Need Info: 1960s/70s Old Grand-dad Bonded 100 Proof Bourbon

oldgranddad
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi, 

I just came across this bottle of OGD Bonded 100 Proof Bourbon. Looks clear and not cloudy at all, with only a little evaporation over the years. Not much of a bourbon drinker myself but hoping somebody else can help me tie down the exact years on this bottle, I think it is late 60s or early 70s?? Also hoping for any ideas of value-- seems to me to be worth around $300? but I gather the bonded 100 is scarcer than the 86 proof. 

Thanks in advance for any help!

IMG_9922.jpg

IMG_9921.jpg

IMG_9923.jpg

IMG_9924.jpg

Welcome to SB.  I’m not sure it’s evaporation that has lowered the liquid content of that bottle, judging from what looks like that the tax strip is broken.  Probably, the bottle has been sampled before.  Since this appears to be a DSP 14, that person who sampled had a taste of a great whiskey!  Little “worth” because of that condition, and frankly, unless you know the ownership since original purchase I wouldn’t recommend drinking yourself.  Regardless, a nice bottle.  Thanks for sharing the picture.  

• I like it 1

Once the seal has been broken, integrity of contents is in question.  Hypothetically someone could have refilled it with whatever.  If you know where it's been all these years, and don't believe any tampering, it would be fun to taste.  Whenever big dollar amounts get mentioned that's a big red flag.

4/5 Quart bottle was introduced during WWII and stayed in use till I believe 1978.  The 60 on the bottom of the bottle may indicate the bottle was made in 1960.

I maybe would drink it, and definitely save the bottle for a decanter.

P.S. Selling liquor without a license is against the law. 😉 

• I like it 1

Part of the requirement for "bottled in bond" status is to put on the label exactly where it was made.  DSP stands for distilled spirits producer.  The number indicates a specific location (distillery).

Distillery Spirts Plant. DSP 14 is Old Grandad in Frankfort. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.