Blue Run

MJWP
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi . I wanted to know if anyone has tried any of the Blue Run offerings? either the 13.5 or 14 yr. If so what did you think ? I know its pricey but was curious as to opinions . 

I can't believe nobody has tried this yet ? Just received my bottle of 14 yr . I know they are coming out with a rye as well.  Well ... better crack this a see. :) 

So  I did finally crack this . Nice nose , vanilla for sure , its bold but smooth . Thick caramel mouthfeel , sweet.  My palate is not very sophisticated .  I know this is a sourced bourbon , not sure the exact source , but I really enjoy it. Lets see how it opens up with more time . If anyone does get to try it I would be curious as to what you think . I know having said that its hard to find I have heard. 

• I like it 3

Glad you enjoyed it! Blue Run is too spendy for me to buy another undisclosed sourced NDP whiskey. And the PR hype on their website doesn't help. Like a lot of the recent sourced bourbon with Jim Rutledge's name attached to it the speculation is that it comes from Barton. Barton is perfectly fine but I don't need to spend an extra $50-$100 for the fancy bottle, the Rutledge name and the insipid hype. 

And I doubt their fancy bottle is even their creation as they claim. Equiano rum anyone? It has been available since at least the fall of 2019.

But that's just me! YMMV 😉

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Glad you enjoyed it! Blue Run is too spendy for me to buy another undisclosed sourced NDP whiskey. And the PR hype on their website doesn't help. Like a lot of the recent sourced bourbon with Jim Rutledge's name attached to it the speculation is that it comes from Barton. Barton is perfectly fine but I don't need to spend an extra $50-$100 for the fancy bottle, the Rutledge name and the insipid hype. 

And I doubt their fancy bottle is even their creation as they claim. Equiano rum anyone? It has been available since at least the fall of 2019.

But that's just me! YMMV 😉

I'd rather have the Equiano Rum. Ian Burrell is a nice fellow

On 8/18/2021 at 5:27 PM, Marekv8 said:

I'd rather have the Equiano Rum. Ian Burrell is a nice fellow

I gather you are not a fan of MGP juice ?Is the rum reference because the bottle is the same ?  I don't really know the store of the Blue Run brand ...but bourbon is very good IMHO . 

Alkemist Gin did a nice job with it… especially with the badass closure. 

IMG_6553.thumb.jpg.9f185dd32e1333c98ab3a45f65ff2fac.jpg

• I like it 1

52 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Alkemist Gin did a nice job with it… especially with the badass closure. 

IMG_6553.thumb.jpg.9f185dd32e1333c98ab3a45f65ff2fac.jpg

Doesn't look near as nice as the Blue Run bottle and I bet what's inside isn't as tasty either ;) But I'm not a rum guy.  :) 

7 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Alkemist Gin did a nice job with it… especially with the badass closure. ...

I've seen a ton of similar bottles lately.  All ilk and types.  I like the heavy bottom if it doesn't cost me much.  Here's the one I handle most last couple months.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jyBXBCrvUdE/Xct2c2tWh1I/AAAAAAABYE4/WwnESMw5Z-wrpICPu1ME208bnRbVcP4JwCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/laird%2B10th%2Bgen.jpg

9 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

I've seen a ton of similar bottles lately.  All ilk and types.  I like the heavy bottom if it doesn't cost me much.  Here's the one I handle most last couple months.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jyBXBCrvUdE/Xct2c2tWh1I/AAAAAAABYE4/WwnESMw5Z-wrpICPu1ME208bnRbVcP4JwCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/laird%2B10th%2Bgen.jpg

Agree . Lots of similar bottles. I , like you , really like the heavy bottom glass too. Seeing it more and more lately. 

Have tried a few samples of different ages and barrels. None have been offensive, but none have blown me away either. Like another poster said, just can't pay that much for Barton's whiskey plus a lot of marketing and hype. 

On 8/21/2021 at 6:43 PM, kawboyz11 said:

Have tried a few samples of different ages and barrels. None have been offensive, but none have blown me away either. Like another poster said, just can't pay that much for Barton's whiskey plus a lot of marketing and hype. 

Fair enough . Everyones palates are different for sure . As far as hype and marketing goes ......that's all over the bourbon universe .... I can think of many that get posted on here often.  I guess whatever one enjoys and its worth what someone will pay I suppose.  Cheers ! 

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, MJWP said:

Fair enough . Everyones palates are different for sure . As far as hype and marketing goes ......that's all over the bourbon universe .... I can think of many that get posted on here often.  I guess whatever one enjoys and its worth what someone will pay I suppose.  Cheers ! 

That's the joy of bourbon, something for all different palates. I should clarify, I think their products are solid and the barrel strength offering (13.5 yr single barrel) was good. However, for me, when the high price tag is factored in then my opinion of it diminishes. I agree, too much hype in bourbon these days. But the marketing hype from the company was quite off putting for many I know. 

• I like it 1

Edited by smokinjoe
Dumbass moment for me
  • I like it 2

6 hours ago, flahute said:

What happened here? 😀

He had a "dumbass moment" like I have ll the time.  Must be the new edit function that doesn't allow us to easily delete a whole message.  I like the "." and I'm using going forward (if that's ok, Joe).   😉

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

I've been seeing Blue Run's "Golden" Rye whiskey begin to drop here in Southern CA.  Looks like it's been going for $99.99 out here.  Seems like a high point of entry to me, but in a moment of weakness I may bite.  One store had it and sold out relatively quickly so maybe, my decision is made easier if there is  no more to purchase! 

• I like it 1

On 10/6/2021 at 7:24 PM, apt43bear said:

I've been seeing Blue Run's "Golden" Rye whiskey begin to drop here in Southern CA.  Looks like it's been going for $99.99 out here.  Seems like a high point of entry to me, but in a moment of weakness I may bite.  One store had it and sold out relatively quickly so maybe, my decision is made easier if there is  no more to purchase! 

I have a bottle coming to me. I really like the 14 yr bourbon and I hear the rye is excellent so we shall see. 

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, MJWP said:

I have a bottle coming to me. I really like the 14 yr bourbon and I hear the rye is excellent so we shall see. 

My moment of weakness arrived and ended up placing an order.  I haven't picked up the bottle yet, but hope to soon as the weather continues to cool and can plop down on the couch, watch football, and sip some rye.

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2021 at 5:20 PM, apt43bear said:

My moment of weakness arrived and ended up placing an order.  I haven't picked up the bottle yet, but hope to soon as the weather continues to cool and can plop down on the couch, watch football, and sip some rye.

Let us know how you like it. 

On 10/20/2021 at 3:03 PM, MJWP said:

Let us know how you like it. 

Did a little blind between the Blue Run Rye, EH Taylor Rye, and Pikesville Rye. Was able to get them mostly because of the Pikesville proof stood out (in a good way) and Blue Run seemed have a better finish and mouthfeel than the EH Taylor. I didn’t want to like it but I really did enjoy the Blue Run but when I can get the Pikesville at a fraction, I’m going Pikesville but the Blue Run was tasty and enjoyed it a lot more than the EH Taylor Rye. 

PS. Sorry for duplicate post as also posted in the rye board but thought I’d share the reply in the Blue Run thread too

AC8EF711-35AE-420A-A94C-FC56CE3EF47E.jpeg

Edited by apt43bear
  • I like it 7

^^^^^^
That Pikesville is my best readily available bang for the buck rye in the land.💥

I’ve really been digging on the WTRB of late.  Just a fantastic addition to the WT repertoire.👏

• I like it 4

I came across the Blue Run Rye yesterday in a glass case with other allocated whiskey and it was marked “not for sale”. Then why put it in the case? It was the only bottle marked NFS. 

20 hours ago, DeepCover said:

I came across the Blue Run Rye yesterday in a glass case with other allocated whiskey and it was marked “not for sale”. Then why put it in the case? It was the only bottle marked NFS. 

Yeah that's really bizarre and I don't get it.  Unless they're running a museum, why would they have an item not for sale in a store.  Strange haha.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.