Jump to content

What bourbon did you purchase today (Fall 2021)


CreepFactor10
 Share

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, TwoFingers said:

I haven't posted much in quite a while due to some recent setbacks but I just got back from a short trip through Pittsburgh and NY state.  I picked up a couple things, nothing earth shattering.  I stopped and had a tasting at Finger Lakes Distilling and was pretty impressed with their products.  I only ended up buying their sampler but I really did like each one of these, especially the bourbon.  The rye was a little sweeter that most I've had, then I realized that they do a sherry cask finish on that product.  They were out of their BIB which I would like to have tasted.

 

I pick up the Barton bourbon ball cream at a state store in Pittsburgh.  I thought that was only available at the distillery and was happy to pick up a bottle since I didn't buy one when I was last in KY.

 

IMG_20211003_082829284.jpg

Went to the same distillery and had a sample of the SB pot still whiskey and Mrs Bret Bret had a vodka/berry cocktail.  Liked them enough to ask the waiter for a bottle of the SB and a BIB and bottles for the cocktail.  Time to check out and there was a $28 tip on the electronic tab (they included the bought bottles) and no way to get it below 15%.  I tip large, given the current economy, but that was harsh. Btw, both whiskies are tasty. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, TwoFingers said:

I haven't posted much in quite a while due to some recent setbacks but I just got back from a short trip through Pittsburgh and NY state.  I picked up a couple things, nothing earth shattering.  I stopped and had a tasting at Finger Lakes Distilling and was pretty impressed with their products.  I only ended up buying their sampler but I really did like each one of these, especially the bourbon.  The rye was a little sweeter that most I've had, then I realized that they do a sherry cask finish on that product.  They were out of their BIB which I would like to have tasted.

 

I pick up the Barton bourbon ball cream at a state store in Pittsburgh.  I thought that was only available at the distillery and was happy to pick up a bottle since I didn't buy one when I was last in KY.

 

IMG_20211003_082829284.jpg

Give a shout next time if you are staying for a while and we can get together for a pour.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bret Bret said:

Went to the same distillery and had a sample of the SB pot still whiskey and Mrs Bret Bret had a vodka/berry cocktail.  Liked them enough to ask the waiter for a bottle of the SB and a BIB and bottles for the cocktail.  Time to check out and there was a $28 tip on the electronic tab (they included the bought bottles) and no way to get it below 15%.  I tip large, given the current economy, but that was harsh. Btw, both whiskies are tasty. 

 

Our server gave me an extra taste of the SB pot still which, again, I thought was good.  I had heard that the McKenzie line was good but it was definitely better than I expected.  I will be looking for their products in the future.

 

That certainly was a heathy "tip."  They must have fixed that before we arrived.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PhantomLamb said:

Give a shout next time if you are staying for a while and we can get together for a pour.

It was a quick pass through but I would love to do that in the future. 🥃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, BigRich said:

I have.  I cook a lot and I'm generally a from scratch cooker.   But bourbon cream for me is like cinnamon rolls.  I can make cinnamon rolls.  I can make them really well.  But most of the time I prefer to just get them at the bakery or buy them premade from the freezer. 

 

Now if you want to get really technical about it, liqueurs do not have the same labeling requirements as non alcoholic food and beverages.  Included in premade cream liqueurs are stabilizers that keep the product from separating and add additional viscosity that I personally enjoy in the mouthfeel of the product.  That, I can't recreate at home without hitting the chemistry supply store.  So I actually prefer the premade to homemade in this instance.  Except for the Ezra Brooks.  Again, that shit is too nasty for even Folgers. 

 

But I regularly make Scottish Cream for neighbors as holiday gifts. 

Back when people had Christmas parties, I brought a bottle of the EW Egg Nog, put it on ice.  It was a big hit.  Next time maybe I'll bring two.

  • I like it 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, markandrex said:

Stocking the bar.  I just don’t see this often.

 

11F51185-DFDA-4E5D-A4FE-F91003C11BAD.jpeg

For the price it can't be beat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, markandrex said:

Stocking the bar.  I just don’t see this often.

 

11F51185-DFDA-4E5D-A4FE-F91003C11BAD.jpeg

 

The big jug is now a limited allocated item here in Virginia, along with peach Crown Royal.  If you'd have asked me 10 years ago ....  jeez

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wish I could find AAA here in northern Illinois. It’s been quite a while since I’ve had it. 
 

Biba! Joe

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I wish I could find AAA here in northern Illinois. It’s been quite a while since I’ve had it. 
 

Biba! Joe

I've never seen it here in the Bay Area and would love to try it.  Even regular 80 proof AA is a rarity.  I pick it up whenever I see it, though, as it's a great freezer bourbon. 

  • I like it 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You guys just reminded me that I should open AAA10 star (90p) and the AA90p I got in KY and see if they are similar or different.

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, 0895 said:

You guys just reminded me that I should open AAA10 star (90p) and the AA90p I got in KY and see if they are similar or different.

that's worthy taste test.  please post results

  • I like it 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went to get my COVID Moderna booster (3rd shot) today and had to reward myself with a little shopping post shot. Went to 2 LS near where the county is administering the shots. 
12B641E3-307E-45C9-B9F3-209C9C5DD723.thumb.jpeg.cb8b222d16dbf38577905c8cb116d93c.jpeg

  • I like it 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kjbarth said:

Went to get my COVID Moderna booster (3rd shot) today and had to reward myself with a little shopping post shot. Went to 2 LS near where the county is administering the shots. 

I just opened a bottle of the Dickel 9yr which was delivered yesterday.  It was on sale at K&L for $33  First time trying it and thought it's really good - nicely balanced and full of flavor.  Not as good as the 15yr which is awesome. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After seeing you folks talking about what you liked, I went out and bought Early Times (love it), Dickel 12 (Hidden gem), AAA Ten Star (perfect freezer bourbon) - I just hope you don't start liking Lamborghinis...

  • I like it 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Picked up a Maker's Mark 46 Cask Strength while out running errands after work.  I have not tried this particular expression yet, but I have high hopes for it.

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Couldn’t resist the new (to our market) 4R airplane bottles.

 

Also grabbed a handle of WSR, because I definitely need more bottles.

The hazmat placards for the house should be showing up any day now 🙄

437236AE-9F4D-41E1-8CA8-D738FD16FE95.jpeg

486552A4-60E3-43AC-9C9D-2C548018A0CD.jpeg

  • I like it 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, PaulO said:

I think everything should be available in 50ml.

Nope.  Because if crappy whiskey was available in 50ml, no one would every buy the full bottle of Uncle Chester's Shitacular Less than Straight Craft But Really Rebottled Rejects from Real Distilleries Bourbon.  Gotta move the product man. 

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Uncle Chester’s shitacular not quite straight, but not too fruity murican mixed whiskey product with extra food coloring makes for a great mixer and freezer room-taker-upper. 
No reason to bash the little guys, Rich 🙄

 

 

😆😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, 0895 said:

Couldn’t resist the new (to our market) 4R airplane bottles.

 

 

I've seen the FR SB in mini but never the small batch and certainly not the select.  More power to the mini!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, TwoFingers said:

I've seen the FR SB in mini but never the small batch and certainly not the select.  More power to the mini!


I believe they were just released by 4R recently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After not being able to find some for the longest time, i have now gotten into the habit of picking up green whenever i see it.

 

Knob Creek is not normally in my rotation, despite one of the best bottles i have ever had being a store single barrel pick a few years ago, but this price jumped out at me today and so it came home as well.153E4F11-7FC7-49B4-9F9C-32C99856876C.thumb.jpeg.a29d9fdebb568604408d24a5c4408196.jpeg

D76B2AD3-DDDA-40D6-BEDC-51267ACD9369.jpeg

  • I like it 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.