Just Wanted to Say Thank You…

PhantomLamb
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was reading Fred Minnick’s: Bourbon The Rise, Fall, and Rebirth of an American Whiskey tonight and I found the following gem below.

I’m only 28, I’ve never been to the gazebo and feel I’ve arrived to the party far too late. I never knew that bourbon was a hipster or Millenium thing to do. I just knew starting in 2017 that I liked Knob Creek straight and that was about it. However, I was able to find this place to

guide me.

You guys have helped me learn far beyond my years and avoid much of the tater-ness, introduce me to stuff I would’ve never thought I’d like, and contributed to some awesome times along the way. Just wanted to take the opportunity to say thanks. I truly feel privileged to be part of this community!

As a side note, anyone coming thru the East Coast/Pittsburgh feel free to look me up. My stash is your stash. 

Btw, if there are any SB glencairns still left, please let me know.

Thanks,

6FBA397C-B2D8-4C03-A439-C9A945951012.jpeg

• I like it 17

Amen to that.

Where I live, in South central Indiana, we are about the last people to get anything new.  The up side is if and when something new shows up - I already know all about it.

People here are the best.

I will make it to the gazebo one day.

I started drinking Bourbon in the 1980s, but most of that time didn't know what I was doing.  Jim or Jack, pour a shot, boom, down the hatch. 

• I like it 4

Well Said!

What I like about this forum is that it is widely recognized that taste preference is a totally subjective thing and individuals' likes and dislikes are not disparaged. 

For the most part there is proper reverence paid to well made whiskies and quality producers regardless of likes and dislikes. At the end of the day, if you are open minded then there is a world of wonderful brown water waiting to be enjoyed. But, to the OP's point, it can be an expensive thing to experiment on so having the opinions of others that you respect helps in deciding what to try next. 

• I like it 4

Thanks for posting this Dylan. 👍 I agree with you wholeheartedly. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

Amen to that. This place is an absolute fountain of knowledge in all aspects, but is more importantly so accommodating, encouraging and enthusiastic to people new and old to the world of sipping fine spirits, which is rare in the current internetty world, frankly. Long may it continue.

• I like it 7

21 hours ago, PaulO said:

Amen to that.

Where I live, in South central Indiana, we are about the last people to get anything new.  The up side is if and when something new shows up - I already know all about it.

People here are the best.

I will make it to the gazebo one day.

I started drinking Bourbon in the 1980s, but most of that time didn't know what I was doing.  Jim or Jack, pour a shot, boom, down the hatch. 

You and me...on the same journey.  I too would love join in on the SB.com gazebo.  At this point in the my life, while my wife supports my interests, bourbon is more of an observation for her.  If I take time off, the expectation is we are doing what she enjoys which may or may not involve checking off items on the honey-do list.  I get it.  I don't want to go to the crochet club, not that she does.  Now, if the gazebo was at the beach.  Funny thing is we have relatives all over Kentucky and Tennessee.  

• I like it 2

@PhantomLamb No, thank you!  A community is no greater than all of its parts summed together.  Some have more experience than others but that doesn't make their experience better or worse.  It just makes it different.  I learn from you, you learn from me. Together we live in perfect harmony.  Thank you for your post because it reminds us how important this community is to those of us who enjoy it.

• I like it 4

Thanks for this! There's that saying "it takes a village" and while it sometimes gets perverted it applies here. All of us make our contributions and that's what makes this place worth being a part of and coming back to.

We appreciate both your contributions as well as your curiosity to learn and ask questions and your willingness to share your opinions and help others.

You are a part of what makes this place great.

• I like it 6

This is indeed the best sort of internet community - dedicated to the acquisition and transmission of knowledge,  in a spirit of collegiality.    

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.