Poor Man's Russell's Reserve 13-year?

IamMatt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Not holding out much hope of scoring one of these, but Jason at Mash & Drum said it was like your favorite Russell's Reserve Single Barrel store pick and Rare Breed got together and had a baby.  Next day, my local happened to have a store pick of RR SiB so I picked one up and tried a 50/50 blend of those two.  Pretty darn good.  I'm gonna have to 3-way blind each one separately and the blend to see if it is really better.

• I like it 3

12 hours ago, IamMatt said:

Not holding out much hope of scoring one of these, but Jason at Mash & Drum said it was like your favorite Russell's Reserve Single Barrel store pick and Rare Breed got together and had a baby.  Next day, my local happened to have a store pick of RR SiB so I picked one up and tried a 50/50 blend of those two.  Pretty darn good.  I'm gonna have to 3-way blind each one separately and the blend to see if it is really better.

See, this is the sort of ingenuity I love!

I think the closest to a russells 13 BP would be a 10-11 year single barrel pick.

I have a micro-barrel with a 10 year WT barrel oak base that Ive added an 11 year russells pick in. Its going to rest for a minimum of 2-3 years before I consider bottling it. 

So, we just got a bottle of Russells 13 Year in and did a compare with the poor mans blend listed above.

While the blend is good, it is more bright and hot compared to the dark, oily, barrel forward flavor of the Russells 13 year.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.