Pandemic lunacy: Home finishing, to either KC SiB or MM CS

LGC
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The boredom is getting to me.  I'm about to sacrifice a *partial bottle, for the sake of "what if". 

Which would you rather add a stave to: Knob Creek Single Barrel or Maker's Mark Cask Strength ?

I'm leaning towards the KC; as it has less complexity than the MM, to start with. 

897876734_KCorMMPLunacy.thumb.jpg.a2727cbb4f77741123f4e358a644313a.jpg

*I'll only be using  16 oz. (to keep the math simple)

I vote MM. It needs all the help that it can get.

Edited by mal00768
  • I like it 2

17 minutes ago, mal00768 said:

I vote MM. It needs all the help that it can get.

Hahaha.  The regular offering is just so so, but I like CS and 101 a lot.

I will also vote MM.  Because you are replicating what they do anyway and can then compare your finished product against MM46 or other Private Selects that have been stave finished.

Best advice i can give, regardless of which one you choose, think about how much of the spiral you want to use. Now think about half of that amount.  Okay, now only use half of that amount. So, to clarify,  1/4 of what you think is the right amount. 

Oak staves are way too intense and it takes a while to learn what an ideal amount to use is.

How about decant into several smaller bottles.  Put a different amount of stave in each one.

Maybe do some MM and some KC.

Save some of the original to compare to experiments. 

8 minutes ago, clearmoon247 said:

Best advice i can give, regardless of which one you choose, think about how much of the spiral you want to use. Now think about half of that amount.  Okay, now only use half of that amount. So, to clarify,  1/4 of what you think is the right amount. 

Oak staves are way too intense and it takes a while to learn what an ideal amount to use is.

I’ll add that you should go even further than Clearmoon suggests.  Take that last half from his reduction exercise and take half of that.  Then, take that that and throw it in the trash.  Then, drink either of those fine whiskies...unadulterated.  Salute the nearest oak tree, if you must... 😊

• I like it 3

How about this experiment.

Combine equal amounts of the KC and MM in a bottle.  Let it rest about a week.

It could be the new contender to compete with GWFG or the SB Weller blend. 🙂

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

I’ll add that you should go even further than Clearmoon suggests.  Take that last half from his reduction exercise and take half of that.  Then, take that that and throw it in the trash.  Then, drink either of those fine whiskies...unadulterated.  Salute the nearest oak tree, if you must... 😊

This!

• I like it 2

Dropped in 2 discs.  I'll check every 2 - 3 days, to see if there's any change

645805460_MMCSfinishing.jpg.aa530dbd76053eeec08b0b9722d52fcc.jpg

On 5/11/2021 at 4:37 PM, LGC said:

I'm leaning towards the KC; as it has less complexity than the MM, to start with.

Really?  Just more evidence that everyone's palate is different.

• I like it 1

On 5/12/2021 at 5:34 PM, Kepler said:

Really?  Just more evidence that everyone's palate is different.

That was my thought as well. 🤷‍♂️

MMCS is such a one-trick-pony to me.

16 minutes ago, Clueby said:

That was my thought as well. 🤷‍♂️

MMCS is such a one-trick-pony to me.

Yep agree. I really like the cask strength version of MM, ... but even the CS version I wouldn't necessarily describe as being complex.

To be fair, KC isn't on the complex side of the spectrum either but at least with the significant oakiness combined with the brown sugar notes,  it hits the spot of a nicely balanced and complex straight bourbon.

Want to talk about complexity in this thread?  Apparently WR has over 200 tasting notes, but I guess I'm just a noob as I only noted 134 of them.

• I like it 1

Long time no post, hello folks! @OP, I Would have gone with the MM too, I'd say try and compliment the backbone, and the KC9 wood seems toasted to me.

8 hours ago, ModestGlutton said:

Long time no post, hello folks! @OP, I Would have gone with the MM too, I'd say try and compliment the backbone, and the KC9 wood seems toasted to me.

Well welcome back!

On 5/11/2021 at 10:41 PM, clearmoon247 said:

THX.  Just cut down an oak tree and wondered what to do with the shards.:o

• I like it 1

34 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

THX.  Just cut down an oak tree and wondered what to do with the shards.:o

Harry, it has to be white oak, not red oak.  Then you have to allow it to dry long enough, then char it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.