Jump to content

Jack & Coke Fancy-pants


WhiskeyBlender

Recommended Posts

WhiskeyBlender

As I've posted on here many times before, I'm an East Tennessee native, although I currently live in Berkeley, CA. I've been home for a few days in between trips during my busiest time of the year with whiskey blending, so I'm having one of my old favs, JD and Mexican Coke, which I grew up with in the '70's. I'm having a "modern" take on it with a twist of lime. The JD is from a batch from 1985 I acquired several years ago. 

 

Tomorrow morning I'm headed out again for my 8th season at Wyoming Whiskey, so it should be a fun work week ahead. 

 

Sláinte All, and hope everyone is enjoying a great Saturday summer evening with a special pour!

 

Nancy

IMG_7414.jpg

  • I like it 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe

Your posts never cease to amaze. 😎
 

I hope you have a decent week in Kirby. Maybe if you can find some time for yourself, you can check out that place in Greybull I told you about. 😉

 

Biba! Joe

Link to post
Share on other sites
PhantomLamb

Awesome Nancy!  Thanks for bringing so much goodness to the forum, safe travels!

Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2

Has anybody ever done a SBS of Mexican coke, supposedly made with cane sugar, and garden variety local coke? I have (both from a glass bottle of course to reduce confounders!) and I apparently don't have a sophisticated enough palate to tell the difference. I know all the diet sources say high fructose corn syrup is bad for you because it has to be converted to glucose by the liver and if you drink a lot of soda (I don't particularly) it introduces a higher than normal load of fructose into the body (table sugar is about half and half glucose and fructose). But I just don't buy Mexican coke anymore because it is harder to find and more expensive and as I said I don't drink much soda anyway!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Has anybody ever done a SBS of Mexican coke, supposedly made with cane sugar, and garden variety local coke? I have (both from a glass bottle of course to reduce confounders!) and I apparently don't have a sophisticated enough palate to tell the difference. I know all the diet sources say high fructose corn syrup is bad for you because it has to be converted to glucose by the liver and if you drink a lot of soda (I don't particularly) it introduces a higher than normal load of fructose into the body (table sugar is about half and half glucose and fructose). But I just don't buy Mexican coke anymore because it is harder to find and more expensive and as I said I don't drink much soda anyway!

I have too.  I can discern a difference.  But I'm also a Coke snob.  It is, without a doubt, my favorite beverage on the planet.  More than whiskey, wine, and sweet tea.  For that same reason, I drink very little of it because I can go down a rabbit hole.  

 

The only version I find to be better than Mexican coke is from the fountain in a corporate owned McDonalds.  It's well documented the extensive process that McDonalds goes through to optimize the taste of Coca-Cola.  I say corporate owned because I dumbass franchise owner can screw things up.  And franchises outnumber corporate owned by about 11 to 1. 

 

If you want the best Diet Coke on the planet, I have a place for that too.  ;) Some might say that I'm a bit anal but I really just know what I like and don't have a shortage of opinions. 

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can taste a slight difference between Mexican Coke and regular (high fructose corn syrup) Coke.  The corn syrup version is just plain sweet.  The sucrose (Mexican) version is a little less sweet, and has a mildly fruity flavor lacking in the other.  The difference is quite subtle.

A while back, Pepsi came out with "throwback" versions of Pepsi and Mountain Dew sweetened with sucrose, not corn syrup.  The difference between those products and the regular versions was dramatic.

 

When I was growing up, the soda pop was rationed.  We would get a 16 oz. returnable glass bottle.  My brother, sister, and I had to share.  The person who poured got to choose their glass last, so three very equal servings. 

I was sort of startled one day.  My grandmother took me over to my cousin's.  When we got there, he was sitting on the couch drinking a 16 oz. bottle of Pepsi directly out of the bottle. 😮

Nowadays the only time I drink soda pop is at parties with no adult beverages, like children's birthday parties.  I will not touch diet pop.  I think it's awful, much prefer tap water.

Edited by PaulO
  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
lemonman

I taste a significant difference in the colas, too. I remember tasting Mexican Coke many years ago and immediately thinking, it takes like Coke from when I was a kid! I don't drink much pop these days, but will grab one of these occasionally.

 

I find it interesting that my adult nieces and nephews prefer the modern version; I guess it's whichever flavor was imprinted on you in your youth.

 

 

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
dad-proof

I can definitely taste the difference between Mexican and standard Coke, but there is a little known hack - the yellow capped kosher Coca-Cola sold during Passover. Made to the original formula with sucrose.  Typically priced the same as regular Coke. The shopping center near me has both a Publix and Kroger with large kosher sections. Like others, I don't drink it much anymore, but I will always get at least one of the yellow cap Cokes each year. 

  • I like it 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2

I guess I need to do my SBDS again! Others seem to find a discernable difference...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I guess I need to do my SBDS again! Others seem to find a discernable difference...

 

I'll have that laid out for you next time you come over.  ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2
5 hours ago, BigRich said:

I'll have that laid out for you next time you come over.  ;)

Perfect! Guidance from the Coca cola master!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2021 at 10:11 AM, BigRich said:

I have too.  I can discern a difference.  But I'm also a Coke snob.  It is, without a doubt, my favorite beverage on the planet.  More than whiskey, wine, and sweet tea.  For that same reason, I drink very little of it because I can go down a rabbit hole.  

 

The only version I find to be better than Mexican coke is from the fountain in a corporate owned McDonalds.  It's well documented the extensive process that McDonalds goes through to optimize the taste of Coca-Cola.  I say corporate owned because I dumbass franchise owner can screw things up.  And franchises outnumber corporate owned by about 11 to 1. 

 

If you want the best Diet Coke on the planet, I have a place for that too.  ;) Some might say that I'm a bit anal but I really just know what I like and don't have a shortage of opinions. 

I am not much of a soda drinker. It's not that I don't like it, I think it is better for me in moderation. Definitely not a fan of Coke. And absolutely not a fan of any diet soda.  I just don't like the taste. That being said, my work wife swears that the Diet Coke from the local McDonald's is life changing...blah,blah blah. I tried one of hers a couple months ago and have to admit it is pretty dang good.  I also have to admit that I am ashamed to admit that.

 

Prost!!  Phil 

  • I like it 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe

Saluting our Tri-Cities girl on a hazy, lazy, afternoon here down South with what I am going to start calling the “Fancy Nancy”.  😋

B8EFE6C0-D572-43BD-B450-399E8BA67154.jpeg

  • I like it 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2021 at 7:11 AM, BigRich said:

But I'm also a Coke snob.  It is, without a doubt, my favorite beverage on the planet. 

I think it’s awesome that the Georgia contingent has such deep opinions on Coca Cola. It shows the legacy of the brand and, likely, the roots of the corporation. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.