What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Winter 2021)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Too expensive?  Bad reviews?  Already have too many of the same in the bunker (wait, that can never happen)?  For whatever reason, why did you pass on that particular bottle today?

Passed on Booker's @$149 and Little Book @$199.  Last Booker's I bought was ages ago, and I know times change, but I thought it was overpriced when it was $50-60, outside of a couple of really nice early batches I came across along the way.

I also skipped the $55 1792 Full Proof as I've heard it drinks hot, and I have a bunch of 110-125 proof bourbons and ryes I like for that money.

• I like it 4

17 minutes ago, TBoner said:

Passed on Booker's @$149 and Little Book @$199.  Last Booker's I bought was ages ago, and I know times change, but I thought it was overpriced when it was $50-60, outside of a couple of really nice early batches I came across along the way.

I also skipped the $55 1792 Full Proof as I've heard it drinks hot, and I have a bunch of 110-125 proof bourbons and ryes I like for that money.

The 1792 FP is a bit hot but is fine straight or water IMO. I can understand passing tho, just can be hard to find at times.

EHT Small Batch $100

This was from a store up the road that I’ve been shopping at for years. Looks like I’ll find somewhere else to buy my wife’s wine.

Edited by mal00768
  • I like it 6

On 12/24/2021 at 5:18 PM, mal00768 said:

Looks like I’ll find somewhere else to buy my wife’s wine.

You should probably let the owner know, so they don't order as much going forward.

• I like it 1

Buffalo Trace.

Price was fair, ($21.00...with a 2 bottle limit), but I have a mostly full liter bottle,  and an unopened 750ml,  in the bunker. I rarely drink it, but keep it on-hand for guests.  I snagged some at that same price,  earlier in the month, and gifted them.

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 5

On 12/24/2021 at 6:18 PM, mal00768 said:

EHT Small Batch $100

This was from a store up the road that I’ve been shopping at for years. Looks like I’ll find somewhere else to buy my wife’s wine.

My area is starting to talk to your area?

Rip

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Buffalo Trace.

Price was fair, ($21.00...with a 2 bottle limit), but I have a mostly full liter bottle,  and an unopened 750ml,  in the bunker. I rarely drink it, but keep it on-hand for guests.  I snagged some at that same price,  earlier in the month, and gifted them.

I have tried to think that I have "outgrown" BT (one of my first bourbons in the new bourbon age) but I keep going back to it for old fashions, on the rocks etc., for the money a very drinkable bourbon. 

(This from a guy who has 6 EHT SmB, 6 ER, 6  Blantons, Weller 12 yr, Weller 107, Weller SR, Pappy 12 yr, Pappy 15 yr Stagg Jr. and GTS in the bunker to drink) I still think BT worth drinking regularly.

I find myself buying a bottle even if I have 1 or 2 at home.

• I like it 6

2 hours ago, yobber76 said:

I have tried to think that I have "outgrown" BT (one of my first bourbons in the new bourbon age) but I keep going back to it for old fashions, on the rocks etc., for the money a very drinkable bourbon. 

(This from a guy who has 6 EHT SmB, 6 ER, 6  Blantons, Weller 12 yr, Weller 107, Weller SR, Pappy 12 yr, Pappy 15 yr Stagg Jr. and GTS in the bunker to drink) I still think BT worth drinking regularly.

Agreed, for the money.  As long as I continue to find it for under $23.00, I'll keep to buying it.  For whatever reason, the package stores seem to always have it, in the $19.00-$23.00 range.

Back in the day,  I "discovered" it, as an alternative to MM. I liked it more, (and still do), and it was cheaper too😉

It's solid and we always have a couple bottles on-hand.  

• I like it 1

I don’t post much these days, or drink much at all since my lovely wife quit drinking over the summer. But, I’ll still walk a whiskey section of a store or whatever just for fun to look around. Was traveling recently and walked through a duty fee store and saw the always frustrating Blanton’s. Now, Blanton’s isn’t something I geek out about at all, and historically I’ve gifted many more bottles than I drank because it’s a nice gift a lot of people enjoy, more than me, so I still would buy it in the front past if it was $50ish. I notice how much some people strain and search for it though, which is why it make me chuckle to see at least 80 bottles on the shelves at the duty free shop. For a hot second I thought maybe I’d buy one or two for gifts, but my fully zen vibe these days reminded me it wasn’t that important. Still funny though. 

Happy New Years SB 

• I like it 7

2 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

I don’t post much these days, or drink much at all since my lovely wife quit drinking over the summer. But, I’ll still walk a whiskey section of a store or whatever just for fun to look around. Was traveling recently and walked through a duty fee store and saw the always frustrating Blanton’s. Now, Blanton’s isn’t something I geek out about at all, and historically I’ve gifted many more bottles than I drank because it’s a nice gift a lot of people enjoy, more than me, so I still would buy it in the front past if it was $50ish. I notice how much some people strain and search for it though, which is why it make me chuckle to see at least 80 bottles on the shelves at the duty free shop. For a hot second I thought maybe I’d buy one or two for gifts, but my fully zen vibe these days reminded me it wasn’t that important. Still funny though. 

Happy New Years SB 

And happy zen to you!

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/27/2021 at 6:54 PM, yobber76 said:

Love BT ....just solid all around. Nothing special but I too go back to it often. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.