 40%. I assume it would have had at least 12-15% malted barley as well. If true, I have never heard of a bourbon mash that included unmalted barley. Malted barley of course, malted and unmalted rye sure, but I have only heard of unmalted barely used in Irish whiskey.

Does anyone know of any currently available bourbon mash with unmalted barley?

I tried Dowling De Luxe about 15 years ago, that was made by Heaven Hill.  I'm pretty sure it was the standard HH mash bill they used for many brands.  I picked that up in Louisville.  I have not seen one since.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.