Top 3 Craft Bourbon Producers

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 11/2/2021 at 3:42 PM, flahute said:

As mentioned above there are two primary ways to determine "craft" and it depends on the organization providing the definition.

However, there is a very easy way to find out who is and is not craft in Kentucky - The Kentucky Distiller's Association. In addition to the Kentucky Bourbon Trail (which is the "big leagues") there is a Kentucky Bourbon Trail Craft Tour.

Here are the links showing you who is who.

Kentucky Bourbon Trail

Kentucky Bourbon Trail Craft Tour

And Jazz June is correct - Willett is on the craft tour.

well according to this New Riff is still considered craft.

I will be there next week doing a private barrel selection.

• I like it 2

22 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I do like the Kings County 7 year, it’s a funny, woody pour with lots of character. I picked up their Empire Rye which is far less successful and may feature in my next big drain pour event. 

Will the drain pour event get its own thread? What bourbon did you drain pour summer 2022?

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, Jazz June said:

Will the drain pour event get its own thread? What bourbon did you drain pour summer 2022?

They should combine the craft and the drain pour threads together IMO 😁🤣.

• I like it 2

17 hours ago, Jazz June said:

11 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

They should combine the craft and the drain pour threads together IMO 😁🤣.

image.jpeg.da9b25e92365f7e9ddc7f340cb2825aa.jpeg

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

On 10/21/2021 at 6:23 PM, Jazz June said:

I consider Willett craft, so I’d add them. Also:

New Riff

Wilderness Trail 

Starlight

Good choices.  I have an open bottle of Huber's from Starlight and consider it quite worthy.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of solid options here, but a couple that I didn't see mentioned.  Maybe not in an overall best 3 but worthy of consideration: 

Driftless Glen

Spirits of French Lick

Anyone tried Hwy55 out of Indiana? Got very good reviews on Breaking Bourbon. Cant tell if its MGP or their own distillate

5 hours ago, bourbon-n00b said:

Lots of solid options here, but a couple that I didn't see mentioned.  Maybe not in an overall best 3 but worthy of consideration: 

Driftless Glen

Spirits of French Lick

I've been curious about Spirits of French Lick. Is it available here, or did you get it in IN?

My experience with Spirits of French Lick whiskies has been very underwhelming.  Raw and young.  

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

I've been curious about Spirits of French Lick. Is it available here, or did you get it in IN?

I see it in a variety of Indiana retailers...grocery and liquor stores.  Typically, the four grain and rye bottles.

2 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Anyone tried Hwy55 out of Indiana? Got very good reviews on Breaking Bourbon. Cant tell if its MGP or their own distillate

I have not tried any of their products but I have some friends, whose palates I trust who have and who like them.  I see their products in both grocery and liquor stores in Indiana but they are pricey.

• I like it 1

For me, New Riff leads the craft pack by a country mile, with Wilderness Trail kickin' in the nitro and catching up.  The pint of Chattanooga I had was a pleasant surprise, er, "relief" that I actually didn't have another drain dump in hand, will have to grab another one some day.  Can't say for sure that I've had any of the current Willett except for the first/early release of Old Bardstown BiB some years ago - brought a fresh OB BiB back with me on the NC road trip last month, so will revisit.  Several others fall in the "meh" category, led by AR's own Rock Town BiB which seems to be getting fractionally better as the years roll by.  

Can't get myself to consider Bardstown Bourbon as a craft bourbon due to their rapidly increasing size and the fact they're still blending their "affordable" bourbons (Fusion series) with non-BB stocks, but I likey Fusion #5 and REALLY LIKEY #6.

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, PowderKeg said:

Can't get myself to consider Bardstown Bourbon as a craft bourbon due to their rapidly increasing size and the fact they're still blending their "affordable" bourbons (Fusion series) with non-BB stocks, but I likey Fusion #5 and REALLY LIKEY #6.

No need to sweat it as BBC is not considered craft. Wilderness has also graduated and is no longer craft.

• I like it 1

I have to disagree, fellas.  While, I may agree with the idea that the growing capacity of a “craft” may take them from a small producer to a larger one, their growth in capacity does not equate to growth in quality at the same time.  

Adding on, if a craft makes subpar whiskey in small quantities, it does not mean they will make good whiskey just because they can make it in larger quantities.  

Repeating my opinion I’ve expressed many times, until crafts can simply make a bourbon that is comparable to an Evan Williams Black Label, it’s not even worth thinking about.  BBC is NOWHERE near this.

Edited by smokinjoe
Add on.
  • I like it 3

22 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I have to disagree, fellas.  While, I may agree with the idea that the growing capacity of a “craft” may take them from a small producer to a larger one, their growth in capacity does not equate to growth in quality at the same time.  

Adding on, if a craft makes subpar whiskey in small quantities, it does not mean they will make good whiskey just because they can make it in larger quantities.  

Repeating my opinion I’ve expressed many times, until crafts can simply make a bourbon that is comparable to an Evan Williams Black Label, it’s not even worth thinking about.  BBC is NOWHERE near this.

A man after my own heart. When does the “graduating” happen necessarily?

IMO, Willett had never been craft. Not sure if Lux Row is either. That’s about as small as I’ll go.

• I like it 1

On 7/24/2022 at 3:43 PM, PhantomLamb said:

When does the “graduating” happen necessarily?

Depends on whose definition you use. I'm going with the KDA designations. WT and New Riff are on the regular Bourbon Trail. Willett is on the Craft Bourbon Trail.

On 7/17/2022 at 9:40 PM, mbroo5880i said:

I have not tried any of their products but I have some friends, whose palates I trust who have and who like them.  I see their products in both grocery and liquor stores in Indiana but they are pricey.

Old 55 is I believe who you are referring to.   It is their own distillate.   I think its quite good.

It is unfortunate that so many craft producers put out so much under-aged, small- barreled stuff that have tainted the reputation of the genre , even that of those producers with the means and the motivation to be patient.  

Today, the truly good stuff is out there,  and I appreciate threads like this that help folks like me avoid mistakes.  

• 3 weeks later...

I dunno that they qualify yet. I do think they may have some 4 year old offerings.

Tighes distilling out of north Denver CO had some nice bourbon and rye when I went in to their spot a few months ago.

I was pleasantly surprised as all the other craft distillers in the area that I've tried have been more like crap distillers.

Some of these places don't even tell you the age of their juices.

They'd rather offer useless tasting notes like this tastes of maple leafs and smoke and moose booty..

On 10/22/2021 at 7:21 PM, mbroo5880i said:

I would be all in on paying up a little to try an older expression.  I have never had Apple Jack but it sounds interesting.

Lairds (nations oldest distillery, out of Scobeyville NJ) produces applejack but I would recommend to you their 7 + 1/2  year apple brandy.

4 hours ago, Dannabis said:

. . . They'd rather offer useless tasting notes like this tastes of maple leafs and smoke and moose booty..

LOL!  🤣

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.