Bourbons available when travelling

camduncan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bobby:

That bottle of 10-year 90 Proof ORVW is only sold in the UK & France. It's a 700ml. We don't have that size bottle in our squat bottle so we put it in the cognac style bottle. It's the same whiskey that is sold in the US.

Julian

I had the pleasure of opening this bottle on Saturday night with a small group of family who where with us to celebrate our engagement. It was a truly a remarkable bourbon! I can't begin to say enough good things about this bowdown.gif Keeping us from drinking the bottle was a big ask!

We drank it neat in tumbler glasses (I couldn't find the brandy glasses...and I'm still not sure where they are..) In my naive and limited tasting ability (I have a nasty habit of drowning my bourbon in Cola,) I found it a little oily and very smooth. The finish gave a small after-burn, not the nasty burn that I sometimes encounter from straight bourbon and had quite a full (?) flavour left on the tongue.

There are definately many charactaristics that I want to explore with future tastings.

It's a true crying shame that this bourbon isn't readily available in Australia frown.gif I've heard and read that the Rye is an even better drop, so it will be a treat to open at some future stage laugh.gif

• 2 months later...

Just returned from 10 days in Belize and Guatemala and the american whiskey selection consists of Jim Beam White and JD....that's all I saw. Also, Southern Comfort was everywhere.....sometimes in the old, white labeled, tax-stamped bottles and occasionally in the 100 proof. I suggested to every bar manager I found that he should drop the JB White completely....nobody is going to drink a JB White as a mixer in Belize.....local rum is the choice there. And, nobody is going to drink JB White straight when there are several single malts to choose from. I suggested adding JB Black or Bookers to offer the many americans , et al a premium whiskey to drink in lieu of the single malts. Most bar managers replied that they sell very little JB White and that offering a better bourbon makes sense....and could stil be mixed by those that wanted to. The bar manager for the Copola resorts actually got on the phone with his supplier while we were talking to inquire about availability. When I poured him a sample of a few bourbons I had brought with me, he shook his head and said now he knows why no one drinks the JB White straight.

Belize Duty Free ...... unremarkable except for the WT Wedgewood decanters at the Belize City airport. $225 US. These boxes were very dusty and have been there a long time.

Randy

I've done a bit of research on those Wedgewood crystal decanters I saw in the Belize Duty Free shop. First, I enquired with WT directly and they didn't have a clue but believed they were produced over 20 years ago. I then contacted a decanter shop in KY.....they hadn't seen a Wedgewood crystal decanter either but had most of the other WT decanters in their inventory. I found this same decanter on the Whisky Exchange (UK) website for sale at 400 pounds incl TT&L ...... that's quite a bit more than $225 US. My guess is that this may have been a product for the UK ....... hence some examples showing up in Belize Duty Free (formerly British Honduras). If anybody has any info, please chime in.

Randy

• 1 month later...

Has anyone been to Singapore recently?

If so, what is available over there?

My Fiance' is heading over next week on a business trip and wants to know what she should pick me up whilst she is there (she's an Angel! wink.gif)

Thanks for the link Tim toast.gif

I'm actually thinking I might have better luck finding something different if I send Jen to a shop rather than the airport. When we stopped over on the way to the UK, Raffles had plenty of Four Roses behind the bar...so I'm assuming it is sold somewhere over there (it's not sold in Australia) I don't remember seeing it at the airport when we were there - just the standard Beam / Turkey / JD offerings.

I just returned from Tahiti and some other islands in French Polynesia. Selection at bars included Four Roses Yellow label, Early Times Bourbon (not blended whiskey), Jim Beam Black, and WT 101. I also snagged a couple of bottles of WT Freedom at duty free at LAX airport.

I talk to some people at our Singapore Help Desk frequently and will see if they have any knowledge of bourbon and what is available.

Wouldn't you know it? None of the staff at the help desk are drinkers. However they are trying to find me a web site for an online liquor store there so stay tuned just in case.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Jen is home safe and sound from her trip & cruise....

5 days in Singapore, cruising on the Superstar Virgo and shopping in Kuala Lumpa (not sure of the spelling there confused.gif)

She didn't see any of the Four Roses I asked her to look for frown.gif, but she did pick me up a nice bottle of Wild Turkey Freedom laugh.gif I couldn't find any tasting notes posted on this, so I'm not sure what to expect.... lol.gif

Freedom is a very nice pour, to my taste it is most similar to Kentucky Spirit, which puts it in very nice company.

I might be living in Japan for the next year and if i go I will definitely need directions to any bottling shops you know about that carry bourbon.

Our own forum member Koji operates Sal's Cafe, a bourbon bar in Japan (Tokyo?):

Sal's Cafe

The website is mostly in Japanese. The pictures are mostly in bourbon.

• 1 month later...

Jen is off on a 5 day 'work trip' to London in 2 weeks time crazy.gif

I've asked her to pick up another bottle of Van Winkle 13yo Rye yum.gif from Royal Mile Whiskies smile.gif

I was not sure if I should get a 2nd bottle, or try something else in the same price bracket like a Noah Hill 15yo confused.gif

Does anyone have any other recommendations from their site? - www.royalmilewhiskies.com

Hello Cam,

Since bourbons are truly a matter of taste I am always hesitant to recommend something that I like but you might not. Interestingly I'll be in London in a couple of weeks myself but looking at the prices I'll wait until I am in the States in a few weeks to buy more bourbon. But that's just the strength of the Pound.

Here are bourbons I'd recommend -- but I don't know what is readily available in Australia (I'd enjoy investigating that in person smile.gif )

Eagle Rare 10 Yr Old -- from Distiller of the Year '05, Whisky Magazine, Buffalo Trace Distillery, this is one of my personal favorites

W.L. Weller 12 year old, a wheated bourbon also from BT, very smooth and my favorite wheated

Four Roses Single Barrel (though maybe you can get this in Australia since it has been until recently a bourbon for Japan) -- "Best of the Best '05" Whiskey magazine, and, yes, I like it.

or why not the Old Rip... 10 year old, if you like what Julian put in the bottle for his rye you should like this one, too

Just a few suggestions

Looks like they have a lot of good bourbobs there. I'm especially fond of Blantons, Rock Hill Farms, Eagle Rare 17, Weller 12yo, and the Four Roses Single Barrel. So many choices! Too bad about the VAT, though.

Looks like they have a lot of good bourbobs there.

Make that "bourbons", not "bourbobs"...Damn, this Van Winkle rye is going to my head tonight!

The bourbob, of course, is a rare and endangered species of songbird, native to Kentucky, that lives only in charred oak trees...

• 1 month later...

Has anyone ever purchased bourbon in New Zealand?

We are off on our honeymoon there in August and I am wanting to bring back a few bourbons.

I know they have Heaven Hill, and several of the Heaven Hill labels, but am not sure where I can purchase them.

My guess is that, other than these, the market is the same as Australia crazy.gif

Thanks for that Tim.

Unfortunatly, they can't tell me where the retailers are....

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also wondering what other 'treats' I might find in New Zealand?? confused.gif

High on the priority list of purchases are Elijah Craig 18yo, Evan Williams Bourbon Old Time Jug, OLD Fitzgerald Heritage 12Year, & Rittenhouse Rye Whisky.

Drops I'm not sure about are (firstly..which Old Fitzgerald to buy as they have 40%, 43%, 100 proof & 12yo), TW SAmuals 100 proof, Distillers Pride 4yo, Old Heaven Hill BIB, Evan Williams 1783, Evan Williams Green Label & Evan Williams Red Label.

• 3 weeks later...

Found a really fine store in the Soho area of London yesterday......Milroy's of Soho...managed by Matt Harris. Of course there is a fine selection of Scotch Whiskys.....but also for bourbon.

Rock Hill Farms

Bufaloe Trace

Van Winkle 12yo, Pappy 15 and Pappy 20

Blanton's Reg, Silver, Gold, Cask Strength (now in my possession)

EC 18yo

EW 23yo (99 pounds)

Many of the Kulsveen products

The Beam Collection, of course

and Stagg to arrive shortly.

Matt even was familiar with the recent two different proofs of Stagg......thought it quite funny. He always visits with the Van Winkles when they're in London. Good guy.

Anyway, a fine store with a very knowledgeable manager.

Randy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.