"What are some lesser known small batch KY bourbons?

IamMatt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This popped up on my NextDoor feed this morning, so I thought I would throw it out there; I will happily pass on any suggestions to her.

"My boyfriend is working in Kentucky for the next year and I'm visiting fairly often. Looking for suggestions for some lesser known small batch bourbons I can pick up while I'm out here."

The term "small batch" doesn't have a legal definition.  Companies put that on a label because it sounds nice, and they don't have to do anything extra to justify.  So I wouldn't restrict my hunting to brands only with small batch on the label.

I guess the simple question then is what to pick up in KY.

Then we get into the question - what is not offered in your home state.

I would look for Ancient Age 90 and T.W. Samuels Bottled In Bond.  Skip the 80 proof bottom shelf.  Maybe find some single barrel selections of brands you like, and a lot of browsing.

10 hours ago, PaulO said:

I guess the simple question then is what to pick up in KY.

Then we get into the question - what is not offered in your home state.

That's a good point, she is in CA (like me), so definitely concentrating on bottles that aren't distributed here should be key.  I don't know her or what her bourbon experience is, but that's a good place to start--good bourbons that are available in KY but not in CA.

Just curious.  Do you know where she is going?  That might help provide additional thoughts on bourbons to seek out.  For example, will she be near a distillery or close to one of the larger chains like Liquor Barn?  Even Kroger in some of the cities has a great selection.

No idea.  I don't know her; she just posted to our NextDoor group.  I'll ask her and post if she answers.

I remember going into Liquor Barn and being amazed by the sheer volume of 80 proof brands.  I had to tell myself 'I'm here to buy stuff to drink, not collecting labels'.  

So she replied, "I'm near Elizabethtown. But later on I'll be in Brandenburg. Always flying into Louisville."  if that helps.  I recall most of the distilleries on the Trail were sort of south and east of Louisville so it doesn't look like she would be close to the source (maybe close to Barton and Maker's?) so maybe we just need to find her bottles that she can find in KY stores that are not readily available in CA.

If she is in the Elizabethtown area, the best stores to check out are John O's located at 508 W. Dixie Ave., The Kroger's wine and spirit shop located at the Kroger's on Dolphin Drive (near the 94 exit for I-65). and the ubiquitous Liquor Barn at 1705 N. Dixie.  All of these stores in Elizabethtown have good selections, with John O's in most cases being the best place to start.

Another good store to check out would be Eric's (of Packages and More fame) Mammoth Liquors just off the 53 exit on I-65.  This would require a little driving but an easy run down I-65.

Edited by Kyjd75
  • I like it 1

Last time I was in Kentucky and went into a Liquor Barn I was surprised by the sheer number of NDP brands I had never seen before or even heard of. Those are likely to be the only brands she can find in Kentucky that she can't find in CA. I sometimes mail order from CA stores and am always impressed by their selection. The only other brand I can think of is New Riff. Not sure if they are in CA. Wilderness and Peerless are in CA otherwise they would be obvious choices. There are some smaller distilleries in KY that don't get nationwide distribution yet so I'd tell her to look at both the Kentucky Bourbon Trail website to see all the distilleries listed as well as the Craft website. Of course I can't vouch for very many of those distilleries.

FWIW, I have a friend in our local bourbon/cigar group that is on a quick work trip to Georgia and back. Of course he is passing through the motherland and wanted some advice. The thing I told him was to not be surprised if pricing and availability in KY was worse than it is here in Illinois. 😬 On his way back home today, he called me and sent a pic when he stopped at a Liquor Barn in Lexington. He was amazed at the size of the store. He also said that I was right. The prices weren’t any better there, and pretty much the same things were absent from the shelves. He did say they have a lot of craft and lesser known bottlings available though. Pic below: I believe this might be the same store that @Vosgar, @Galvin0791 and I stopped at a couple of years ago.😁

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

If she will be visiting often, her best option is to just explore.  There are plenty of distilleries available for day trips.  Plenty of stores available for perusing.  Only she and her boyfriend will know what they enjoy and what they don't have access to in CA.

I agree while occasionally you happen across bottles you don't see elsewhere, pricing and availability (or lack thereof) in KY can be surprising.  I would also suggest visiting some of the state parks and. of course, Mammoth Cave, Louisville and the Ohio River, and the horse farms.

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

That LB looks like the Titanic.  

That's an apt metaphor. 

I'm surprised no one so far has mentioned the legacy distillers gift shops. 🤑

Maybe find something interesting there.

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

That LB looks like the Titanic.  

LOL!  This is just crazy. Here’s the text my buddy sent me.  😯

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, flahute said:

Last time I was in Kentucky and went into a Liquor Barn I was surprised by the sheer number of NDP brands I had never seen before or even heard of...

Indeed, most are 80 proof, no age statement or 3 years old.  An easy pass.

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, flahute said:

Last time I was in Kentucky and went into a Liquor Barn I was surprised by the sheer number of NDP brands I had never seen before or even heard of. Those are likely to be the only brands she can find in Kentucky that she can't find in CA. I sometimes mail order from CA stores and am always impressed by their selection. The only other brand I can think of is New Riff. Not sure if they are in CA. Wilderness and Peerless are in CA otherwise they would be obvious choices. There are some smaller distilleries in KY that don't get nationwide distribution yet so I'd tell her to look at both the Kentucky Bourbon Trail website to see all the distilleries listed as well as the Craft website. Of course I can't vouch for very many of those distilleries.

New Riff, Wilderness Trail, and Peerless are available here in CA.  Ironically, I will be visiting Seattle next month and am trying to figure out how to score some bottles that are sold there but not in CA:  Early Times BIB, Cooper;s Craft Reserve, and JTS Brown.  Stores can't ship to CA so I either need to get them packed in a shipping container and pay the $30 on the return as a checked bag, or see if I can ship them home to myself.  Kinda hijacking my own thread a little, but I'll get back on topic:

I don't know the lady who posted the query on ND.  My approach would be to look for specific bottles (based on reviews) that aren't readily available in CA.  Maybe secondarily I would look for someone to say, "hey try Old XXX that you have never heard of."  I may start a dialogue with her to see if I (we) can be more helpful in her search.

On 11/19/2021 at 5:38 AM, IamMatt said:

That's a good point, she is in CA (like me), so definitely concentrating on bottles that aren't distributed here should be key.  I don't know her or what her bourbon experience is, but that's a good place to start--good bourbons that are available in KY but not in CA.

I would suggest JW Dant, JTS Brown, Heaven Hill green label and Very Old Barton 90 and 100 proof.  These are scarcely or not available in CA and I would be happy to get any of them.   

• I like it 1

Thanks, Fred, I forwarded that to her.  I messaged her and she is going to call me next week so maybe we can hone in on how she can get what she needs.

In Ky, you will also find plenty of Jim Beam products.  KCSB, JB BIB, DC and double oak.  Liquor Barn has a good selection, but they do not attempt to price compete.  Total Wine and Kroger are always better for pricing…

9 hours ago, fosmith said:

I would suggest JW Dant, JTS Brown, Heaven Hill green label and Very Old Barton 90 and 100 proof.  These are scarcely or not available in CA and I would be happy to get any of them.   

Yes, and the bonus is all those are probably in the $15 a 750ml range.  To the point some uninitiated people are afraid because the price is low.  I'm pretty sure the HH 90 proof 6 year (green label) is KY only.  You can't go wrong any of those.

9 hours ago, IamMatt said:

Thanks, Fred, I forwarded that to her.  I messaged her and she is going to call me next week so maybe we can hone in on how she can get what she needs.

Even better yet, figure out what she can mule home to you!

• I like it 1

24 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Even better yet, figure out what she can mule home to you!

Now there’s a thought. 🤔

Biba! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.