Buffalo NY Suggestions

PhantomLamb
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Me and Mrs. PhantomLamb are heading up to Niagra tomorrow and Memorial Day and will be staying in Buffalo.  Any suggestions on good places to stop?

As always, appreciate the help!

Thanks,

Lucky Day Whiskey Bar, 320 Pearl Street!  Great whiskey (bourbon) selection, downtown location, nice food.

Cole's in the Elmwood neighborhood.  1104 Elmwood Ave. just off of Forest Ave.  Great Irish vibe and the BESTEST beef on weck sandwich in Western New York - just ask SWMBO.  She grew up just off of Delaware Ave. and hung out at Cole's with her dad when she was a kid.

There's 2 nites worth of beer, bourbon, and bites - Buffalo has really come back, especially the new waterfront.

Skip the Anchor Bar, even for chicken wings.  Tough part of town and mediocre food - more touristy than anything else.

Have a great time!  🥳

Thanks Geeten! Any idea of any good liquor stores to haul back home?

IIRC, the best liquor stores were the Duty Free stores when you came back from the Canadian side of Niagra Falls (even found a bottle of Blanton's Gold a few years ago).   But Canada has closed their border for now - maybe open soon, but not soon enough.

Other than that, New York sales tax makes buying liquor problematic.  Nothing special (rare) or super cheaper at retail, sorry.

I`ve picked up a few Blanton's & Stagg Jrs at Yellow Brick Wine &Liquors in Depew

It's been about 2 years since I was last in Buffalo, but Gates Circle Wine and Spirits had several store picks when I visited. Seemed like a good shop.

Gabriel's Gate is the place for wings.

We ate there,  at the recommendation of many locals, when we visited a couple years ago.   

The Frank Lloyd Wright "Martin House" is pretty cool, if that's your thing. I loved it. Mrs. Skinsfan was bored out of her mind.

Edited by Skinsfan1311

18 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Gabriel's Gate is the place for wings.

We ate there,  at the recommendation of many locals, when we visited a couple years ago.   

The Frank Lloyd Wright "Martin House" is pretty cool, if that's your thing. I loved it. Mrs. Skinsfan was bored out of her mind.

Was going to suggest Gabriel's Gate and you beat me to it!    Listen to Skinsfan and go!

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, geclbxf said:

Was going to suggest Gabriel's Gate and you beat me to it!    Listen to Skinsfan and go!

We got seafood last night, will be up here again to cross the border once COVID clears up.

• 1 month later...

Sorry I missed this earlier.  Would’ve recommended stopping at a Ted’s for a great grilled hot dog, I’d argue Western, Ny does hot dogs better than Chicago or NYC.  Make sure you use there hot relish.  Also get a beef on weck.  Schwabl’s is great but not really close to the center.    I really like the Elmwood neighborhood.  Gabriel’s Gate doesn’t have the best food but I love the vibe.  There’s a place called Founding Fathers Pub, that I really like.  Owner is an ex history teacher and will spew off random trivia questions. They also make a decent fried bologna sandwich, another Buffalo classic.  Ulrich’s, Blackthorn, Eddie Brady’s.  There’s old school taverns that haven’t been remodeled since the 40’s that are fun.

super late but I’ll PM a liquor store recommendation.

On 5/29/2021 at 12:35 PM, GeeTen said:

Lucky Day Whiskey Bar, 320 Pearl Street!  Great whiskey (bourbon) selection, downtown location, nice food.

Cole's in the Elmwood neighborhood.  1104 Elmwood Ave. just off of Forest Ave.  Great Irish vibe and the BESTEST beef on weck sandwich in Western New York - just ask SWMBO.  She grew up just off of Delaware Ave. and hung out at Cole's with her dad when she was a kid.

There's 2 nites worth of beer, bourbon, and bites - Buffalo has really come back, especially the new waterfront.

Skip the Anchor Bar, even for chicken wings.  Tough part of town and mediocre food - more touristy than anything else.

Have a great time!  🥳

Good stuff here.  Don’t think I’ve been to Coles in a long time.  I vaguely remember going on a drunken college night.

• I like it 1

Forgot to mention that I did indeed find some good stuff at Premier Gourmet, that store is unreal.  Picked up 3 rums, 1x Pussers, 1x Hampden, and 1x Hamilton.

As for the beef on weck, I missed it, we were only there for a day.  We went to a seafood place on the Niagra River for dinner that was solid.  Quick trip but will keep this thread for the next time we go up there.  

PS I wanted to get "real" Buffalo wings, just didn't have the time.

Thanks for the help again guys!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.