Upstate NY trip....

WhiskeyProposition
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Heading up to NY tomorrow (south of Watkins Glen a ways). I'm hoping to score some bottles that are a bit hard to find, or have been greatly inflated, here in Texas. Here's hoping. Might grab some NY whiskeys as well.....Mckenzie's or Saint Lawrence, maybe? No clue what's available up there. 

Wide open to suggestions/ideas, if anyone has any to offer.... 

I will second Taconic if you're near. Nice tasting room, awesome farmland setting in the hudson valley, good bourbon. Hillrock Distillery in Ancram is also well worth a visit. If you stay closer to CNY and the Finger Lakes region, McKenzie is a good visit. Not in tune with the bourbon landscape in Texas, so can't advise further on what else to look out for bottle wise.

@Kjbarth & @JakeySnakes Thank you both. Mckenzie's is definitely doable, but I won't be able to venture much further. Hoping to find some decent selections in stores. Thank you for the trail link! Too bad there wasn't something like that for stores. 

As a Texas resident with family in that general area a few things I noticed.  Much less BT products particularly Weller products.  That being said not a big difference in pricing.  I did also however seem to find more of everything else in upstate/western NY.  I haven’t been since 2019 but found some great store picks RR, Four Roses, OF, etc.  More of stuff like RY10YR SB, ECBP. Found PHC the barrel finished curaçao in 2019 for retail.  Wish I didn’t as the place had some old Four Roses picks which I should’ve bought which I’m sure is now long gone. 

McKenzie's makes great wheated bourbon  and rye,  one of the superstars of craft,  IMO.   Another good one is Black Dirt Bourbon,   which is at least 3 years old and maybe 4 by now.    I try my fair share of craft whiskeys,  but it's the rare one where I'll go back for a second or third bottle.   Those are the two NY distillers I keep going back to.  

Thank you all for the responses!

Attached is the total haul for the week. 

NY definitely has a lot that I don't see around the Dallas area, so it was a fun week of hunting. 

IMG_20210719_181524105_HDR.jpg

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.