Standard Knob Creek SIngle Barrel

HoustonNit
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sorry for starting a new thread but couldn’t find anything dedicated to Knob Creek SB 120 proof.

Honest question do they still make this other than occasional store picks?  I haven’t seen a bottle in probably six months.  Did it become allocated, are they saving stock for the 12 year and other expressions?  

This use to be my go to when I wanted a big dose of oak and brown sugar.  Use to be places everywhere would have it and several places would have store picks to choose from. Crazy times.

Just wondering if I missed a press release or something and it’s following a similar strategy as what happened to Booker’s.

I've been wondering the same because like you I haven't seen it anywhere for a long time now. I haven't even seen much in the way of store picks anywhere.

I don't recall any announcements being made but will check with my friend who works for them.

I just checked the Total Wine website and they say not expected until September. Not clear if that's a store pick or just the standard.

There was just a recent dump of 12yr so it could be that it and the 15yr are taking stocks away. Standard single barrel is a relative bargain compared to current bourbon pricing so it would not surprise me if they are funneling stock away from that and into the higher margin products they've recently created.

Heck I’m just talking about normal ones not store picks even.  I haven’t seen a regular KC 120 proof out there in probably six months and probably a year since I picked up a store pick.

This what your talking about? Picked this up 4 weeks ago in NH.

1E12227F-1AE6-4407-A36C-6A634711232A.thumb.jpeg.7bfa494a601343da6845d90a3fee918a.jpeg

• I like it 1

Besides some hole-in-the-wall shops that have a few of the old labels still hanging on (of which I've picked up a fare share), I've also noticed an absence from the shelves in my area. Probably for the last six months or so. I even asked an employee of a big shop I frequent what the deal was, and he said it was because of staffing shortages due to Covid on the bottling lines. No clue where he got that from, so do with it what you will.

1 hour ago, JakeySnakes said:

Besides some hole-in-the-wall shops that have a few of the old labels still hanging on (of which I've picked up a fare share), I've also noticed an absence from the shelves in my area. Probably for the last six months or so. I even asked an employee of a big shop I frequent what the deal was, and he said it was because of staffing shortages due to Covid on the bottling lines. No clue where he got that from, so do with it what you will.

Interesting, rumor.  I’ve seen plenty of the new label 100 proof small batch.  I suppose the single barrel does require more staffing for bottling but I don’t know.

2 hours ago, Kjbarth said:

This what your talking about? Picked this up 4 weeks ago in NH.

1E12227F-1AE6-4407-A36C-6A634711232A.thumb.jpeg.7bfa494a601343da6845d90a3fee918a.jpeg

Yes, am I crazy or wasn’t this a single barrel before?  Duh, confusing label, it says SB. 

yes but this I haven’t seen in 6 months.

I agree that it's been rare to see around here the last six months or so. Not sure if it's that limited all of a sudden, or those who get into the KC12 jumped on this when the 12YO dried up. Last summer/fall, Woodman's had cases of store picks stacked up for months, all long gone now.

I just got an email the other day from a local chain regarding store picks, of which they now have several choices but limited numbers of each; I bet they go fairly quickly.

Edited by lemonman

Confirmed with my friend at Beam Suntory - it’s a shortage of whiskey so these are now allocated. Sounds like all but the base Beam and Basil expressions are allocated now. 

As a test, I went to TW this afternoon to pick up some KC12 that just came in. The shelf was cleaned out of KC9 100 proof except for the 1 liter and 1.75 liter which both have inexplicably stupid pricing relative to the 750. No surprise they were sitting there. 

• I like it 1

I know I have seen standard KCSiB 120 on the shelf in a few stores recently because I contemplated buying a bottle.   However, these bottles may just be finding their way out to the stores through the distribution system.   

KC9 availability has always been hit or miss since the age statement returned.  It seems to follow the same pattern of being difficult to find and then it showing up everywhere and at discounted prices.  Two weeks ago, I saw it for $22.99 per 750 ml.   Last week, the shelves were cleared even at the stores selling it for $27.99-$29,99.  The one exception is a larger area chain that is flush with cases of KC9 @ $32.99.  Who knows that may prove to be a bargain down the road.  

I live in a high bourbon traffic area so it isn't odd to see what seems to be a random run on certain bottles.  For example, the Kroger where I shop (not the large chain described above) will sometimes have 12 bottles or more on the shelf and then the next day they are gone.  Sometimes the same thing with EC, BT, or FRSiB.  I have often wondered if one of the smaller restaurants nearby is buying it retail.  The volume is too much for just people picking up a bottle or two.

I still don't understand pricing of 1 liter bottles.  Regardless of brand, they are rarely a good value compared to 750 ml or 1.75 L.  

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Confirmed with my friend at Beam Suntory - it’s a shortage of whiskey so these are now allocated. Sounds like all but the base Beam and Basil expressions are allocated now. 

As a test, I went to TW this afternoon to pick up some KC12 that just came in. The shelf was cleaned out of KC9 100 proof except for the 1 liter and 1.75 liter which both have inexplicably stupid pricing relative to the 750. No surprise they were sitting there. 

Thanks for confirming and sharing!  This tells me if I run across KC9 at a relative reasonable price I might want to grab a bottle or two.  We might be heading into a period of limited availability.

2 hours ago, flahute said:

Both the 120 proof single barrel and 100 proof small batch are allocated.  I’m still seeing the regular 100 proof  Knob Creek just not the single barrel.

Crazy times we’re living in, thought I could at least count on stuff like Knob Creek no matter how crazy it got.

Binnys recently got a few barrels of 120 and had the regular 9 year age stated on sale for $25

Edited by TehRegion219
Proofreadingzfaulzmeh
  • I like it 1

My observation since it was introduced - the KCSB 120 regular version (not a named store pick) would go missing from store shelves for spans of time.  When it was on the shelf and on sale, it seemed like I'd get a couple, maybe would've bought a few more if they were there.  It was never an item I could just run out and pick up anytime.

• I like it 1

That Binnys drop of KCSB picks from this week - around 10 different barrels - were all less than 10 yrs. Too bad - they used to get 14-15 yrs. The older stuff is going to the new 12 & 15 100°. I picked up a regular 9 yr 100°, & its aheluva bottle for $30. Hard to justify $50 for a 9 yr 120°, tho if you think about it comparatively, its still a deal.

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

That Binnys drop of KCSB picks from this week - around 10 different barrels - were all less than 10 yrs. Too bad - they used to get 14-15 yrs. 

I think this is why I didn’t pick one up. I was expecting 12 years+ on those. For $25 9yo kc taste so much gooder 😂

1 minute ago, TehRegion219 said:

I think this is why I didn’t pick one up. I was expecting 12 years+ on those. For $25 9yo kc taste so much gooder 😂

You should not be expecting 12+ years on these anymore. Those days are gone. We all got spoiled by those - especially for the price. Beam wised up which is why KC12 and 15 now exist.

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

That Binnys drop of KCSB picks from this week - around 10 different barrels - were all less than 10 yrs. Too bad - they used to get 14-15 yrs. The older stuff is going to the new 12 & 15 100°. I picked up a regular 9 yr 100°, & its aheluva bottle for $30. Hard to justify $50 for a 9 yr 120°, tho if you think about it comparatively, its still a deal.

Good argument for the small batch 100 proof.  Your mindset though is from 5+ years ago.   These days if you can get a single barrel 9+ years, 120 proof and not from a mystery distiller seems like a fair deal in 2021. To think I’d be reminiscing about the good old days of 2018…

I have stumble on 4 different version in the past month and a half.

2 were store picks... One was a received barrel a couple month back. Other was a newly received. 2 different stores.

2 were standard SiB at 2 different stores; one of which was adopted for my KC Blend...

Sadly all four were only 9 year...

Edited by bayouredd

Well I found some……..in small town Ohio. Visiting my parents and the only liquor store in town is part of the supermarket. 
Picked up one for the home stash since my parents don’t drink but happily guard my stash for visits. 

Got home from an early dinner at a countryside restaurant we go to.  Ordered a "Manhattan on the rocks, and use the Bulliet Rye., please."  Tasted.  SOMEbody had added dry vermouth to a rye+red vermouth, and the proportions were off.  How off?  I almost NEVER send back a drink - having been a cook in a bar during grad school and my wife having been a waitress during the same time (and she got better grades - go figure.).  Sent it back.  Mixer came out to tell us she'd always made them with a shot of dry.  Anybody out there ever heard that?  I was nice and gave the mixer my recipe - 2 rye to 1 red V plus healthy Angostura and a barspoon of Maraschino juice with ice.  The replacement was drinkable.:(

SO!  Why is this post/diatribe/kvetch in this thread?  Because when I got home, I needed to cleanse my palate.  Pulled down a KC SiB 120 (with no identifying labels telling me where or when I bought it) and poured it into a small OF glass chuck full of ice.  After sucking it down, I logged on and HERE I AM!!

Thanks!  And, my palate is almost back to normal although my head is a little fuzzy.

SOME OBSERVATIONS - I now have little bits of black wax/plastic all over my utility room floor from opening the KC by pulling the tab that sticks out near the top.  Forgot that we all had discussed the best way to open these some months ago on another thread.  Plus, my pocket knife AND my wine cork knife were not close at hand, and pliers, which WERE right there, seemed like overkill.  At least the ice cubes were cold.:wacko:

OH!!  How it taste?  Like cold KC.:rolleyes:  Is one of my faves which is why I own some dozen or so variations of KC.

• I like it 2

30 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Got home from an early dinner at a countryside restaurant we go to.  Ordered a "Manhattan on the rocks, and use the Bulliet Rye., please."  Tasted.  SOMEbody had added dry vermouth to a rye+red vermouth, and the proportions were off.  How off?  I almost NEVER send back a drink - having been a cook in a bar during grad school and my wife having been a waitress during the same time (and she got better grades - go figure.).  Sent it back.  Mixer came out to tell us she'd always made them with a shot of dry.  Anybody out there ever heard that?  I was nice and gave the mixer my recipe - 2 rye to 1 red V plus healthy Angostura and a barspoon of Maraschino juice with ice.  The replacement was drinkable.:(

SO!  Why is this post/diatribe/kvetch in this thread?  Because when I got home, I needed to cleanse my palate.  Pulled down a KC SiB 120 (with no identifying labels telling me where or when I bought it) and poured it into a small OF glass chuck full of ice.  After sucking it down, I logged on and HERE I AM!!

Thanks!  And, my palate is almost back to normal although my head is a little fuzzy.

SOME OBSERVATIONS - I now have little bits of black wax/plastic all over my utility room floor from opening the KC by pulling the tab that sticks out near the top.  Forgot that we all had discussed the best way to open these some months ago on another thread.  Plus, my pocket knife AND my wine cork knife were not close at hand, and pliers, which WERE right there, seemed like overkill.  At least the ice cubes were cold.:wacko:

OH!!  How it taste?  Like cold KC.:rolleyes:  Is one of my faves which is why I own some dozen or so variations of KC.

Frankly I use 2oz rye + .75 oz of sweet and dry vermouth. To each their own and made respect for opening bottles normally  with a knife 😂.

Harry, your Manhattan recipe sounds exactly as it's supposed to be.

Save the dry Vermouth for classic Martini made with gin.

10 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Ordered a "Manhattan on the rocks, and use the Bulliet Rye., please."  Tasted.  SOMEbody had added dry vermouth to a rye+red vermouth, and the proportions were off.  How off?  I almost NEVER send back a drink - having been a cook in a bar during grad school and my wife having been a waitress during the same time (and she got better grades - go figure.).  Sent it back.  Mixer came out to tell us she'd always made them with a shot of dry.  Anybody out there ever heard that? 

A Manhattan with equal parts sweet and dry vermouth is actually a thing.  It's called a "Perfect Manhattan".  Your bartender should have known the difference. 

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, fosmith said:

A Manhattan with equal parts sweet and dry vermouth is actually a thing.  It's called a "Perfect Manhattan".  Your bartender should have known the difference. 

Glad I'm not "totally" insane :).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.