What ones would you pick for a old fashioned

The camaro show
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1.75 OZ. POUR
1792 SMALL BATCH - 8
1792 SINGLE BARREL - 10 ANGEL'S ENVY - 10
BAKER'S - 9
BASIL HAYDEN'S - 8
BLACK RIDGE - 12
BLADE AND BOW - 12 BLANTON'S - 18
BOOKER'S - 10
BUFFALO TRACE - 10
BULLEIT - 8
BULLEIT RYE – 8
BULLEIT 10 YEAR BOURBON - 12 CALUMET 12 YR - 10
CLYDE MAY'S - 10
EAGLE RARE - 10
ELIJAH CRAIG 12 YR. BARREL PROOF - 10 FOUR ROSES SINGLE BARREL - 10 FOUR ROSES SMALL BATCH - 8 HARRISON GOVERNOR'S RESERVE - 9 HEAVEN HILL BOTTLED IN BOND - 15 HIRSCH SMALL BATCH – 9 JEFFERSON'S OCEAN AGED AT SEA - 15 KNOB CREEK - 8
KNOB CREEK RYE - 8
KNOB CREEK SINGLE BARREL – 12 LARCENY - 8
MAKER'S MARK - 8
MAKER'S MARK 46 – 10 MICHTER’S SMALL BATCH - 12 OLD FORESTER RYE 100 - 10
OLD FORESTER SIGNATURE 100 - 10 OLD FORESTER STATESMAN - 12 REDEMPTION BOURBON - 10 REDEMPTION RYE - 10 RESERVOIR - 12 RITTENHOUSE RYE - 10 STRAIGHT EDGE - 15 STRANAHAN'S DIAMOND PEAK - 14
TWELVE 33 BIG SIX – 7
(LITTLE RIVER, SC)
TWELVE 33 RESTITUTION RYE – 7
(LITTLE RIVER, SC)
WHISTLE PIG 10YR RYE - 15 WHISTLE PIG 12YR RYE - 30
WILD TURKEY 101 - 8
WILLETT- 10
WHIPSAW RYE - 15 WOODFORD RESERVE BOURBON - 10 WOODFORD RESERVE DOUBLE OAKED – 12 WOODFORD RESERVE MALT WHISKEY - 10 WOODFORD RESERVE RYE - 10

Edited by The camaro show

• The camaro show changed the title to What ones would you pick for a old fashioned

The ECBP may be the best of the list for $10.

OF 100, WT 101, and KC all very good straight up or Old Fashioned Cocktail.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Blanton’s,

because you’ll never do it with your own bottle at home.

😂😂😂😂

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anything around 100 proof. Holds up to the ice. My fav in that range is FR Sm Batch Select. Less pricy WT101

For me, I'd look for a flavor profile that comes together well with the added sweetness from the sugar. The spicier profile of a Four Roses or drier profile of an Elijah Craig BP would both fit the bill. I'd also agree that you want a high enough proof point to stand up to the dilution. I'd say at least 90 proof and preferably 100/101. Barrel proof whiskeys can make great cocktails, but in an Old Fashioned they are less necessary because the whiskey isn't trying to cut through that much other stuff. In a Manhattan, on the other hand, the whiskey can really use that extra oomph to cut through the vermouth, especially strong flavored vermouths like my personal favorite Carpano Antica.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.