What do you do?

rmoore926
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 5/28/2021 at 8:59 AM, dcbt said:

I'm an accounting and finance consultant (CPA by trade but people always assume 'taxes' with that term, and nothing could be further from the truth, so I usually have to qualify that).

I sympathize. I am also a CPA but make it clear that I am not a tax accountant. I am the CFO of a dental service organization (DSO), and I have people handle the taxes. ha!

Pat

• I like it 1

I was once a business analyst for a software firm, but was made redundant just as we entered the first lockdown in March '20. Thanks to hefty savings and a decent pay-off I have yet to re-enter the employment market. I don't think I could go back to working for the industry I did, I hated it when I was there and the thought of returning makes my skin crawl. So I will review my options and see where the wind blows me. 

• I like it 5

Product Manager/EE for an electrical connector company based in Louisville, hence the trips to the motherland 😀.

• I like it 2

I am retired now and enjoy working/hunting/fishing on our 340 acre farm.  Before that I was managing partner at  five lumber yards in mid-Missouri.  Have also owned and ran a sporting clays gun club.  Way back worked selling construction equipment. And before that a motorcycle mechanic.

• I like it 5

I spent the last 28 years of my career brokering U.S.Treasuries, until I got laid off last June. Zero interest rates don’t do much for price volatility. Prior to that I was a trader and salesman in the same market. I loved the action, the rough and tumble of a trading floor. Not the business for someone with a thin skin. The largest trade I did personally was for a billion and change, that got everyone’s attention. I thought I would miss it more but towards the end of my career my last customer passed away and i was backing up a couple of morons. I felt myself getting dumber by the day sitting between them. 

With all this free time you would think my golf game would improve but it has not. Then again I have an 8:40 tee time tomorrow so hope springs eternal. 

• I like it 6

If you are a working man (or woman), no matter what you do, you have my respect. I was raised this way and see no job as menial if you do your best.

Kool topic here!

I own a niche I.T. company; building servers, setting up networks, laisons with the EMR (electronic medical records) companies and managing them for Dental & Medical small offices.

My Baby & me raised 4 kids and put them through college. One with a PhD, another with a Masters, a third with a BSN and a 4th that finished but probably was the most responsible for my hair loss.

This Paw Paw thing is much less stressfull... 😜👍

• I like it 8

I have been a barber for 39 years, although not full time for the last 12. It is a family business with my Pop and my brother. Two things happened 12 years ago that changed me forever. My wife of 27 years walked out and my dad retired after 56 years of cutting hair. My Pop retiring took the wind out of my sails. The thought of going to work and him not there was unsettling for me. So, I decided a change was in order. I quit barbering full time and took a job with the municipality where I live. I am now an Equipment Operator. I'm 4 years from retirement and looking forward to spending more time at the lake and with the grandchildren. Life is good!!

Prost!!  Phil 

• I like it 9

14 hours ago, River Hills said:

I am retired now and enjoy working/hunting/fishing on our 340 acre farm.  Before that I was managing partner at  five lumber yards in mid-Missouri.  Have also owned and ran a sporting clays gun club.  Way back worked selling construction equipment. And before that a motorcycle mechanic.

Where was your clays club ?

While going to a NRA convention in St Louis, I shot at Prairie Grove near Columbia. Had a terrific day. They put me with a bunch

of retired guys, that really had fun worked out. They were really good too.  I had my OU, and they were doing clays 6 at a time. 

We were west of Columbia 10 miles.  Just west of the Missouri River.  Sporting Clays, 5-Stand, Skeet, and Trap.

• I like it 1

I am a real estate appraiser.  Part of my work is driving out to inspect various properties and if I schedule it right, I can drive home and hit every liquor store along the way.  Got a coupe of minor scores doing that.  Fixin' to retire in the next couple of years (I'm 66).  Trying to convince the wife we should trade the house for an RV and spend our golden years visiting all the distilleries in KY and beyond. 

Got my wife mostly converted from Vodka to Bourbon.  She just left primary teaching after 30-ish years, not sure what she wants to do next (she's 58). 

• I like it 4

On 5/30/2021 at 7:35 PM, ThomasGazelle said:

High school vice principal

I can imagine that drives you to drink. 😜

• I like it 5

I Drink...and I know things.

(In addition to managing a small family owned furniture store)

• I like it 7

Veterinary vaccine production.  Previously a jet engine mechanic in the USAF (B52, KC/EC135, and F15).

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, tsangster said:

Veterinary vaccine production.  Previously a jet engine mechanic in the USAF (B52, KC/EC135, and F15).

Hhhm.  Based on my experience of trying to give my cats shots and pills, your previous experience of dealing with things that REQUIRE three or four hands to fix properly put you in good stead for your current career.😺

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Hhhm.  Based on my experience of trying to give my cats shots and pills, your previous experience of dealing with things that REQUIRE three or four hands to fix properly put you in good stead for your current career.😺

I'm well upstream of the scratching, biting, clawing critters.  In the lab growing out tissues and infecting with virus then putting in vials and freeze drying.  But you're correct, I became quite creative wrenching on 40+ year old planes. 

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, tsangster said:

I'm well upstream of the scratching, biting, clawing critters.  In the lab growing out tissues and infecting with virus then putting in vials and freeze drying.  But you're correct, I became quite creative wrenching on 40+ year old planes. 

I used to travel frequently to Shreveport up until about 6-7 years ago, which of course, is where Barksdsle AFB is.  They have a group of B52s that would do practice touchdowns, and I enjoyed watching them work.  I noted early the extreme amount of black smoke that came out of the engines.  Is that normal, Tom?

47 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I used to travel frequently to Shreveport up until about 6-7 years ago, which of course, is where Barksdsle AFB is.  They have a group of B52s that would do practice touchdowns, and I enjoyed watching them work.  I noted early the extreme amount of black smoke that came out of the engines.  Is that normal, Tom?

The B52 is an odd bird.  Lands sideways, the tail sometimes starts flying first, the wings flap on take-off, and it smokes like a freight train.  You were probably seeing H-models with the 'new and improved' TF33 engines - at least they were somewhat new and improved when the planes were re-engined a hundred or so years ago.  I worked on the G-models with water injected J57 engines.  Those bad boys really smoke. 

Fun story, I was one of the 2 engine mechanics assigned to the CentCom command and control EC135 (General Schwarzkopf's ride) during Desert Shield/Storm.  When it came time to go to New York for the ticker tape parade we had to stay home because our plane was too loud and smoked too much (also TF33 engines) for New York's likings.  If I recall correctly the General and Staff hopped on a Gulf Stream and had an enjoyable trip.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, tsangster said:

I read Joe's comments before posting.  THANKS for the additional info.  I've been in plenty of planes that landed sideways - a C-119 in a Pittsburgh ice storm being only one - never forget seeing the bluff out the window which we were BELOW until the winds lifted us to plop on the end.  I was 19 - didn't think I would see 20.  FWIW, experimental chem kept one of our cats alive an additional two years or so, and another broke ground on multiple myeloma (rare in cats).  I was glad I could afford to contribute to the body of knowledge.  I'm posting this because often the persons in the trenches never hear whether their efforts worked out.  In our case - you all succeeded WITH ACES.

• I like it 2

I am most fortunate in that I have been in the Adult Beverage industry on both the supply and distribution side for the last 30 years. For the past 3 years I have been a whisk(e)y Ambassador for a SC distributor. I had originally planned to retire at the end of the year but honestly I kinda hate to. I am more than fairly compensated, travel the state (and in non-covid times travel to distilleries here and abroad), I get plenty of very good to great free whiskey and I go to bed with no problems to solve.

• I like it 14

19 hours ago, Old Hippie said:

I am most fortunate in that I have been in the Adult Beverage industry on both the supply and distribution side for the last 30 years. For the past 3 years I have been a whisk(e)y Ambassador for a SC distributor. I had originally planned to retire at the end of the year but honestly I kinda hate to. I am more than fairly compensated, travel the state (and in non-covid times travel to distilleries here and abroad), I get plenty of very good to great free whiskey and I go to bed with no problems to solve.

Let me know when you retire and they need to fill your old job!

• I like it 10

On 5/31/2021 at 8:42 AM, RT Fan said:

I spent the last 28 years of my career brokering U.S.Treasuries, until I got laid off last June. Zero interest rates don’t do much for price volatility. Prior to that I was a trader and salesman in the same market. I loved the action, the rough and tumble of a trading floor. Not the business for someone with a thin skin. The largest trade I did personally was for a billion and change, that got everyone’s attention. I thought I would miss it more but towards the end of my career my last customer passed away and i was backing up a couple of morons. I felt myself getting dumber by the day sitting between them. 

With all this free time you would think my golf game would improve but it has not. Then again I have an 8:40 tee time tomorrow so hope springs eternal. 

Always wondered.

I know for the little money crowd, bonds are a small payoff safer investment.

Other than rapid trading price shifts, how does big money make enough to keep investing huge amounts ?  Never really understood it.

I was fascinated by the small window of time, flash traders in stocks found Verizon accidently made a super fast phone line.

They found when a huge trade was made, in the time the trade was phoned from one side of Wall Street, via New Jersey, to across the street at the trading floor.

They could phone Chicago and make a play on the huge trade.

Made huge profit, for a little while.  LOL

I was in excavation running machines, trucks, and shovels for 12 years after college. Two years ago I joined an engineering firm and I am a Landscape Architect for them, also while running my own small design build business as well.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.