WT101 vs Dickel BIB -- a new perspective on "smoothness"

Kane
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've had a simple larynx surgery recently. I can eat & drink normally, but let's say I have an elevated sense of things moving through my system.

When my doctor said it's okay to go for a drink, I reached for the Dickel BIB. No issues. Perfect.

Next day I try the WT101... and SHARP PAIN. Might as well have swallowed razors. It was a very memorable 5 seconds waiting for the sip to travel down.

Similar proof, similar juice. That got me thinking, what the hell is going on here? I need a scientific explanation. Since then I've repeated the experiment with red wine, KC, Bunnahabhain 12, a frigging Hampden Overproof at 60%... nothing to report. WT101 still kills me. WT is my favorite bourbon house, I'm concerned about my future.

I want to try some other WT expressions and dig deeper into this. Any ideas?

1 hour ago, Kane said:

I've had a simple larynx surgery recently. I can eat & drink normally, but let's say I have an elevated sense of things moving through my system.

When my doctor said it's okay to go for a drink, I reached for the Dickel BIB. No issues. Perfect.

Next day I try the WT101... and SHARP PAIN. Might as well have swallowed razors. It was a very memorable 5 seconds waiting for the sip to travel down.

Similar proof, similar juice. That got me thinking, what the hell is going on here? I need a scientific explanation. Since then I've repeated the experiment with red wine, KC, Bunnahabhain 12, a frigging Hampden Overproof at 60%... nothing to report. WT101 still kills me. WT is my favorite bourbon house, I'm concerned about my future.

I want to try some other WT expressions and dig deeper into this. Any ideas?

Try the RR 10yr old.

Oh man, that is a dilemma.  Hopefully it just takes more time and your throat will recover.  Agree with RR10 recommendation.  Also give Longbranch a try.  Or if you have the Revival cask finished bourbon in your bunker you might also give it a try. 

Probably a long shot but you might also try your first pour of the evening to be some WT Honey liqueur?  It might condition things to start off.  Given, it might sound better on paper than reality.  But if I couldn't drink my favorite Wild Turkey either, I'd try anything.  Desperate times...

The two new label bottles of WT101 I've recently had have tasted hot and harsh to me as well. Not painfully but not the deliciousness I expect from the brand.  So, maybe just an off batch? 

I am very curious as to what’s happening at the chemical & physical level there. It’s not the alcohol obviously, but I don’t see what else could be an irritant specific to WT

First I would agree with Steve with the RR 10yr. Your system might like the higher corn 84% vrs 75% and lower rye 13/8% but it's really a small difference? As always drink what you like (or can :) )! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.