Jump to content

Wheated Bourbon Reccomendations


Whiskey_Trent
 Share

Recommended Posts

Recently been turned on to wheated bourbons after getting a bottle of redemption wheated and then old elk from Colorado. Looking for some recommendations for others…. What do you guys have for me?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pappy Van Winkle. Just joking. 
 

I would try a Makers Mark variation. Maybe even Larceny.  You’re in SoCal so you can find a Weller Special Reserve at a reasonable price. 
 

 

  • I like it 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Willett has a wheated bourbon that is 115 proof.  Don't know the availability in your area though.  Bernheim is a wheated whiskey, not bourbon.  The Old Fitzgerald is also wheated.  Of course the BIB versions are now all sky high in price but they do sell the 80 proof (at least in KY they do).  Rebel Yell is also wheated.  The 10 year 100 proof iterations are really good.  The regular 100 proof is OK.  Never tried the lowest proof version.

 

Just noticed this was my 1,800th post.  YEAH ME!

Edited by CardsandBourbon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Whiskey_Trent said:

Recently been turned on to wheated bourbons after getting a bottle of redemption wheated and then old elk from Colorado. Looking for some recommendations for others…. What do you guys have for me?

Rebel (formerly Rebel Yell) Distiller's Collection, 113 proof, is really good.  I've not tried the other expressions (10yr and 100 proof) but I've heard good things.  I really like Maker's Mark Cask Strength and MM 101 is worth a try.  The MM stave finished expressions (46, Private Select, Limited Edition) are not in my wheelhouse but others really like them.  Also, David Nicholson 1843 is good.  Larceny Barrel Proof is very good but hard to find, at least in NoCalif.  Not a big fan of regular Larceny but the single barrel store picks can be good, if you can find one. 

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, fosmith said:

Rebel (formerly Rebel Yell) Distiller's Collection, 113 proof, is really good.  I've not tried the other expressions (10yr and 100 proof) but I've heard good things.  I really like Maker's Mark Cask Strength and MM 101 is worth a try.  The MM stave finished expressions (46, Private Select, Limited Edition) are not in my wheelhouse but others really like them.  Also, David Nicholson 1843 is good.  Larceny Barrel Proof is very good but hard to find, at least in NoCalif.  Not a big fan of regular Larceny but the single barrel store picks can be good, if you can find one. 

Second the Rebel Yell 100 proof.  At like $16 OTD here, it's a solid wheater and regularly available, punches above it's weight.

  • I like it 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PhantomLamb said:

Second the Rebel Yell 100 proof.  At like $16 OTD here, it's a solid wheater and regularly available, punches above it's weight.

A third for the Rebel (Yell) 100...one of my favorite sub $20 bottles and miles ahead of its 80 proof brother. Hell, I know it's basically the same, but for some reason I prefer it to the Larceny (which has a vegetal note I'm not fond of).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't overlook McKenzie's excellent (IMO)  wheated bourbon.    Actually,   the best thing that's happened to wheated bourbon lately is Maker's Mark deciding to branch out with variations of their old standby,  giving us cask strength and 101 versions,  and their stave-infused line.    I am interested in Maker's Mark again - the current open bottle is the FAE-01 2021 Limited Release,  which apart from the absolutely ridiculous name,  is soft wheated goodness.     Remember that old Schlitz beer slogan - the kiss of the hops?    This is bourbon with the kiss of the grain,   

  • I like it 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

👍 Rebel 100 (used to be Rebel Yell) is a Luxco brand that for a long time bought wheated bourbon from Heaven Hill.  To me, Rebel 100 tastes a lot like the discontinued no age statement (at least 4 years) Old Fitzgerald Bonded.  No surprise.  I don't know when Luxco will eventually start bottling their own distilled product, or how it will affect this.

Larceny has more often than not been a disappointment to me.  It seemed inconsistent.  I finally gave up.

👍 Maker's Mark should not be overlooked because it's easy to find.  Try the regular version.  If you like it, you can move up to the higher proofs or fancy barrel staves.

If you could find Weller SR around $25 - yes.

 

 

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haven't tried all the mentioned pours, but i prefer even WSR to most makers varieties, and the few rebel yell and larceny bottles i have had. I have limited experience with other wheaters, but find the Wellers to be wonderful.

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@MM818 Larceny is a solid weekday sipper and special reserve has been a lot harder to find than I would have thought.  But a great buy when I can find it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/5/2021 at 4:46 AM, CardsandBourbon said:

Willett has a wheated bourbon that is 115 proof.  Don't know the availability in your area though.  Bernheim is a wheated whiskey, not bourbon.  The Old Fitzgerald is also wheated.  Of course the BIB versions are now all sky high in price but they do sell the 80 proof (at least in KY they do).  Rebel Yell is also wheated.  The 10 year 100 proof iterations are really good.  The regular 100 proof is OK.  Never tried the lowest proof version.

 

Just noticed this was my 1,800th post.  YEAH ME!

Thanks for the feedback. Added these to the batter up list.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Willett makes a wheated bourbon?    I did not know that!    😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am new to bourbon, as might be the OP.

I have tried many, and have a list of my 5 favorites.

Wellers SR and Eagle Rare, are 1 and 2. I don't know in what order, just both top on my list.

 

I have gone over 100 proof, many times, but I still prefer under 100.  Eventually that may change with experience.

Wellers was very hard to find around here.  In the last month or two, it is being stocked again about everywhere.

Eagle Rare is still very hard to find. I have 3 bottles, and if I see one, I get it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you get a chance try Woodford Reserve Straight Wheat. It is a four grain with 52% wheat.. Try is side by side with the WR Rye (52% Rye) and you get a real sense of the impact of these two grains as they relate to bourbon. I find the straight wheat very fruity.

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It would be interesting to taste the WR Wheat against Bernheim, which I'm still trying to really like on its own...blends nicely with MM, though.

 

I believe Wyoming Small Batch is a wheater, as well.

 

 

 

 

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, lemonman said:

 

 

I believe Wyoming Small Batch is a wheater, as well

 


You are correct sir. 👍

 

Biba! Joe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have tried to like Bernhiem Wheat Whiskey several times.  It's not bad, but it's just so bland, nothing really going on. 🥱

  • I like it 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tried the Old Elk Wheated (I believe it’s MGP) and liked it quite a bit. It’s still needs a couple more years in the barrel to be a real stand-out, but it’s certainly a cut above WSR IMO. Admittedly it’s a bit high-priced for what you get.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2021 at 10:46 PM, PaulO said:

I have tried to like Bernhiem Wheat Whiskey several times.  It's not bad, but it's just so bland, nothing really going on. 🥱

It's one of my summertime day sippers. Over a large cube of ice it gets a nice oiliness and a little honey butter sweetness to it. Simple and easy going down, but you are spot on...not a lot going on here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2021 at 2:41 PM, lemonman said:

It would be interesting to taste the WR Wheat against Bernheim, which I'm still trying to really like on its own...blends nicely with MM, though.

 

I believe Wyoming Small Batch is a wheater, as well.

 

 

 

 

Interesting. What are your ratios on a MM/Bernheim blend?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, BDanner said:

Interesting. What are your ratios on a MM/Bernheim blend?

 

 

I like 2:1 and 3:1 (MM/B), but prefer the 3:1 slightly; it improves the somewhat chemically/astringent finish, which is my biggest issue with basic MM, without shifting very far from the rest of the palate.

 

2:1 pulls farther away from MM and reminds me a lot of another blend I have and enjoy, MM/RY100, which is also 2:1. Both of these blends are drier and less sweet than MM, which may or may not be a good thing.  Smaller ratios than these made the MM really start to disappear, which wasn't what I wanted, but might be worth exploring if that sounds like what you'd prefer.

 

 

 

 

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, BDanner said:

It's one of my summertime day sippers. Over a large cube of ice it gets a nice oiliness and a little honey butter sweetness to it. Simple and easy going down, but you are spot on...not a lot going on here.

It's odd how palates differ.  I have only had one bottle of Bernheim's and I fought it hot with a bite.  It was one dimensional and hot was what I got.  

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One dimensional - yes.  The 7 year age statement couldn't even convince me otherwise, or going on sale.

Probably because there's not much flavor, you more tasted the ethanol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.